Table of Contents
- 1 What is Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 2 Uses of Hydrochlorothiazide
- 3 How Does Hydrochlorothiazide Work?
- 4 How to Take Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 5 Hydrochlorothiazide Price in India
- 6 Common Dosage for Hydrochlorothiazide
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 8 Side-Effects of Hydrochlorothiazide
- 9 Effects of Hydrochlorothiazide on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Hydrochlorothiazide
- 12 Storage Requirements about Hydrochlorothiazide
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Hydrochlorothiazide
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Hydrochlorothiazide
- 15 Is Hydrochlorothiazide addictive?
- 16 Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Hydrochlorothiazide?
- 24 When Was Hydrochlorothiazide Made?
What is Hydrochlorothiazide?
Hydrochlorothiazide, which is also known as HCT or HCTZ, is a diuretic medication. It is used to reduce high blood pressure and fluid which cause swelling in some body parts. Hydrochlorothiazide can be combined with other medication used to treat blood pressure in order to ensure high effectiveness.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Coupon | Coupons For 1Mg
Uses of Hydrochlorothiazide
- Hydrochlorothiazide helps remove excess salt and water from the body.
- It increases the amount of urine passed as it is a water pill
- Hydrochlorothiazide is used to treat edema which can be caused due to failure of the kidney, heart, and liver.
How Does Hydrochlorothiazide Work?
Hydrochlorothiazide works by reducing fluid intake which can prevent oedema. It also prevents an excess amount of salt and water which in turn can control high blood pressure.
How to Take Hydrochlorothiazide?
- Take Hydrochlorothiazide with a full glass of water.
- Hydrochlorothiazide should be taken in the morning after breakfast and in the evening after 6 or 7 p.m according whatever the doctor prescribes.
- The timings are such to ensure there is no disturbance in your sleep due to the the constant need to urinate.
Hydrochlorothiazide Price in India
|Hydrochlorothiazide (10)||Rs 98.00|
Also Read: Adderall Price | Diltiazem Price
Common Dosage for Hydrochlorothiazide
Dosage of Hydrochlorothiazide for adults are:
- Edema-25 to 100mg once or twice a day.
- Hypertension 20 to 25mgper day.
- Nephrocalcinosis-15 to 25mg per day
- Osteoporosis- 25 to 50 mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Hydrochlorothiazide?
Avoid Hydrochlorothiazide when you have the following symptoms:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Muscle cramps
- Increased thirst level
Also Read: Hydroxychloroquine Dosage
Side-Effects of Hydrochlorothiazide
Some common side effects of Hydrochlorothiazide are:
- Ringing in ears
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Upper stomach pain
Also Read: Duloxetine Side Effect | Estradiol Side Effect | Folic Acid Side Effect
Effects of Hydrochlorothiazide on Organs
Hydrochlorothiazide can cause damage to the blood vessels of the heart, liver, and kidney which leads to stroke and failure in the kidney and heart.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Hydrochlorothiazide should not be taken with ibuprofen and naproxen, etc. as it contains ethacrynic acid which can interact with Hydrochlorothiazide and cause high blood pressure and increased swelling. It is always better to consult your doctor before taking any medications while you are taking Hydrochlorothiazide.
Effects/Results after Consuming Hydrochlorothiazide
Hydrochlorothiazide will show its effect within one hour and the diuresis will last up to 6 to 8 hours.
Storage Requirements about Hydrochlorothiazide
Hydrochlorothiazide can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Also, keep it from freezing.
Pro Tips When Taking Hydrochlorothiazide
While taking Hydrochlorothiazide you may become sensitive to sunlight. It is safe to test your blood glucose level regularly if you have diabetes.
FAQs – Things to Know About Hydrochlorothiazide
Is Hydrochlorothiazide addictive?
Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide with alcohol?
No. Having Hydrochlorothiazide with alcohol will cause dizziness as it is diuretic.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Consume low salt and sodium food along with rich potassium diet.
Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide when pregnant?
No. Hydrochlorothiazide is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes unexplained maternity death.
Can I have Hydrochlorothiazide when feeding a baby?
Taking Hydrochlorothiazide while breastfeeding can increase the obesity in infants and it can reduce the breast milk. It is better to take advice from your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Hydrochlorothiazide?
Sometimes you may feel dizzy after taking Hydrochlorothiazide.
What happens if I overdose on Hydrochlorothiazide?
It would cause hypertension, reduce the blood volume, hypokalaemia and electrolyte imbalance.
What happens if I eat expired Hydrochlorothiazide?
It will not be effective in regulating the absorption, which may result in kidney damage.
What happens if I miss a dose of Hydrochlorothiazide?
If you miss a dose of Digoxin take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Hydrochlorothiazide Made?
Hydrochlorothiazide was made in the year 1959.
Also read about other medicine: Diphenhydramine