Walnuts are a good source of some important nutrients that are required during pregnancy. If taken after consultation and with regulated quantities, walnuts can be extremely beneficial for an expectant mother. Here is how!
- Walnuts are an amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats. These are really beneficial for during pregnancy and even for the baby. These important molecules are found in other foods as well such as fish. But the problem is that fish is not recommended during pregnancy in a high quantity
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts are said to support your baby’s brain development
- The monounsaturated fats present in walnuts are known to lower bad cholesterol level and prevent the risk of heart diseases
- Walnuts are an excellent source of proteins which is essential during pregnancy. One ounce (about 28 grams) of walnuts can supply upto 4 grams of proteins. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the expectant mother requires 75-100 grams of proteins per day
- Walnuts contain healthy vitamin B-Complex groups like folates, riboflavin, and thiamin. These are necessary for a pregnant woman and the fetus. They help to prevent pregnancy-related anemia and also help the body to develop genetic material during pregnancy
Consult a doctor and check for any allergies such as tree nut allergy before consuming walnuts. But other than that, walnuts can be a perfect power food for you during pregnancy. Not only will it be healthy for the mother, but it can also ensure a better health for the baby.