Skip to Content
Goutnil Composition – Colchicine (0.5mg)
Manufactured By – Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 32.7
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Goutnil?
- Goutnil is an anti-Gout medication containing ‘Colchicine’ as its active ingredient
- Goutnil is neither analgesic nor anti-inflammatory, but it specifically suppresses gouty inflammation. It is not a pain relieving medicine thus should not be used to relieve other causes of pain
- Because of higher toxicity, Goutnil is used only when NSAIDs are ineffective or cannot be used
Manufactured By – Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Buy & Get 20% Off at Myra Medicines | 1mg | Practo
Uses of Goutnil
It is prescribed for:
- Acute gout
- Familial Mediterranean fever
How does Goutnil work?
- Gout forms as a result of excessive uric acid in the blood which results in formation of hard uric acid crystals in joints
- Goutnil works by decreasing swelling and lessening the build up of uric acid crystals that cause pain in the affected joints
Goutnil Price in India
|Goutnil 0.5 mg Tablet – 10 Tablets||Rs 32|
How to take Goutnil?
- Goutnil is administered orally in the form of capsules
- It can be taken with or without meals but at a fixed time daily
Common Dosage of Goutnil
- Goutnil works best when administered at first sign of Gout attack
- The initial recommended dose is 1.2mg at first sign of attack followed by 0.6mg an hour later
- The maximum recommended dose is 1.8mg taken over 1 hour period
- For patients with familial Mediterranean fever, the dose is 1.2-2.4mg daily either as a single dose or in two divided doses
- Administering more than the recommended dose may increase the risk of adverse effects without increasing the effectiveness of drug
When to avoid Goutnil?
- Avoid Goutnil if you are allergic to it or to any other ingredient present in it
- Goutnil is contraindicated in patients having kidney or liver disease
- Goutnil is not recommended in patients receiving medicines like ritonavir, clarithromycin, ketoconazole
- Goutnil affects sperm production in males thus it may affect the ability of male to father a child
Drug interactions to be careful about
Following drugs need to be avoided while taking Goutnil:
- Azole antifungal agents
Precautions when taking Goutnil
- Chronic therapy with Goutnil is not recommended because it causes aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, myopathy and loss of hair
- Be cautious while receiving this drug as it may cause bone marrow suppression and cardiac dysfunction
- Goutnil may cause neuromuscular toxicity and rhabdomyolysis especially in kidney disease and elderly patients
- It may cause an imbalance in electrolytes, hence regular monitoring is required
Side Effects of Goutnil
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Abdominal cramps
- Muscle weakness
- Skin rash
- Fever with chills
- Numbness of the hands
- Hair loss
- Decreased appetite
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Symptoms of allergic reactions:
- Hives, rash
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling on face, throat or hands
Effect of Goutnil on organs
- Bone marrow disorders- Bone marrow depression
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach discomfort
- Haematological reactions- Decreased white blood cells
- Other reactions- Rash, fever, sore throat and unusual bleeding or bruising
Shows effects / Results In
- Goutnil relieves the symptoms of gout by blocking the inflammatory response of urate crystals in synovial fluid mediated by neutrophils
- The effects of the medicine can be observed within 18-24 hours after its administration
- Keep it in an air-tight container
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture
- Keep it out of reach of children
- There have been no reports of tolerance, dependence or abuse associated with Goutnil
- Do not take Goutnil with grapefruit or grapefruit products
- Treatment with Goutnil should be initiated at a low dose with a gradual rise in dose as this medicine is associated with neuromuscular toxicity especially in elderely and patients with kidney disease
Is Goutnil addictive?
Can I have Goutnil with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unkown. Consult with your doctor.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Avoid grapefruit juice.
Can I have Goutnil when pregnant?
No as studies of pregnant women administering goutnil have shown adverse effects on foetus.
Can I have Goutnil when feeding a baby?
the medicine passes into breast milk thus it should only be used when necessary.
Can I drive after taking Goutnil?
What happens if I overdose on Goutnil?
Overdose of Goutnil is life threatening and may lead to kidney damage, CNS depression, intestinal bleeding, muscular paralysis and respiratory failure.
What happens if I eat expired Goutnil?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safer side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Goutnil?
If you miss a dose of Goutnil, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.