Skip to Content
- What is Gentamicin?
- Uses Of Gentamicin
- How does Gentamicin work?
- How to Take Gentamicin?
- Gentamicin Price in India
- Common Dosage for Gentamicin?
- When to Avoid Gentamicin?
- Side-effects of Gentamicin?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Effect on organs
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Is Gentamicin Addictive?
- Can I have Gentamicin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Gentamicin When Pregnant?
- Can I have Gentamicin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Gentamicin?
- Storage Requirements for Gentamicin
- Pro tips
Gentamicin Composition – Gentamicin 80 MG
Manufactured By – Abbott
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Injection
Price – Rs 40
Quantity – 80mg in a vial
What is Gentamicin?
- Gentamicin belongs to “aminoglycoside” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Other variants and compositions
|Gentamycin 40Mg 20Ml Injection||Gentamicin 40 MG|
|Gentamycin Sulphate 15Gm Ointment||Gentamicin 0.1 %W/W|
|Gentamycin Eye 5Ml Drops||Gentamicin 0.3 %W/V|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Promo Code
Uses Of Gentamicin
- Bacterial septicemia (including neonatal sepsis);
- Infections of the respiratory tract,
- Eye infections
- Infections of bones and joints,
- Infections of central nervous system (including meningitis)
- Skin and soft tissue infections;
- Intra-abdominal infections (including peritonitis);
- Burns and postoperative infections (including post-vascular surgery).
- Complicated and recurrent urinary tract infections
- Infectious diarrhea
- Typhoid (enteric fever)
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils etc
Gentamicin may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Melphalan Uses | Methotrexate Uses | Misoprostol Uses
How does Gentamicin work?
- Gentamicin belongs to aminoglycoside group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability).
- Aminoglycosides disrupt the synthesis of proteins, thus killing the bacteria and checking its growth.
How to Take Gentamicin?
- In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Gentamicin, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Gentamicin should be selected based on culture and susceptibility information (a particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria),
- Available in the form of sterile, colorless to light straw colored solution.
- Gentamicin is injected to the patient by a healthcare professional.
- Gentamicin is also available in the form of eye drops – To use eye drops, you must wash your hand first and do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface.
Gentamicin Price in India
|80 mg Vial of 2 ml Injection||Rs 5.06|
Also Read: Loperamide Price
Common Dosage for Gentamicin?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
age and body weight of the patient
health status/medical condition of the patient
reaction to the first dose
history of allergy/drug reactions
When to Avoid Gentamicin?
Gentamicin is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of antibiotic
Gentamicin should not be used in:
Patients allergic to Gentamicin
If you are allergic to drugs belonging to aminoglycoside family like Amikacin.
In patients suffering from Myasthenia Gravis
In patients suffering from cystic fibrosis
In patients suffering from hearing problems
In patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease
In patients suffering from kidney diseases
In patients suffering from electrolyte imbalances
Side-effects of Gentamicin?
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. Treatment with Gentamicin for more than 10 days has not been established as being safe. Side effects increases with advanced age and prolonged use.
The most common side effect is local pain with intramuscular injections.
Proteinuria – Loss of proteins in urine.
Nephrotoxicity: Kidney function changes should be closely monitored in patients
Elevated liver enzymes
Vertigo, imbalance, dizziness.
Nausea and vomiting
Headache, drug fever
Rare: Neuropathy, rashes.
Also Read: Sucrafil Side Effect | Suhagra 100 Side Effect | Tramadol Side Effect
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Gentamicin is used to treat bacterial infections but an allergic reaction to Gentamicin might occur.
Possible allergic reactions reported include: itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing and loss of consciousness.
Effect on organs
- Use in kidney disease: Use with caution. Concentrations should be monitored for patients with impaired kidney function.
- Presumed to be safe in severe liver disease; however, use with caution in patients with severe liver disease.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- Some of the common drugs which interact with Gentamicin include:
- Co-administration of loop diuretics (furosemide)
- Other aminoglycoside antibiotics
- polymyxin B,
- amphotericin B,
- halogenated hydrocarbon inhalation anaesthetics,
- opioid analgesics
Shows Effects / Results In:
The time taken for Gentamicin to show its effect depends upon its intended use.
Is Gentamicin Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Gentamicin with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with Gentamicin is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Gentamicin When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The medicine should be used with great caution during pregnancy as it may have adverse effects on the foetus
Can I have Gentamicin when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
It is not known whether Gentamicin is excreted in breast milk.
Since the possible harmful effect on the infant is not known, it is recommended that if nursing mothers must be given Gentamicin, the infants should not be breast fed during therapy
Can I drive after taking Gentamicin?
Few patients might experience blurring of vision as a side effect, in such cases it should be used with caution while driving.
Storage Requirements for Gentamicin
-Store at 20 to 25C (68 to 77F).
– Protect from light
Gentamicin is present in high concentrations in the urine excretory system; therefore, patients should be well hydrated to minimize irritation/damage of the kidney tubules.