Table of Contents
- What Is Gefitinib?
- Uses Of Gefitinib
- How Does Gefitinib Work?
- Gefitinib Price in India
- How to Take Gefitinib?
- Common Dosage Of Gefitinib
- When to Avoid & Gefitinib Precautions To Take?
- Side Effects Of Gefitinib
- What Are The Effects of Gefitinib on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to be careful about?
- Shows Effects/Results In
- Storage Requirements for Gefitinib
- Pro Tips When Taking Gefitinib
- Is Gefitinib addictive?
- Can I have Gefitinib with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Gefitinib when pregnant?
- Can I have Gefitinib when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Gefitinib?
- What happens if I overdose on Gefitinib?
- What happens if I eat expired Gefitinib?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Gefitinib?
What Is Gefitinib?
Gefitinib is a cancer chemotherapy agent used in treating non-small lung cancer after other cancer chemotherapy treatments have not been successful.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines offers | Medlife coupon code
Uses Of Gefitinib
Gefitinib is used to treat non-small lung cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Also Read: Glynase uses | Doxovent uses | Lamisil uses
How Does Gefitinib Work?
- An enzyme called epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase (EGFR-TK) is overexpressed in people with non-small lung cancer and certain other types of cancers like head and neck cancer.
- Gefitinib acts by inhibiting this EGFR-TK enzyme, thus stopping further growth of cancer cells.
Gefitinib Price in India
|Bottle of 30 tablets of Krypton Gefitinib 250mg||Rs. 6500|
How to Take Gefitinib?
- Gefitinib comes in tablet form to be taken by mouth.
- It can be taken with or without food once in a day.
- Take Gefitinib at around the same time every day for maximum benefits.
Common Dosage Of Gefitinib
- The usual adult dosage of Gefitinib is 250mg once in a day.
- This dosage may be increased up to 500mg with close monitoring of the patient.
- Dosage adjustments are required in people with liver and kidney diseases.
When to Avoid & Gefitinib Precautions To Take?
- Gefitinib is contraindicated in patients suffering from Intestinal Pneumonitis and/or Lung fibrosis.
- Gefitinib should be avoided in people have a severe renal impairment or liver diseases.
- Gefitinib should be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Read More: Gabantin precautions | Duofilm Precautions | Ketanov precautions
Side Effects Of Gefitinib
Common side effects of Gefitinib include –
- Dry skin
- Skin rashes
Other less common side effects include –
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
- Eye infection
- Mouth ulcers
- Weight loss
What Are The Effects of Gefitinib on Organs?
- Gefitinib may cause or worsen liver and kidney diseases.
- Gefitinib may damage the stomach and intestinal walls.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- An allergic reaction to Gefitinib is very rare.
- Symptoms of an allergy include severe rashes, itching, dizziness and difficulty in breathing.
- Seek immediate medical attention in case of allergic reaction.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Before taking Gefitinib to inform your doctor if you are taking any of these medications
- Blood thinners like warfarin
- Proton pump inhibitors like ranitidine, cimetidine, omeprazole etc.
- NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, naproxen etc
- Corticosteroids like prednisolone
Shows Effects/Results In
The time required for the onset of action and duration of effects of Gefitinib is not clinically established.
Storage Requirements for Gefitinib
- Store at room temperature (20-25°C) away from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the reach of children and pets
Pro Tips When Taking Gefitinib
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to Gefitinib
- Avoid use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Take the medicine at about the same time every day
Is Gefitinib addictive?
No, Gefitinib is not addictive.
Can I have Gefitinib with alcohol?
No, it is not recommended to have Gefitinib with alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Gefitinib when pregnant?
No, it is not recommended to have Gefitinib when pregnant.
Can I have Gefitinib when feeding a baby?
No, it is not recommended to have Gefitinib when feeding a baby.
Can I drive after taking Gefitinib?
Yes, it is okay to drive after taking Gefitinib.
What happens if I overdose on Gefitinib?
Overdosage may lead to difficulty in breathing and fainting. Seek immediate medical attention.
What happens if I eat expired Gefitinib?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired Gefitinib however if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Gefitinib?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember but if less than 12 hours are remaining before your next dose, then skip the missed dose.
Also Read: Lokit | Imol | Hepatoglobine