Table of Contents
- 1 What is Whey Protein?
- 2 Health Benefits of Whey Protein
- 3 1. Promotes Muscle Growth
- 4 2. Lowers Down The Blood Pressure
- 5 3. Can Help Treat Diabetes
- 6 4. Provides And Retains Energy Throughout The Day
- 7 5. Increases The Anti-Oxidant Levels In Body
- 8 6. Can Help Reduce Weight
- 9 Uses of Whey Protein
- 10 1. Anti-inflammatory
- 11 2. Metabolism Booster
- 12 3. Appetite Suppressor
- 13 4. Stress Reliever
- 14 How To Use Whey Protein?
- 15 Whey Protein Dosage
- 16 Side Effects of Whey Protein
- 17 Precautions and Warnings of Whey Protein
- 18 Important Questions Asked About Whey Protein
- 19 1. What is Whey Protein made of?
- 20 2. What are Whey Protein’s storage requirements?
- 21 3. How long do I need to use Whey Protein till I see improvement in my condition?
- 22 4. How many times a day do I need to use Whey Protein?
- 23 5. Does Whey Protein have any effect on breast feeding?
- 24 6. Is Whey Protein safe for kids?
- 25 7. Does it have any effect on pregnancy?
- 26 8. Does Whey Protein contain sugar?
- 27 9. What are the benefits of Whey Protein?
- 28 10. Do you drink Whey Protein before or after a workout?
- 29 11. How long does it take to see noticeable results from whey protein?
- 30 12. How many scoops of Whey Protein a day is safe?
- 31 13. How much Whey protein should I take for best results?
- 32 14. Do you have to drink whey protein immediately after a workout?
- 33 15. Should I drink protein shakes on rest days?
- 34 16. Does whey protein make you tired?
- 35 17. How can I use whey protein powder? Can I drink whey protein at night?
- 36 18. Can I take whey protein on an empty stomach?
- 37 19. Is whey protein better with milk or water?
- 38 20. What are the side effects of whey protein?
- 39 21. Does Whey protein increase weight?
- 40 Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Whey Protein
- 41 Research on Whey Protein
What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is one of the two types of proteins present in milk, other being casein. The production process by which cow’s milk is converted to cheese and yogurt leaves whey protein as a byproduct. Once considered a waste, today whey protein is one of the most widely used nutrition supplements. Mostly sold in powdered form whey protein is usually consumed mixed with water or milk. Found in the liquid part of the milk, Whey was earlier discarded by cheese makers. But now it is recognized worldwide as a protein supplement. It is usually separated from milk during the process of making cheese. Whey contains an incredible amount of all the 9 essential amino acids that help increase the amount of proteins in the human body. While these amino acids help in further building the body mass and strengthening the muscles, whey contains many more nutrients that can have great effects on the immunity as well.
Learn about the benefits of whey protein and why it is so popular.
Health Benefits of Whey Protein
High on nutritional value, Whey Proteins offer numerous health benefits like:
1. Promotes Muscle Growth
A source of high protein, Whey Protein offers the essential nutrients and ample proteins that are required to build muscles. Consumption of 1 scoop or two of whey within one hour after working out aids in muscle recovery and growth.
2. Lowers Down The Blood Pressure
Low on cholesterol levels, the consumption of Whey Protein ensures that your blood sugar levels are always in a healthy state. The presence of proteins also helps limit the amount of sugar that enters the blood.
3. Can Help Treat Diabetes
A great way to regulate your blood sugar levels, Whey Proteins ensure that your heart is always healthy. This, in turn, keeps the sugar intake under check that can help with the treatment of Diabetes.
4. Provides And Retains Energy Throughout The Day
Consumption of Whey Protein in recommended quantities every day has been known to provide enough energy that lasts for a whole day. Moreover, whey protein also helps in retaining the energy levels.
5. Increases The Anti-Oxidant Levels In Body
A good source of cysteine, Whey Protein helps boost the body’s level of antioxidants. This, in turn, helps in reducing oxidative stress and keeps the body healthy.
6. Can Help Reduce Weight
Consuming Whey Protein not just helps build muscles, but it also helps in reducing body weight. Excess intake of Whey Protein can help suppress appetite, boost the metabolism by helping burn more calories and maintaining muscle mass.
Read here to know how much whey protein you need to take
Uses of Whey Protein
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, Whey Protein is also used as:
Effective in reducing the levels of C-reactive protein (a key indicator of inflammation) in the body, Whey Protein act as a great anti-inflammatory agent.
2. Metabolism Booster
Whey Protein helps burn calories and limits their intake thus giving a boost to the metabolic activities and maintaining its proper functioning.
3. Appetite Suppressor
Low on calorie count, a timely consumption of Whey Protein ensures that the body gets a minimum number of calories. This helps to achieve a feeling of satiation thus suppressing hunger.
4. Stress Reliever
Rich in essential amino acids like Tryptophan, Whey Proteins help you feel relaxed and calm. This can further help reduce stress levels in the body making it healthy and free from various ailments.
How To Use Whey Protein?
Whey Protein can be taken with milk or water.
How To Use Whey Protein to Gain Weight?
People looking to gain weight or muscle mass should take whey protein with milk. Milk is rich in calories. If you’re not worried about your calorie intake, then milk is the ‘whey’ to go (pun intended!). You can simply stir the powder in a glass of milk and make whey protein shake.
How To Drink Whey Protein To Cut Fat?
People looking to cut fat and gain lean muscle can consume whey protein with water. It is best for post workout recovery. Check out how to cut fat and lose weight with whey protein.
