What is Griseofulvin?
Griseofulvin is an antifungal medication which is used to treat a variety of fungal infections usually when other antifungal medications are not working.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Online | 1Mg Online
Uses of Griseofulvin
- Fungal infection of hairs
- Fungal infections of nails
- Fungal infections of skin
Also read about other medicine Uses: Enoxaparin Uses
How Does Griseofulvin Work?
Griseofulvin acts by stopping the multiplication and growth of fungus. This results in halting the progression of fungal infections.
How to Take Griseofulvin?
Griseofulvin tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. If you are prescribed with syrup form them measure the quantity prescribed with measuring cup and drink it. Always shake the bottle before use. You must always consume Griseofulvin on full stomach.
Griseofulvin Price In India
|250 mg Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 16.21|
Also Read: Aminophylline Price | Doxorubicin Price
Common Dosage for Griseofulvin?
Griseofulvin is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Griseofulvin?
Avoid Griseofulvin if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have a genetic blood disease porphyria
- You have liver problems
- You are suffering from lupus
Side-Effects of Griseofulvin
- Pain in stomach
- Trouble sleeping
- Appetite loss
Also Read: Ethambutol Side Effect | Famotidine Side Effect | Filgrastim Side Effect
Effects of Griseofulvin on Organs?
Long-term use of Griseofulvin is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Griseofulvin are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Birth control medications
- Magnesium salicylate
Effects/Results After Consuming Griseofulvin
The effect of Griseofulvin can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your symptoms of infection will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Griseofulvin
Is Griseofulvin addictive?
Griseofulvin is generally not addictive in nature
Can I have Griseofulvin with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Griseofulvin. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with this medication causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Griseofulvin when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Griseofulvin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Griseofulvin when feeding a baby?
Griseofulvin is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Griseofulvin?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Griseofulvin. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive
What happens if I overdose on Griseofulvin?
Overdose of Griseofulvin will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Griseofulvin?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Griseofulvin, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Griseofulvin?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Griseofulvin at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the cap tightly after use of suspension form of this drug
- Keep Griseofulvin away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Griseofulvin
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Griseofulvin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Complete the full course of this medication even if your symptoms disappear because the fungal infection, if not fully treated, may come back.
- You must consume Griseofulvin with fatty food or milk for better absorption and to prevent stomach upset.
- Your doctor must know about your full medical history before prescribing Griseofulvin to you.