Table of Contents
- What is Humira?
- Uses of Humira
- How does Humira work?
- How to take Humira?
- Humira Price In India
- Common Dosage of Humira?
- When to avoid Humira?
- Precautions while taking Humira
- Side Effects of Humira (Adalimumab)
- Effects on organs?
- Storage Requirements of Humira (Adalimumab)
- Pro Tips when taking Humira
- Is Humira (Adalimumab) addictive?
- Can I have Humira with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Humira (Adalimumab) when pregnant?
- Can I have Humira while feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Humira?
- What happens if I overdose on Humira (Adalimumab)?
- What happens if I eat expired Humira?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Humira (Adalimumab)?
What is Humira?
Humira is a fully human monoclonal antibody directed against TNF-a used as a DMARD (Disease-Modifying Anti-rheumatic Drugs). Humira, with the generic name adalimumab, is a drug that is used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation in people with a number of autoimmune diseases.
Manufactured By – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Uses of Humira
Humira is used to treat:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- ankylosing spondylitis
- Crohn’s disease
- juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- plaque psoriasis
- psoriatic arthritis
Also Read: Lithium Uses | Losartan Uses
How does Humira work?
- Humira binds to TNF-a and blocks its inflammatory effect.
- This reduces pain and inflammation in patients with autoimmune diseases.
How to take Humira?
- Humira (Adalimumab) is injected into either the abdomen or the thighs, using a prefilled pen or syringe. The injection should not be given in skin that is bruised or tender, or where there are patches of psoriasis.
- If you are using it by yourself, follow the directions carefully.
- Use a needle and syringe only once and discard it properly.
Humira Price In India
|1*10 ml Injection||Rs 141.88|
Also Read: Klonopin Price
Common Dosage of Humira?
- 1 injection from Day 1: Every-other-week dosing with one 40-mg pen. This is in the case of active psoriatic arthritis.
- In the case of plaque psoriasis, the loading dose is 80 mg (divided into two 40 mg doses/pens). After a week maintenance dose is given which is again a 40 mg pen. Every other week use 40 mg pen. It remains the same for all weight levels.
When to avoid Humira?
- Using Humira (Adalimumab) together with azathioprine, prednisone, methotrexate, and Imuran may increase the risk of serious and potentially life-threatening infections.
- Combination of hydroxychloroquine (used to treat malaria) with Humira may increase the risk of nerve damage, which is a potential side effect of both medications.
Precautions while taking Humira
- Tell your doctor about all of your health conditions, including an infection (or are being treated for infection) or have diabetes or have TB.
- Humira (Adalimumab) cannot be taken orally.
- Throw away any Humira that has become frozen.
- Patients should be tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV prior to initiating therapy.
- Serious infections have happened in people taking Humira like tuberculosis (TB) and infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body.
- Anyone with an inflammatory autoimmune disorder may have a higher risk of lymphoma.
Side Effects of Humira (Adalimumab)
Some reported side effects of Humira are:
- Upper respiratory infection
- Flu syndrome
- Abdominal pain
- Urinary tract infection
Effects on organs?
- Heart reaction- hypertension.
- Skin reactions- Rash, eczema, pruritus, cellulitis, psoriasis, ecchymosis, increased bruising, purpura, erysipelas.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, stomatitis.
- Blood reactions- Lymphopenia, agranulocytosis, granulocytopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia, and leukocytosis.
- Nervous system reaction- headache.
- Immunologic reaction- flu syndrome.
Storage Requirements of Humira (Adalimumab)
- Keep it in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
- Discard Humira if not used within 14 days.
Pro Tips when taking Humira
- When traveling, Humira should be stored in a cool carrier with an ice pack.
- Humira (Adalimumab) cannot be used to rescue patients who have lost responsiveness to another anti-TNF antibody, such as infliximab.
- Humira can lower the ability of your immune system to fight infections, because of which you should not start taking Humira if you have any kind of infection.
Is Humira (Adalimumab) addictive?
Can I have Humira with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, not until your doctor advises you otherwise.
Can I have Humira (Adalimumab) when pregnant?
Yes, only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Humira while feeding a baby?
Yes, only if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I drive after taking Humira?
Yes, only after you know how Humira affects your thinking ability.
What happens if I overdose on Humira (Adalimumab)?
Maximum tolerated dosage has yet not been established. In case of overdose, call your doctor and he will monitor you for any unfamiliar effects.
What happens if I eat expired Humira?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Humira (Adalimumab)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.