Table of Contents
- What is Grilinctus Syrup?
- Uses of Grilinctus Syrup
- How does Grilinctus Syrup work?
- How to take Grilinctus Syrup?
- Common Dosage for Grilinctus Syrup
- When to Avoid Grilinctus Syrup?
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Grilinctus Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Grilinctus Syrup
What is Grilinctus Syrup?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of allergic symptoms like common cold, dry cough, rhinitis and nasal congestion. Hypotension and loss of appetite are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of pregnancy and liver or kidney diseases.
- Grilinctus Syrup Composition: Chlorpheniramine 2.5mg/ml + Dextromethorphan 5mg/ml + Guaifenesin 50mg/5ml + Ammonium Chloride: 60mg/ml
- Manufactured By: Franco Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
- Form: Syrup.
- Price: Rs 95.21 for 100ml bottle.
- Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
- Type of Drug: Antiallergic + Antitussive
Also read in Hindi: Grilinctus Syrup
Uses of Grilinctus Syrup
Grilinctus Syrup serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of the following conditions:
- Allergy: Used for symptomatic relief of allergy
- Rhinitis: Used in cases of allergic Rhinitis (Hay fever)
- Emergency: Used as an adjunct in the emergency treatment of Anaphylactic Shock and severe angioedema
- Insect Sting: Used in cases of Insect Stings
- Pruritis: Used in cases of Pruritis of allergic origin
- Others: Used to treat Dry cough, Bronchitis, Common cold, and Nasal Congestion
How does Grilinctus Syrup work?
- Grilinctus has four active ingredients namely Chlorpheniramine, Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin, and Ammonium Chloride each having its own function
- Guaifenesin and Ammonium chloride act as expectorants which are used to increase bronchial secretions (sputum) or reduce the viscosity of sputum and eventually aiding its removal through coughing.
- Chlorpheniramine is an anti-allergic/antihistaminic and acts by blocking histamines (chemical messenger) and their actions which are responsible for allergic reactions.
- Chlorpheniramine relieves allergic symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, and watery eyes.
- Dextromethorphan acts as a cough suppressant/anti-tussive, acting on the CNS (Central Nervous System) and eventually reducing the activity of the cough center in the brain
How to take Grilinctus Syrup?
- Grilinctus is usually available in Syrup form.
- Grilinctus Syrup can be taken with or without water as advised by the physician at a fixed time.
- Shake the bottle well before consuming the drug and always use a measuring cup to consume advised dose.
- Grilinctus Syrup should be accompanied by plenty of fluids to aid mucus removal.
- Complete dose/therapy as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage for Grilinctus Syrup
- Grilinctus Syrup dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose 5-10ml of Syrup daily in 2-3 divided doses, unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Consult a paediatrician before administering to children below 2 years of age
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Pack insert should be read thoroughly if using Grilinctus Syrup as an Over the counter drug.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Grilinctus Syrup?
An overdose of Grilinctus Syrup can cause adverse effects so, the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Grilinctus Syrup overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Grilinctus Syrup?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Grilinctus Syrup?
Expired dose of Grilinctus Syrup is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Grilinctus Syrup and till when does the effect of Grilinctus Syrup stays?
- Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered within the first 2-3 days of therapy.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
When to Avoid Grilinctus Syrup?
Do not Consume Grilinctus Syrup if:
- Breathing difficulty: In cases of a known history of breathing problems.
- Liver or Kidney disease: In cases of a known history of kidney/hepatic dysfunction or any severe active liver disease.
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to any of its constituents
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy.
- Concomitant medication: In cases of patients on concomitant use of monoamine oxidase inhibitor
Precautions While Taking Grilinctus Syrup
- Liver problems: The drug should be administered in patients with renal or liver disease with caution
- Pregnancy: Grilinctus Syrup should be used with caution in a patient with Pregnancy.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Grilinctus Syrup
- The doctor should always be informed about any allergic history to any of its components.
- Always inform the doctor about any concomitant medication you are taking at the present time.
Side-Effects of Grilinctus Syrup
The side effects associated with Grilinctus Syrup are:
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Rash (less common)
- Sleepiness (common)
- Hypotension (less common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Grilinctus Syrup?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Grilinctus Syrup on organs?
Grilinctus Syrup is to be used with caution under expert’s supervision in patients with liver or kidney diseases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Grilinctus Syrup. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Grilinctus Syrup. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Grilinctus Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Grilinctus Syrup
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician at of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
3. Effects of Grilinctus Syrup on Lab Tests
Grilinctus Syrup does not affect any laboratory test as such.
4. Grilinctus Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Grilinctus Syrup with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Grilinctus Syrup can increase the risk of side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, etc.
Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Grilinctus Syrup when pregnant?
No, as adverse effects on foetus have been reported. Therefore, the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving.
Q. Can I have Grilinctus Syrup when feeding a baby?
Yes, it is safe to consume Grilinctus Syrup for lactating mothers. The doctor should still be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Grilinctus Syrup?
It may cause dizziness or drowsiness in some cases. And in such cases, one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Grilinctus Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
|Grilinctus Syrup Variants||Grilinctus Syrup Composition||Grilinctus Syrup Price|
|Grilinctus Paediatric Syrup 60ml||Paracetamol, Chlorpheniramine ma, eate and Phenylephrine hydrochloride||Rs. 50.86 for 1 pack|
|Grilinctus-BM Syrup 100ml||Terbutaline Sulphate and Bromhexine Hydrochloride||Rs. 80.05 for 1 pack|
|Grilinctus L Syrup 100ml||Levochloperastine Fendizoate||Rs. 97.7 for 1 pack|
Substitutes of Grilinctus Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Grilinctus Syrup:
- Gold Cough 100 ml syrup:
- Manufactured by – Shatayushi healthcare.
- Price – Rs. 44.25
- Airlintus 100ml syrup:
- Manufactured by – Alred Healthcare.
- Price – Rs. 79.92
- Brutus 100ml syrup:
- Manufactured by – MDC Pharmaceuticals.
- Price – Rs. 46.5
- CRF- D 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Athens Labs Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 85
Storage requirements for Grilinctus Syrup
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at cool and dry place.
- Do not freeze the medication.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Grilinctus Syrup
Q. What is Grilinctus Syrup?
Ans. Grilinctus Syrup is a fixed-dose combination drug which contains Chlorpheniramine and Dextromethorphan as its main active ingredient.
Chlorpheniramine is anti-allergic in nature whereas, Dextromethorphan is an antitussive (cough suppressant) drug. Grilinctus syrup is used to treat infectious and allergic symptoms and conditions like Common cold and cough etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Grilinctus Syrup to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered within first 2-3 days of therapy.
Q. Should Grilinctus Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Grilinctus Syrup can be taken empty stomach but to prevent any potential stomach upset and to have better absorption, it should be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Grilinctus Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Grilinctus Syrup may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Grilinctus Syrup doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Grilinctus Syrup should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Grilinctus Syrup.
Q. Does Grilinctus Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Grilinctus Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Grilinctus Syrup is safe to be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Grilinctus Syrup?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Grilinctus Syrup.
Q. Is Grilinctus Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
You can buy Grilinctus Syrup using latest Coupons & Offers from below stores:
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.