Table of Contents
- What is Hifen?
- Uses of Hifen
- How does Hifen work?
- Hifen Price in India
- How to Take Hifen?
- Common Dosage for Hifen
- When to Avoid Hifen?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Precautions when taking Hifen
- Side-effects of Hifen
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- What Are The Effects of Hifen on Organs?
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage Requirements for Hifen
- Pro Tips When Taking Hifen
Hifen Composition – Terbinafine 250 MG
Manufactured By – Lyka Hetero
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 7.9
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Hifen?
- Hifen belongs to “cephalosporin” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections
- Hifen is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc
Manufactured By – Hetero Drugs Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Hifenac-P Tablet||Aceclofenac (100mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (325mg)|
|Hifenac-D Tablet||Aceclofenac (100mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (325mg) + Serratiopeptidase (15mg)|
|Hifenac-MR Tablet||Aceclofenac (100mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (325mg) + Chlorzoxazone (500mg)|
|Hifenac SR 200 mg||Aceclofenac (200mg)|
|Hifen 200 mg Tablet DT||Cefixime (200mg)|
|Hifen Plus 200 mg/200 mg Tablet||Cefixime (200mg) + Ofloxacin (200mg)|
|Hifenac Spas Tablet||Drotaverine (80mg) + Aceclofenac (100mg)|
|Hifen CV 200 Tablet||Cefixime (200mg) + Clavulanic Acid (125mg)|
|Hifenac TH 8mg Tablet||Aceclofenac (100mg) + Thiocolchicoside (8mg)|
|Hifen 50 mg Dry Syrup||Cefixime (50mg)|
Buy & Get 20% Off using Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Uses of Hifen
Hifen is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils etc
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
Hifen may be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
How does Hifen work?
- Hifen belongs to cephalosporins group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability)
- Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall which is important for the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane thus killing the bacteria and checking its growth
Hifen Price in India
|Hifen 400 mg Tablet – Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 158|
|Hifen DT 200 mg Tablet – Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 95|
How to Take Hifen?
- Hifen tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go
- They can be taken with or without food
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time
- Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor
- When on Hifen therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course or skipping the doses as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use
Common Dosage for Hifen
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- Hifen is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient. The standard adult dose of Hifen is 400 mg daily which can be prescribed as 200mg tablet twice daily
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Hifen may need to be reduced
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication
When to Avoid Hifen?
Hifen should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Hifen
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to cephalosporin family like cefaclor, cefepime, cefuroxime etc
- History of penicillin allergy
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients suffering from colitis
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use
- You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
- Some of the common drugs which interact with Hifen include:
- Warfarin and other anticoagulants
Precautions when taking Hifen
- Hifen is an antibacterial drug. It is not used for treating any viral or fungal diseases
- Caution is required in patients having kidney or liver problems
- This medicine increases the risk of intestinal
Side-effects of Hifen
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Severe stomach pain
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Watery and severe diarrhea
- Signs of kidney disease (decreased urinary output)
- Yellowing of eyes/skin
- Dark coloured urine
- Altered blood cell count
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Hifen is used to treat bacterial infections but an allergic reaction to Hifen might occur. Possible allergic reactions reported include: itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
What Are The Effects of Hifen on Organs?
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Hifen should be administered with caution.
Shows Effects / Results In
- The time taken for Hifen to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use
- Some patients might show decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed
Storage Requirements for Hifen
Protect from humidity, light, and temperatures above 40C.
Pro Tips When Taking Hifen
- For assessing sugar in urine using Benedict’s solution or Fehling’s solution may show a false-positive reaction in patients on Hifen. It is recommended that some other glucose tests based on other methods be used in such patients
- Similarly, a false-positive direct Coombs test has been reported in patients administering Hifen therefore, it should be recognized that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug
Is Hifen Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Hifen with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with Hifen is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Hifen When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- The medicine should only be administered if absolutely necessary after medical advice as there are no adequate long term well controlled studies in pregnant women
Can I have Hifen when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child
- Hifen has not been studied for use during lactation
- Treatment should only be given after consulting your doctor
Can I drive after taking Hifen?
- Hifen Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive
- Few patients might experience dizziness, in such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery
What happens if I overdose on Hifen?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects
- In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately
What happens if I eat expired Hifen?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Hifen to produce an adverse event
- However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Hifen?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose