Table of Contents
- What is Gemcal?
- Uses of Gemcal
- How to take Gemcal?
- Common Dosage for Gemcal
- When to Avoid Gemcal?
- Precautions While Taking Gemcal
- Side-Effects of Gemcal
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Gemcal Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Gemcal
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Gemcal
- Authored By –
1What is Gemcal?
It is a medicine which is used for prevention or treatment of calcium and vitamin deficiencies like rickets, osteoporosis and Fanconi syndrome etc. Increased thirst & urination and photophobia are the major side effects at repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of kidney diseases, and in patients with increased calcium levels (hypercalcaemia).
Gemcal Composition: Calcitrol 0.25mcg + Calcium carbonate 500mg + Elemental Zinc 7.5mg.
Manufactured By: Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC
Form: Tablets, capsules, suspensions.
Price: Rs 260 for 15 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Nutritional supplement.
2Uses of Gemcal
Gemcal is used for the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Vitamin D deficiency: Used in cases of vitamin D deficiency like rickets/osteomalacia, bone and muscle soreness.
- Anaemia: Used to treat anaemia by improving the Haemoglobin levels of blood.
- Wilson’s disease: Used to treat wilson’s disease.
- Bleeding disorders: Used in cases of bleeding and clotting disorders.
- Bone growth: Used in kidney patients to maintain normal calcium level and thereby promoting normal bone growth.
- Gastric Acidity: used to treat gastric acidity and heartburn.
- Others: Used to treat other calcium-related disorders like hypoparathyroidism, familial hypophosphatemia and Fanconi syndrome.
How does Gemcal work?
- Gemcal is composed of Calcitrol, Calcium carbonate and Zinc.
- Calcitrol works by promoting absorption of dietary calcium inside the body through intestines.
- Calcium carbonate provides the adequate amount of calcium to the body and bones.
- Zinc works by promoting the overall health and growth of the body.
3How to take Gemcal?
- Gemcal is usually available in Capsule and syrup form.
- Capsules are usually administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water as instructed by the doctor. It should be taken empty stomach for better absorption.
- Capsules should never be crushed or chewed.
- It is advisable not to eat or drink anything 30 minutes after oral administration of Gemcal Capsule.
- Before consuming the suspension form of Gemcal, it should be shaken up properly to have a homogenous mix of medication and a measuring cup should be used always for correct dose administration.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding about the drug.
4Common Dosage for Gemcal
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- Common dose of Gemcal in adults is 1 capsule a day or as decided by the doctor as per the severity of the symptoms.
- Paediatric consultation is mandatory before administering the drug to children.
- The gap of atleast 10-12 hours should be there between the two doses.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Gemcal?
Overdose of Gemcal can lead to increase calcium levels in the blood leading to calcium toxicity with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, increased urination, and thirst and heart arrhythmias. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Gemcal overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Gemcal?
Gemcal may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Gemcal should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Gemcal?
A single dose of expired Gemcal is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Gemcal?
The time taken by the drug to exhibit desirable effects depends on the condition being treated and varies with every individual.
Also read: Glycomet GP2 Dosage | Glimepiride Dosage | Gabapin NT (1) Dosage
5When to Avoid Gemcal?
Do not Consume Gemcal Tablets:
- Allergy: In known cases of history of allergy to gemcal or any of its ingredients.
- Dehydration: In known cases of dehydration or patient suffering from incomplete and infrequent bowel movement.
- Hypercalcemia/increased levels of vitamin D: In known cases of increased levels of calcium and vitamin D.
- Epilepsy: In known cases of epilepsy, as it might worsen the condition.
- Kidney Diseases: In cases or history of kidney impairment.
- Increased Parathyroid Gland: In cases of hyperactive parathyroid gland.
- Sarcoidosis: In cases of patient suffering from sarcoidosis.
- Blood transfusion: In cases of the patient undergoing repeated blood transfusions.
6Precautions While Taking Gemcal
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Gemcal should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided as it can lead to toxicity.
- Time Interval: A gap of 10-12 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
- Concomitant drug: concomitant use of antacids containing calcium and magnesium should be avoided to prevent toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Gemcal
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to toxicity or other undesirable effects.
