Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Gestofit?
- 2 Uses Of Gestofit
- 3 How Does Gestofit Work?
- 4 How to Take Gestofit?
- 5 Common Dosage Of Gestofit
- 6 When to Avoid Gestofit & Precautions To Take?
- 7 Side Effects Of Gestofit
- 8 Effect on Organs?
- 9 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 10 Drug Interactions to be careful about?
- 11 Shows Effects/Results In
- 12 Storage Requirements for Gestofit
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Gestofit
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions
- 15 Is Gestofit addictive?
- 16 Can I have Gestofit with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Gestofit when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Gestofit when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Gestofit?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Gestofit?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Gestofit?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose Gestofit?
Gestofit Composition – Progesterone (Natural Micronized) (200mg)
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Capsule
Price – Rs 333.6
Quantity – 10 tablet in 1 strip
What Is Gestofit?
- Gestofit is a hormonal drug that contains progesterone as it’s active ingredient.
- Progesterone plays an important role in regulating menstrual cycle and maintaining pregnancy in women.
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Uses Of Gestofit
Gestofit is used for treating the following diseases-
- Hormone imbalance
- Female infertility
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Endometrial hyperplasia
How Does Gestofit Work?
Gestofit works by providing progesterone hormone in the female body which replaces the natural progesterone that is deficient in some women.
How to Take Gestofit?
- Gestofit comes in different formulations such as capsules, tablets, sustained release tablets and injections.
- Tablets and capsules are meant to be taken orally, with or without food, preferably at bedtime.
- Injections must be administered by a healthcare professional only.
Common Dosage Of Gestofit
- The dosage of Gestofit varies depending on several patient related factors and the type of formulation being used.
- Strictly follow the dose regimen prescribed by your doctor.
When to Avoid Gestofit & Precautions To Take?
Gestofit is contraindicated in the following conditions-
- thrombophlebitis, thrombotic or thromboembolic disorders, cerebral apoplexy or patients with a past history of these conditions
- markedly impaired liver function
- undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- undiagnosed urinary tract bleeding
- undiagnosed breast pathology
- missed abortion
- known or suspected pregnancy
- severe uncontrolled high blood pressure
- known or suspected breast cancer
- Known hypersensitivity to the ingredients in Gestofit
Caution should be used in the following conditions –
- Diabetic patients – A decrease in glucose tolerance has been observed in some patients on progestogen therapy.
- Patients known to be suffering or having a history of mental depression.
Side Effects Of Gestofit
Common side effects of Gestofit include-
- Back pain
- Decrease in libido
- Weight gain
- Hot flushes
- Hair loss
- High blood pressure
Effect on Organs?
- Gestofit may impair hepatic function.
- Gestofit may cause symptoms of menopause in women like hot flushes, hair loss, joint pain etc.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, fever etc. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Gestofit interacts with the following drugs-
- Acitretin (retinoids used for psoriasis)
- Amprenavir (used in HIV infections)
- Bexarotene (anti-cancer medicine)
- Boceprevir (used to treat hepatitis)
- Bosentan (used to treat pulmonary artery hypertension)
- Bridion (used for anesthesia)
- Etretinate (used for psoriasis)
- Fosamprenavir (used in HIV infections)
- Isotretinoin (used to treat acne)
- Mycophenolic acid (immune suppressing drug)
- Valproic acid
Shows Effects/Results In
- The time for onset of action and duration of effect of Gestofit has not been established clinically.
Storage Requirements for Gestofit
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Gestofit
- Gestofit works best if taken at bedtime with sufficient quantity of water.
- It is advised to regularly examine the patient’s breasts for the presence of lumps while using Gestofit.
- Gestofit should always be taken at the same time of the day during the entire period.
- Do not smoke while taking Gestofit.
- Always use condoms during intercourse while you are on Meprate therapy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gestofit addictive?
Can I have Gestofit with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Gestofit when pregnant?
- Gestofit is unsafe and thus it is not recommended for use during pregnancy.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Avoid becoming pregnant while being treated with Meprate.
Can I have Gestofit when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child and use the medicine as advised.
- Detectable amounts of drug is known to pass in the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Gestofit?
What happens if I overdose on Gestofit?
Seek immediate medical attention upon overdosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Gestofit?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose Gestofit?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose