Table of Contents
- What is Haematinga?
- Uses of Haematinga
- How does Haematinga work?
- How to Take Haematinga?
- Common Dosage for Haematinga
- When to Avoid Haematinga?
- Side-effects of Haematinga?
- Effects on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage of Haematinga
- Pro Tips When Taking Haematinga
- Frequently asked questions
- Is Haematinga Addictive?
- Can I have Haematinga with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Haematinga when Pregnant?
- Can I have Haematinga when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Haematinga?
- What happens if I overdose on Haematinga?
- What happens if I eat expired Haematinga?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Haematinga?
What is Haematinga?
Haematinga is an oral supplement available in capsule form used predominantly for the treatment of iron deficiency anemia and deficiency of vitamin B12.
Each Haematinga capsule contains:
- Ferrous Fumarate- 200mg
- Cyanocobalamine (Vitamin B12)-15mcg
- Folic acid- 1.5mg
Get Discount Upto 30%: Pharmeasy Promo Code | Myra Medicines Promo Code
Uses of Haematinga
Haematinga capsule is used in the prevention and treatment of:
- Iron deficiency anemia due to inadequate intake of iron or excessive blood loss.
- Megaloblastic anemia due to deficiency of Vitamin B12 and folic acid
- Anemia during pregnancy and lactation
- General weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Haematinga may also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Read About: Cystelia Uses | Ginette Uses
How does Haematinga work?
- Haematinga provides elemental iron which restores iron deficiency quickly thus leading to faster replenishment of tissue iron stores and correction of anemia.
- Haematinga also contains folic acid and Vitamin B12 as its active ingredients which are the most important factors in maturation and production of red blood cells.
How to Take Haematinga?
Haematinga capsules should preferably be taken after food or as advised but it is always advisable to take it at a fixed time.
Also Read: Bactifix Price | Domzar Composition | Feripro Composition
Common Dosage for Haematinga
- The most recommended dose in adults is one to two capsules following a meal. In children, dosage should be administered as advised by the pediatrician.
- Patients with liver and kidney disease must consult with their physician before using Haematinga capsules.
Know About: Bravia Dosage | Carpela 21s Dosage | Hb-Rich Dosage
When to Avoid Haematinga?
Haematinga should not be used in:
- Allergy to any of its components
- Patients with liver disease
- Patients with moderate to severe renal dysfunction
- Avoid in patients with repeated blood transfusions
- Patients with active peptic ulcer disease
Side-effects of Haematinga?
- Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Dark colored stool
- GI discomfort
- Itchy rashes on the skin
Know About: Ferrochelate Side Effects
Effects on organs?
Should be administered with caution in the patient suffering from liver and kidney disease.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include :
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
It may interact with the following drugs and products:
Shows Effects / Results In
You should start to feel recovered within the first few weeks of treatment with Haematinga.
Storage of Haematinga
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Haematinga
Haematinga is contraindicated in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (hemoglobin in the urine).
Frequently asked questions
Is Haematinga Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Haematinga with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when administering Haematinga capsule. It may increase the risk of side effects like excessive drowsiness and calmness in few patients.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Haematinga when Pregnant?
Haematinga capsule can be administered in pregnant patients as it has shown no adverse effect on fetus.
Can I have Haematinga when feeding a baby?
It is safe to use Haematinga in cases of breastfeeding mothers.
Can I drive after taking Haematinga?
Few patients experience side effects like drowsiness, headache, and dizziness when on Haematinga. In such patients, it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Haematinga?
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects.
- If anyone is suspected of an overdosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Haematinga?
Taking a single dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
What happens if I miss a dose of Haematinga?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.