Ghee is a superfood, which your mother or grandmother advice you to include in your diet during pregnancy. In Ayurveda, ghee is popularly known for providing internal lubrication and softness. It is a great source of fat. It is believed that Ghee helps in vaginal delivery, though there is no scientific study to prove the same. Here we have covered everything that you need to know about eating ghee during pregnancy.
Is Eating Ghee During Pregnancy Safe?
Ghee is a rich source of fats and we all know that fats are an integral part of a balanced diet. It can be included in the diet of a pregnant woman. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor before including ghee in your diet.
Also Read - Garlic during Pregnancy
Benefits of Ghee During Pregnancy
Homemade ghee is a better and healthier option as compared to clarified butter. It is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, Omega 9 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. Ghee has many health benefits but some of the benefits of ghee during pregnancy are:
- Helps relieve constipation in pregnancy
- Helps baby’s brain to develop
- Helps in easing labour
- Helps improve digestion
- Helps in nourishing the baby
Ways to Use Ghee during Pregnancy
These are the following ways in which you can get the benefits of Ghee:
- Replace it for butter for spreading on baked goods
- Toss steamed vegetables with ghee and sea salt
- Use it in any recipe that calls for cooking oil
- For baking purposes, use it in place of coconut oil or palm oil
- You can melt ghee and then drizzle it on olive oil before roasting vegetables
Ghee is abundant in vitamin A, E, and antioxidants. Adding ghee to your meals can help overcome nutritional deficiencies. Many doctors recommend using ghee to the daily diet of women, especially those who are pregnant.