George Clooney Movies that we can’t get enough of
George Clooney is one of the most multitalented actors working in the movie business today. His nuanced performances and suave personality has earned him a legion of fans that have helped him become a household name. The American actor, filmmaker and businessman made his acting debut in 1978 on television. He has received numerous accolades and awards including three Golden Globe Awards and two Academy Awards for his performances. Here is a list of top ten George Clooney movies that are his absolute bests.
Top 10 movies of George Clooney:
- Director: Steven Soderbergh
- Cast: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Matt Damon, Andie Garcia, Bernie Mac, Casey Affleck
- Release date: 7th December 2001
The story centers on Danny Ocean who is a gangster and is both wry and charismatic. Less than 24 hours into his parole from a New Jersey penitentiary, he rolls out his next plan. The con and artist follows three rules: to hurt no one, to never steal from anyone who doesn’t deserve it, and to play the game like there’s nothing to lose. He assembles a group of eleven people to steal money from three popular casinos in Las Vegas owned by his rival, Terry Benedict. He then orchestrates the most sophisticated, elaborate casino heist in history.
2.Batman and Robin
- Director: Joel Schumacher
- Cast: George Clooney, Chris O Donnell, Uma Thurman, Pat Hingle, Alicia Silverstone, Arnold Schwarzene
- Release Date: 12th June 1997
The movie is based on DC Comics characters of Batman and Robin. The superhero adventure movie finds Batman and Robin collaborating in a combined effort to thwart the sinister schemes of a deranged set of new villains, most notably the melancholy Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy, a plant loving femme fatale. Soon after, they are joined by Batgirl, who becomes one among the city’s crime-fighters.
3.The Perfect Storm
- Director: Wolfgang Petersen
- Cast: George Clooney, Diane Lane, John C Reilly, Karen Allen, John Hawkes, Allen Payne.
- Release Date: 30th June 2000
The Perfect Storm is a movie adaptation of the novel of the same name by Sebastian Junger. The storyline concerns Bill Tyne who along with his crew embarks on a fishing expedition on a commercial fishing vessel. When their ice machine stops working, they get worried about their fish getting spoiled. But their worst fears are realized at sea on Halloween of 1991, when they are confronted by the fiercest storm to wreck havoc in modern history — “The Perfect Storm.” The film is a depiction of the real life heroes who pit their fishing boats in turbulent seas and how they venture to rescue vessels against the capricious forces of nature.
- Director: Tony Gilroy
- Cast: George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, Austin Williams, Dennis O’ Hare
- Release Date: September 24th 2007
Michael Clayton is a legal thriller film that depicts the story of an attorney named Michael Clayton. While representing a corrupt chemical company in a multi-billion dollar legal suit, one of New York law firm’s top litigators suffers a breakdown while he represents a corrupt chemical corporation in a multi-billion dollar legal suit. Michael Clayton is asked to fix the mess which the firm wants swept under the rug. Clayton finds himself torn between his desire to do the right thing and a pressing need to pay off his escalating personal debts.
- Director: David O Russell
- Cast: George Clooney, Ice Cube, Nora Dunn, Mark Wahlberg, Jamie Kennedy, Cliff Curtis
- Release Date: October 1st 1999
When the Gulf War ends, a group of US soldiers stumble upon information about a huge cache of Saddam Hussein’s gold hidden near their base. The group is led by cynical Sergeant Major Archie Gates. Three of the men are rescued by rebels, but Sergeant Troy Barlow is captured and tortured by Iraqi intelligence. The rebels ask the soldiers to help them fight Hussein’s Elite Guards. Their adventurous joyride turns into a mission when they agree to do so.
6.The Ides of March
- Director: George Clooney
- Cast: George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Evan Rachel Wood, Phillip Seymour, Paul Giamatti, Max Minghella
- Release Date: October 7th 2011
Stephen Meyer manages Mike Morris’ campaign but gets embroiled in a political scandal that can sabotage his career and also jeopardize Mike’s shot at presidency. Meyer is a man who is oblivious to the corrupt and morally ambiguous politics that he has to adopt to stay alive in this world. Can he pull Mike Morris through it all?
- Director: Anton Corbijn
- Cast: George Clooney, Violante Placido, Thelka Reuten, Johan Leysen, Anna Fogliet
- Release Date: September 1st 2010
The American is an adaptation of the novel ‘A very private gentleman’ by Martin Booth. Jack is a contract killer who does his job with absolute precision. He is asked to design a high-end sniper rifle for an assassination. But when the assignment in Sweden ends in a fiasco, he retreats to the Italian countryside with the sole objective of remaining anonymous. There he befriends a local priest and pursues a romantic relationship with a beautiful woman. However, he isn’t aware that all his actions are being scrutinized by a secret assassin from Sweden that leaves him hung precariously between life and death.
- Director: Alexander Payne
- Cast: Amara Miller, Judy Greer, George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Nick Krause, Beau Bridges
- Release Date: November 18th 2011
The Descendants is based on the novel of the same name by Kaui Hart Hemmings. It revolves around the life of a person named Matt King who lives with his family in Hawaii. A tragic accident leaves his wife in a coma that tumbles down their world. Matt and his two girls have to deal head on with calamities that the family faces. As per his wife’s will, they have to choose to allow her to die with dignity. He also faces pressure from relatives to sell their family’s enormous land trust besides having the responsibility of finding the man she was seeing before the accident.
9.Oh brother where art thou?
- Director: Ethan and Joel Coen
- Cast: George Clooney, Tim Blake Nelson, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, John Turturro
- Release Date: 2nd February 2001
Ulysses Everett McGill faces a difficult time adjusting to his hard-labor sentence in Mississippi. So he tricks two other inmates to escape from the prison in order to find a treasure Ulysses had buried before getting caught. They go through myriad of events while the police are close at heels. But is treasure the real motive for McGill’s break-free?
10.Burn After Reading
- Director: Ethan and Joel Coen
- Cast: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, Richard Jenkins, J K Simmons
- Release Date: 12th September 2008
Two gym employees Linda Litzke and Chad Feldheimer chance upon a CD that contains the memoirs of a former CIA analyst. The two sees a chance to sell it back to him, failing which they plan to sell it to the Russian embassy, hoping to make enough money for Linda to have life-changing cosmetic surgery. Soon they find themselves catapulted into trouble that puts everyone in their orbit at risk.