What Is Gemfibrozil?
- Gemfibrozil is an antihyperlipidimic drug. It is used to lower the level of bad cholesterol in body.
- Gemifibrozil belongs to group of drugs called as ”Fibrates” and it should be administered along with proper diet and other life style modification changes like exercise and quitting alcohol.
Uses Of Gemfibrozil
Gemfibrozil is used in the treatment of –
- Hypertriglyceridemia (high levels of triglycerides in blood)
- Hyperlipoproteinemia (high levels of lipids in blood)
- Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
How Does Gemfibrozil Work?
- Gemfibrozil is a lipid regulating drug which decreases the triglycerides and VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) cholesterol and increases HDL (high density lipoprotein) Cholesterol which is considered to be good for health.
How to Take Gemfibrozil?
- Gemfibrozil is available as 600mg tablet meant to be taken orally, at least 30 min before morning and evening meal.
- Gemfibrozil should be used an adjunct along with other life style modifications like diet, exercise and weight control.
Common Dosage Of Gemfibrozil
Common dosage of Gemfibrozil is 600mg, twice daily.
When to Avoid Gemfibrozil & Precautions To Take?
- It should not be administered in patients allergic to it.
- Gemfibrozil is contraindicated in severe liver/renal disease, primary biliary cirrhosis and preexisting gallbladder disease.
- Use with caution in patients taking warfarin. Dosage adjustments in warfarin may be required.
- It should not be used along with other lipid lowering drugs like Simvastatins.
- Gemfibrozil may cause myopathy leading to muscle pain, tenderness, and weakness. If such adverse effects are seen, immediately contact your doctor.
- Gemfibrozil may lower the blood cell count, use with caution in patients with existing blood disorders.
Side Effects Of Gemfibrozil
Common side effects of Gemfibrozil include –
- Pain in bladder
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle pain
Effect on Organs?
- Gemfibrozil impairs renal and hepatic functions.
- Gemfibrozil may cause myopathy (muscle disease leading to pain in muscles, weakness).
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, tightness of chest and swelling of face, tongue and throat. . Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Gemfibrozil interacts with the following drugs-
Shows Effects/Results In
- Onset of action of Gemfibrozil can be seen within 1 to 2 hours.
- Duration of effect lasts for about 4 to 6 hours.
Storage Requirements for Gemfibrozil
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Gemfibrozil
- Close monitoring of blood cell levels must be done during treatment with Gemfibrozil.
- Concurrent administration of Gemfibrozil and Warfarin should not be done in order to prevent bleeding complications. Dose reduction of warfarin can be done to maintain the Prothrombin time.
- Continuous monitoring of blood lipids should be done once the therapy has initiated. The drug should be withdrawn after three months if the response is inadequate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gemfibrozil addictive?
Can I have Gemfibrozil with alcohol?
Alcohol may interfere with the lipid profile of the patient thus it should be avoided.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Gemfibrozil when pregnant?
it should be used in pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to fetus as there are no adequate and well controlled studies in pregnant women.
Can I have Gemfibrozil when feeding a baby?
It is not known whether the drug is secreted in breast milk or not thus it should only be used in lactating mothers when clearly needed.
Can I drive after taking Gemfibrozil?
What happens if I overdose on Gemfibrozil?
Seek medical attention upon overdosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Gemfibrozil?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose Gemfibrozil?
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose