Table of Contents
- What is Gaviscon?
- Uses of Gaviscon
- How Does Gaviscon Work?
- How to Take Gaviscon?
- Gaviscon Price In India
- Common Dosage for Gaviscon
- Precautions – When to Avoid Gaviscon?
- Side-Effects of Gaviscon
- Allergic Reactions Reported
- Effects of Gaviscon on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Gaviscon
- Storage Requirements about Gaviscon
- Pro Tips When Taking Gaviscon
- FAQs – Things to Know About Gaviscon
- Is Gaviscon addictive?
- Can I have Gaviscon with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Gaviscon when pregnant?
- Can I have Gaviscon when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Gaviscon?
- What happens if I overdose on Gaviscon?
- What happens if I eat expired Gaviscon?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Gaviscon?
- When Was Gaviscon Made?
What is Gaviscon?
Gaviscon is a combination of Aluminium hydroxide and magnesium carbonate. It is also available as ‘Acid Gone’. Gaviscon is an antacid which reduces the production of acid in the stomach.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Code | Netmeds Offers Today
Uses of Gaviscon
Gaviscon is used to treat:
- Upset stomach
- Pain and
- Discomfort due to excess stomach acid production
Also Read: Glibenclamide Uses | Gemer Uses
How Does Gaviscon Work?
Gaviscon blocks the acid pumping cells in the stomach by reducing the proton pumps in the stomach lining. This results in reduction of excessive production of acids within the stomach.
How to Take Gaviscon?
- Gaviscon is available in tablet forms and syrup forms in varied dosages.
- Take the medication with a full glass of water.
- Swallow it whole. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Gaviscon can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take Gaviscon at a fixed time every day.
Gaviscon Price In India
|Bottle of 150 ml Syrup||Rs 102.00|
Common Dosage for Gaviscon
The dosage may differ for various conditions. The common adult dosage is between 10 mg to 30 mg and 15 ml to 49 ml which can be taken once or twice a day. It is not usually recommended for children.
Other medicine's Dosage: Envas Dosage | Etophylline Dosage | Formet Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Gaviscon?
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Avoid consuming alcohol
- Don’t take Gaviscon along with certain medications.
- Gaviscon induces vomiting. Hence, do not have this drug on a full stomach.
Side-Effects of Gaviscon
Some common side effects of Gaviscon are:
- Abdominal pain
- Increasing the count of liver enzymes
Allergic Reactions Reported
Allergic reactions such as skin rashes have been reported with Gaviscon.
Effects of Gaviscon on Organs
A high dosage or long-term use of Gaviscon can cause impaired functions in liver and kidney if you already have problems in liver and kidney.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which can cause serious side effects with Gaviscon are Anticholinergic drugs as they reduce the effect of Gaviscon in the body. The other drugs are aspirin, ibuprofen, folic acid, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Gaviscon
Rapid Gaviscon will show its effect within 30 to 60 minutes which will last for up to 4 to 6 hours.
Storage Requirements about Gaviscon
Gaviscon can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture and direct light. Also, ensure that this medicine is not freezed.
Pro Tips When Taking Gaviscon
- Do not abruptly stop taking Gaviscon as it may cause some adverse effects on the body.
- If you have conditions such as kidney or liver diseases, you must consult your doctor before taking Gaviscon.
FAQs – Things to Know About Gaviscon
Is Gaviscon addictive?
No, Gaviscon is not addictive.
Can I have Gaviscon with alcohol?
No. Having Gaviscon with alcohol will cause side effects of moderate intensity.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Yes. Avoid grapefruit juice while taking Gaviscon.
Can I have Gaviscon when pregnant?
No. It is not recommended by a doctor unless it is necessary.
Can I have Gaviscon when feeding a baby?
No. Gaviscon can pass through the breast milk which can affect infants.
Can I drive after taking Gaviscon?
No, you will feel drowsy after taking Gaviscon.
What happens if I overdose on Gaviscon?
It is not reported to cause any serious side effects. You should contact your doctor immediately if you consume an overdose of Gaviscon.
What happens if I eat expired Gaviscon?
An expired Gaviscon might not show adverse reactions. However, it is better to consult your doctor immediately in case of serious adverse reactions.
What happens if I miss a dose of Gaviscon?
If you miss a dose of Gaviscon take it as soon as you remember it within 12 hours. If you don’t, just go back your regular dosage.
When Was Gaviscon Made?
Gaviscon was made in the late 1990’s.
Also read about other medicine's: Ganaton | Gabaneuron | Fruselac