Table of Contents
- What is Glibenclamide?
- Uses of Glibenclamide
- How Does Glibenclamide Work?
- How to Take Glibenclamide?
- Glibenclamide Price In India
- Common Dosage for Glibenclamide
- Precautions – When to Avoid Glibenclamide?
- Side-Effects of Glibenclamide
- Allergic Reactions Reported
- Effects of Glibenclamide on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Glibenclamide
- Storage Requirements about Glibenclamide
- Pro Tips When Taking Glibenclamide
- FAQs – Things to Know About Glibenclamide
- Is Glibenclamide addictive?
- Can I have Glibenclamide with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Glibenclamide when pregnant?
- Can I have Glibenclamide when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Glibenclamide?
- What happens if I overdose on Glibenclamide?
- What happens if I eat expired Glibenclamide?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Glibenclamide?
- When was Glibenclamide made?
What is Glibenclamide?
Glibenclamide is also known as Glyburide which is sold under trade names like Benimet, Gluconorm, etc. It is an antidiabetic drug that belongs to a class of Sulfonylureas.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds Offers Today | Pharmeasy Discount Coupon
Uses of Glibenclamide
- Glibenclamide is used to treat type 2 diabetes.
- It also helps to treat kidney and nerve problems.
- Glibenclamide is also used in the treatment of blindness, loss of limbs and sexual function problems.
How Does Glibenclamide Work?
Glibenclamide increases the production of Glibenclamide in the pancreas. It is a hormone which would reduce and control the amount of glucose in the blood.
How to Take Glibenclamide?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break the extended-release capsule.
- Take Glibenclamide with a full glass of water.
- Take it with or after breakfast.
Glibenclamide Price In India
|Per Kilogram||Rs 10|
Also Read: Envas Price | Etophylline Price | Formet Price
Common Dosage for Glibenclamide
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For type 2 diabetes, the initial is from 2.5 mg which can be extended to up to 20 mg which can be taken in a single or divided doses per day.
Also Read: Fruselac Dosage | Gabaneuron Dosage | Ganaton Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Glibenclamide?
While taking Glibenclamide you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Glibenclamide along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking this drug.
Side-Effects of Glibenclamide
Some common side effects of Glibenclamide are:
- Troubled concentration
- Rapid breathing
- Fast heartbeat
Allergic Reactions Reported
No allergic reactions have been reported with Glibenclamide.
Effects of Glibenclamide on Organs
High dosage of Glibenclamide may damage the kidney and nerve which can lead to amputations.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction varies according to how the drug works. Gymnema, Gatifloxacin, Epinephrin can cause harmful effects while interacting with Glibenclamide. It is always better to consult your doctor before taking any medications while you are taking Glibenclamide.
Effects/Results after Consuming Glibenclamide
Rapid Glibenclamide will show its effect within 20 minutes and will last up to 6 hours. The regular one will show its effect within 30 minutes and extend up to 4 hours.
Storage Requirements about Glibenclamide
Once opened, Glibenclamide can be stored at room temperature away from direct light. There is no need to store it in a refrigerator.
Pro Tips When Taking Glibenclamide
- Avoid alcohol while taking Glibenclamide.
- Consult your doctor if you have any medical history of kidney diseases.
- Eat a healthy diet comprising of eggs, fish and whole grains while taking Glibenclamide.
FAQs – Things to Know About Glibenclamide
Is Glibenclamide addictive?
No, Glibenclamide is not addictive.
Can I have Glibenclamide with alcohol?
No. Having Glibenclamide with alcohol will lower the blood sugar level.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Sugar sweetened beverages, Honey, Flavoured coffee drinks, Dried fruits, etc.
Can I have Glibenclamide when pregnant?
No, Glibenclamide is not recommended during pregnancy. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Glibenclamide when feeding a baby?
Taking Glibenclamide while breastfeeding can increase obesity in infants.
Can I drive after taking Glibenclamide?
You should check your blood glucose level before driving. It shouldn’t be above 5mmol/l.
What happens if I overdose on Glibenclamide?
It would cause hyperglycaemia because of much glucose absorption and that may lead to death.
What happens if I eat expired Glibenclamide?
It will not be effective to regulate[KG1] the blood sugar level which can be a life threatening situation.
What happens if I miss a dose of Glibenclamide?
If you miss a dose of Glibenclamide take it as soon as you remember it within 12 hours. If you don’t, just go back to your regular dosage.
When was Glibenclamide made?
Glibenclamide was made in the year 1966.