- Gemcal should not be administered to patients with malabsorption problems.
- Concomitant use of vitamin D supplement should be avoided.
7Side-Effects of Gemcal
The side effects associated with Gemcal Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Headache (common)
- Irritability (common)
- Metallic taste (less common)
- High blood pressure (less common)
- Appetite loss (common)
- Increased thirst, dry mouth (common)
- Weight loss (less common)
- Albuminuria (protein in urine) (rare)
- Photophobia (aversion to light) (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (less common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Gemcal?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Gemcal tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness. (less common)
What are the effects of Gemcal on organs?
- Doctor should be consulted before taking Gemcal if one is suffering from kidney disease as suitable dose adjustment and monitoring of kidney functions is mandatory in such cases.
8Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Gemcal. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Gemcal. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Gemcal
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Gemcal
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Acetaminophen (mild)
- Alendronate (moderate)
- Amlodipine (mild)
- Aspirin (moderate)
- Amikacin (mild)
- Amiloride (mild)
- Carvedilol (mild)
- Ciprofloxacin (mild)
- Clopidogrel (moderate)
- Cholestyramine, colestipol, or mineral oil (mild)
- Thiazide diuretics (moderate)
- Magnesium containing drugs such as antacids and laxatives (moderate)
3. Effects of Gemcalon Lab Tests
Gemcal affects serum calcium, phosphorus, and alkaline phosphatase levels.
4. Gemcal’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any kidney diseases or allergic reactions should be taken into consideration.
Q. Can I have Gemcal with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects with alcohol so, alcohol should be avoided. The consulting physician should be informed if you’re consuming alcohol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Gemcal when pregnant?
No, Gemcal is not recommended for pregnant women as it is not considered safe for pregnant women and may harm the foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Gemcal when feeding a baby?
No, Gemcal is not recommended for lactating mother. The doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Gemcal?
One can drive after taking Gemcal but should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
9Buyer’s Guide – Gemcal Composition, Variant and Price
|Gemcal 120ml suspension||Calcitrol 0.063 mcg + elemental calcium 100mg/5ml||Rs. 158 for 1 pack|
|Gemcal Kit||Calcitrol 0.25 mcg + calcium carbonate 500mg + elemental zinc 7.5mg + Risedronate 35mg||Rs. 194 for 1 pack|
|Gemcal DS capsule||Calcitrol 0.25 mcg + elemental calcium 500mg + Vitamin K2-7 45mcg||Rs. 365.50 for 15 capsules|
|Gemcal D3 capsule||Calcium carbonate 1250mg + Vitamin D3 500 IU||Rs. 87 for 10 capsules|
|Gemcal Plus capsule||Calcitrol 0.25 mcg + Elemental boron 1.5mg + calcium carbonate 250mg + elemental magnesium 50mg + elemental zinc 7.5mg + Mecobalamin 750mcg+ Vitamin K2-7 45mcg||Rs. 216.50 for 10 capsules|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Practo Offers | Medlife Coupon Code
10Substitutes of Gemcal
The following are alternative drugs for Gemcal:
- Caca Z Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Alred Healthcare
- Price – Rs. 225
- Calzem Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 124
- Aeocal CT Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Aeon Pharma.
- Price – Rs. 100
- Gemful Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Wockhardt.
- Price – Rs. 211
Storage requirements for Gemcal Tablets
- Gemcal Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
11FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Gemcal
Q. What is Gemcal?
Ans. Gemcal is a calcium and vitamin D3 supplement. It is used to treat vitamin D3 and calcium deficiency.
Q. How long does it take for Gemcal to show results?
Ans. Gemcal tablet shows effect within first few days of starting the oral administration.
Q. Should Gemcal be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Gemcal should be taken empty stomach for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Gemcal make you drowsy?
Ans. Gemcal may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Gemcal Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 8-10 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Gemcal toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Gemcal should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Gemcal.
Q. Does Gemcal effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Gemcal safe for children?
Ans. Gemcal should not be administered to children without consulting paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Gemcal?
Ans. Any liver problems, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Gemcal
Q. Is Gemcal legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
12Authored By –