Table of Contents
Found in every household’s kitchen, garlic is one of the common and most important ingredients that is used to enhance the flavours of the dishes made worldwide. Native to Central Asia and northeastern Iran, garlic is closely related to onions, shallots, leeks, chives and chinese onion. A bulbous plant well-known for its medicinal properties and traditional uses, garlic is also used as a prevention and cure for many serious medical conditions.
Benefits of Garlic
1. Helps burn body fat
Garlic is used as a medicine that helps to burn body fat effectively because it has properties that generate heat in the body on consumption. A study published in November 2011 in the “The Journal of Nutrition” concluded that consuming Garlic has a huge impact on how our body retains fat. Consuming garlic on a regular basis helps to hamper the processes in our body which help in accumulating fat and breaks down the already stored fats in our body.
2. Stimulates Hunger
Effective in regulating the hunger caused by the consumption of an improper quantity of food or junk food, garlic regulates the hunger hormones by satiating your urge to have more food, thus making you eat less. As a result, this prevents your body from over-eating and consuming unhealthy food and maintaining a proper balance between the nutrients required and nutrients consumed.
3. Boosts Metabolism and Detoxifies The Body
Consuming garlic on a regular basis helps the body release an organic chemical norepinephrine which is a neurotransmitter that helps mobilize the brain and body for action, thus boosting the metabolism of our body. Apart from this, garlic also helps in flushing out toxins and other harmful substances from the body, easing the bodily functions like digestion.
4. Lowers BP
When finely chopped or crushed, Garlic releases a compound named Allicin which helps lower Blood Pressure. If you suffer from High Blood Pressure, adding garlic to your daily diet will help lower your blood pressure thus resulting in a healthier heart.
Also Read - Fenugreek for Weight Loss | Garcinia Cambogia for Weight Loss
How does garlic benefit in weight loss?
Consuming garlic once or twice a week won’t get you into your dream shape or perfect weight. Including it in your diet daily will help slowly but surely. In an indirect way, garlic does help in losing weight by satiating your hunger and helping the body burn excess and stored fat. To see effective results, avoid eating junk food while you’re bent on including garlic in your diet. Doing yoga and other exercises along with consuming garlic can be of a lot of help.
How to consume?
- Consume Raw Garlic: Eat two to three raw garlic cloves every day on an empty stomach or before going to bed. It will help you get rid of the extra weight and will also help increase your blood circulation.
- Garlic Tea: Bring a cup of water to boil and add half slit garlic cloves into it. Add honey and lemon after two minutes and turn off the flame. Stir well and drink. Follow this daily will help you lose weight and will help you cure many other health issues.
- Ginger Garlic Juice: Boil one cup of water, add garlic and ginger in it and leave it to boil for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat, strain and add lemon and pepper in it. Drinking this every night right before going to bed will help boost your metabolism and break down the fat cells.
- Lemon and Garlic Water: Take a glass of chilled water and squeeze a lemon into it. Crush 2-3 garlic cloves and mint leaves together and add to the lemon water. Stir and drink. An effective detox recipe, this drink will help in burning excess body fat.
Dr. Simran Saini, a Delhi-based Nutritionist, and weight loss consultant is totally smitten by the medicinal benefits that garlic possesses. She advises to consume garlic in a manner where you place a garlic clove between two teeth, bite it a little so that it releases its extracts and then swallow the whole garlic clove with water. “The medicinal value of garlic is best unlocked when it is consumed raw.” she adds.
- Make sure you don’t consume garlic in excess. 2-3 cloves a day would work wonders but consuming 4 or more may lead to certain side effects.
- People who have any heart ailment or suffer from Asthma should refrain from consuming garlic.
- People who have recently undergone a surgery should not consume garlic as it can cause bleeding.
- People with low blood pressure should not eat garlic, though it is recommended for people with high blood pressure.
Do consult a nutritionist before trying to add garlic to your everyday diet.