1. Can Whey Protein be consumed before or after meals?
Whey Protein should be consumed before meals.
2. Can Whey Protein be taken on an empty stomach?
Yes, Whey Protein is mostly consumed on an empty stomach.
3. Can Whey Protein be consumed with water?
Yes, Whey Protein can be consumed with milk or water.
Also Read: Side Effects of Whey Protein
Whey Protein Dosage
You can consume up to 2 – 3 spoons of Whey Protein in a day. The best time to take whey protein is immediately after workout.
Ideally, a dosage of 25-30 grams of Whey Protein is recommended to be consumed along with milk or water. This dosage can be followed either 1 – 2 hours before the workout or immediately post workout.
Know more about when to take whey protein
Side Effects of Whey Protein
While Whey Protein is mostly safe for consumption by everyone, one should be careful not to overdose on the quantity recommended. This may lead to Gastro-intestinal troubles, nausea or even headache. Even though these side effects have not been reported yet.
Harmful Interaction of Whey Protein
Whey Protein can interact with antibiotics and Levodopa, a drug used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
Check Out: Best Whey Protein Powder For Weight Loss
Precautions and Warnings of Whey Protein
1. Can Whey Protein be consumed before driving?
Yes, Whey Protein can be consumed before driving.
2. Can Whey Protein be consumed with alcohol?
No, one should not consume any kind of medication or supplement along with alcohol.
3. Is Whey Protein addictive?
No, Whey Protein is not addictive or habit forming.
4. Can Whey Protein make you drowsy?
No. Whey Protein if taken in excess can lead to tiredness but it won’t make you drowsy if taken in recommended quantities.
5. Can you overdose on Whey Protein?
No, overdosing on Whey Protein is not recommended. Always consult your nutritionist before increasing the intake of Whey Protein in your diet. Limit your intake to 2 -3 scoops of whey protein per day.
If you’re a beginner then you should probably check out our Beginners Guide to Whey Protein
Important Questions Asked About Whey Protein
1. What is Whey Protein made of?
Whey protein is made from Amino Acids, Protein, Carbs, Fats, Sugar, Soy and Cocoa along with other ingredients.
2. What are Whey Protein’s storage requirements?
Whey protein should be stored in a cool, dry, dark area away from moisture. Always keep the lid tightly closed.
3. How long do I need to use Whey Protein till I see improvement in my condition?
Whey protein can begin to show results within six weeks, if taken regularly. But this totally depends upon how well your body reacts to its consumption.
4. How many times a day do I need to use Whey Protein?
You can consume 25 – 30 g of Whey Protein in divided dosages twice a day.
5. Does Whey Protein have any effect on breast feeding?
No, Whey Protein does not have any side effect on breast feeding mothers. You should always consult your physician before consuming Whey Protein if you’re pregnant.
6. Is Whey Protein safe for kids?
Yes, Whey Protein is safe to be consumed by kids if taken in lower quantities.
7. Does it have any effect on pregnancy?
Whey Protein does not have any side effect on pregnant women. Instead, it acts as a complete high protein rich diet that can be healthy for the to-be mom and infant.
8. Does Whey Protein contain sugar?
Yes, Whey Protein contains sugar.
9. What are the benefits of Whey Protein?
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, Whey Protein is also used to reduce the LDL levels and enhance the body’s antioxidant defenses.
10. Do you drink Whey Protein before or after a workout?
Protein helps rebuild muscles post workout. To aid this process, many people drink Whey Protein after their workout. However, it is not a compulsion to drink whey protein before or after a workout.
11. How long does it take to see noticeable results from whey protein?
Results depend upon your body type and the kind of routine you follow. However, you should be able to see effective results within 6 weeks.
12. How many scoops of Whey Protein a day is safe?
Two scoops of Whey Protein a day is safe for consumption.
13. How much Whey protein should I take for best results?
Whey Protein should be taken in a dosage of 20-40 grams once in a day for best results.
14. Do you have to drink whey protein immediately after a workout?
There is absolutely no need to drink Whey Protein immediately after workout. However, you can drink it 30 minutes after workout.
15. Should I drink protein shakes on rest days?
Yes, you can drink protein shakes even on rest days as a healthy and filling snack.
16. Does whey protein make you tired?
No. Whey protein does not make you tired but fills you with instant energy.
17. How can I use whey protein powder? Can I drink whey protein at night?
To use whey protein powder, mix 2 scoops of whey protein into milk or water and drink. Yes, you can drink Whey Protein at night as it burns fat and reduces muscle loss.
18. Can I take whey protein on an empty stomach?
Yes. Whey Protein gives a healthy start to your day as it fills you up with energy.
19. Is whey protein better with milk or water?
Whey protein can be taken with milk for best results.
20. What are the side effects of whey protein?
Whey protein is considered beneficial and safe for human consumption. However, it’s over consumption can cause increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating and other stomach related issues.
21. Does Whey protein increase weight?
Whey protein helps in increasing weight if taken with milk post workout twice a day.
Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Whey Protein
The Best Whey Protein available in the market is Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder Vanilla (1.82 lb)
Best Price: Rs.1461.85
Research on Whey Protein
A study titled “Why whey? Camel whey protein as a new dietary approach to the management of free radicals and for the treatment of different health disorders” quoted in the journal of US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health states that camel whey protein is a reliable source of amino acids and naturally active proteins. It acts as a great nutrition supplement and has therapeutic effects in different pathological conditions.