What is Humalog?
Humalog is usually used along with a medium or long-acting insulin product or other oral diabetic drugs like sulfonylureas. Humalog insulin (U-100) is available as:
- 10ml vial
- 3ml prefilled pen
- 3ml cartridge
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Medicines
Uses of Humalog
Humalog is rapidly acting insulin used to lower blood glucose levels in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients. An active ingredient of Humalog is insulin Lispro which is a man-made insulin produced by recombinant DNA technology that provides artificial insulin to body cells
Also Read: Hydrocodone Uses
How does Humalog work?
- Humalog is a sterile solution of insulin Lispro. Each ml of Humalog contains 100 international units of insulin Lispro.
- Insulin glargine is rapidly acting insulin which functions similar to human insulin and decreases the blood glucose levels by stimulating glucose uptake by muscles and by inhibiting the production of glucose by the liver.
- By controlling the blood glucose levels, it decreases the incidence of kidney damage, heart problems, blindness, nerve problems etc.
How to Take Humalog?
- The dosage, duration, and form of treatment with Humalog are based on your age, the severity of the condition, physical health, and response to therapy.
- Do not inject Humalog if the solution has become discoloured or has clumps in the container. Discard the container in such cases.
- Before injecting, make sure the site is clean and dry by rubbing with alcohol. Never re-use/share the same syringe or needle again as it might increase the chances of transmitting serious infections like hepatitis, HIV.
- Inject Humalog either 15 minutes before a meal or immediately after a meal as it is a fast acting insulin and may lead to hypoglycaemia if a meal is skipped.
- Humalog insulin can be administered by three different methods:
- Subcutaneously – subcutaneous injection into the abdominal wall, thigh, upper arm, buttock. Never administer subcutaneous injection at the same site daily to reduce the risk of lipodystrophy (abnormal fat distribution).
- Insulin pump – administered by continuous subcutaneous infusion. Replace Humalog in the reservoir every week.
- Intravenous – Humalog can be administered IV under medical supervision with close monitoring of blood glucose and potassium levels.
- Non-pharmacologic therapy (dietary modification, weight control, and exercise) is equally essential to reduce blood glucose levels along with Humalog therapy.
Humalog Price In India
|25 Mix 100IU/3 ml Suspension for Injection||Rs 774.00|
|50 Mix 100IU/ 3 ml Suspension for Injection||Rs 774.00|
|100 Mix 100IU/ 3 ml Solution for Injection||Rs 617.00|
|200 Mix 100IU/3 ml Suspension for Injection||Rs 1408.00|
Common Dosage for Humalog?
- There is no fixed dose regimen of Humalog for the treatment of diabetes. Constant monitoring of blood glucose levels and dose variation accordingly is a must.
- To reduce the risk of side effects, your doctor may initially start from a low dose and gradually increase your dose based on your condition.
- Total daily insulin requirement is between 0.5 to 1 unit/kg/day.
- Measure the dose carefully as the smallest change in insulin dose may have a large effect on blood sugar levels.
- Dose adjustment of Humalog insulin is needed with a change in physical activity, time and amount of food intake, change in kidney and liver functions.
When to Avoid Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection)?
Humalog should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Do not use Humalog during hypoglycaemia episodes.
- Severe kidney or liver function disorders
Side-effects of Humalog?
In addition to its intended uses, Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Hypoglycaemia – most commonly observed if patients take this medicine before meals or when patients skip their meals. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) include:
- Impaired concentration
- Tachycardia (increased heartbeat)
Other less commonly observed side effects include:
- Pain at the injection site
- Pruritus (severe itching of the skin)
- Hyperglycaemia – thirst, increased urination, confusion, fruity breath odour, rapid breathing etc.
In addition, it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Krill-Oil Side Effect | Lantus Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Liver & Kidney – Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use Humalog with caution as it can cause severe hepatic and renal impairment.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Humalog have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
- Angioedema (painless swelling under the skin)
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Humalog. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drugs which interact with Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) are listed below:
- Oral contraceptives
- Oral anti-diabetic drugs
Using all these products along with Humalog can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Humalog is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In
Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) starts showing its effect immediately following its administration and reaches its peak in 1 hour and keeps working for 2-4 hours.
Is Humalog addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported. However, over-dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Humalog therapy as it may interfere with controlling blood glucose levels.
- It is best not to drink alcohol when on Humalog therapy. Consult your doctor for further recommendations.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid foods which have high glucose content and follow a strict diet to control blood glucose level along with Humalog therapy.
Can I have Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) when pregnant?
- It is recommended to maintain normal blood glucose levels during pregnancy as abnormal blood glucose levels are associated with higher incidence of congenital abnormalities.
- Humalog should only be used during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the risks involved.
Can I have Humalog when feeding a baby?
- Humalog is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus by decreasing blood sugar levels.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Humalog?
- Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection) intake doesn’t affect your ability to drive. However hypoglycaemia caused due to overdosage or skipping meals and hyperglycaemia due to improper dosage may cause drowsiness, fatigue, impaired concentration, sleepiness etc which may hinder with driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Humalog?
- Humalog should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency may cause serious Hypoglycaemia (symptoms of which have been mentioned above)
- If suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection)?
- A single dose of expired Humalog may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time and it may cause hyperglycaemia (increased blood glucose levels).
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection)?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose as it may lead to hyperglycaemia and poor glucose control.
Storage Requirements for Humalog
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Humalog (Insulin Lispro Injection)
Humalog should be administered along with non-pharmacologic therapy (proper dietary modification, weight control and exercise) to achieve the best results. In early type 2 diabetes, only non-pharmacologic therapy may well provide ideal results.