Table of Contents
- What is Hydrocodone?
- Uses of Hydrocodone
- How does Hydrocodone work?
- How to Take Hydrocodone?
- Hydrocodone Price In India
- Common Dosage for Hydrocodone?
- When to Avoid Hydrocodone?
- Side-effects of Hydrocodone?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Is Hydrocodone addictive?
- Can I have Hydrocodone with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Hydrocodone when pregnant?
- Can I have Hydrocodone when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Hydrocodone?
- What happens if I overdose on Hydrocodone?
- What happens if I take expired Hydrocodone?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Hydrocodone?
- Storage Requirements for Hydrocodone
- Pro Tips When Taking Hydrocodone
What is Hydrocodone?
Hydrocodone is a semisynthetic, moderately potent, opioid. It is derived from the resin of poppy seeds.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Online | Medlife New User Offer
Uses of Hydrocodone
Hydrocodone is used for the treatment of acute or chronic pain and also used to treat cough.
How does Hydrocodone work?
Hydrocodone primarily works by binding to and activating the mu-opioid receptor in the central nervous system (CNS) which helps in relieving pain and in cough suppression.
How to Take Hydrocodone?
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Hydrocodone are based on your age, the severity of the condition, physical health, and response to therapy.
- Hydrocodone is available in combination with other analgesics, antihistamines or anticholinergics in concentrations of 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10 mg in the following forms –
- Tablets/capsules and syrups must be consumed with water. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule.
- You must take Hydrocodone at around same time every day.
Hydrocodone Price In India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 100.00|
Also Read: Entresto Price | Glipizide Price
Common Dosage for Hydrocodone?
- Hydroco done is generally taken every 4 to 6 hours.
- Hydrocodone extended-release capsule is usually taken once every 12 hours.
- Hydrocodone extended-release tablet is usually taken once daily.
When to Avoid Hydrocodone?
Hydrocodone should be avoided or used with caution in:
- If you suffer from allergy to any of its components
- If you suffer from obstruction or contraction in your stomach or intestines, or paralytic ileus
- low blood pressure, trouble urinating, seizures,
- If you suffer from liver, kidney, thyroid, gall bladder, or pancreatic disease
- If you colon cancer, esophageal cancer
- If you have heart failure or heart rhythm problems such long QT syndrome
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery.
Side-effects of Hydrocodone?
In addition to its intended uses, Hydrocodone may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- abdominal pain
- dryness in mouth
- weakness, lethargy
- back pain
- muscle spasm and stiffness
- difficult, or painful urination
- ringing sensation in ears
- swelling in legs
- intense shaking of a part of the body
Also Read: Humalog Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Hydrocodone should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney, liver, thyroid, heart and pancreatic diseases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Hydrocodone have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other. Always inform your doctor if you are taking medicines to thin the blood or other anticancer drugs. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Hydrocodone, especially:
- Medications for Parkinson’s disease
- Medications for irritable bowel disease
- Medications for urinary problems
- Medications for migraine headaches – almotriptan, eletriptan
- 5HT3 serotonin blockers such as alosetron
- Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors such as citalopram
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors
- Tricyclic antidepressants – amitriptyline
- Isocarboxazid, linezolid
- Methylene blue
Shows Effects / Results In
The analgesic action of Hydrocodone begins in 20-30 minutes and lasts about 4-8 hours.
Is Hydrocodone addictive?
Yes, a habit-forming tendency has been reported with Hydrocodone. Prolonged use must be avoided.
Can I have Hydrocodone with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Hydrocodone therapy.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Hydrocodone when pregnant?
- Hydrocodone is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Hydrocodone when feeding a baby?
- Hydrocodone is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Hydrocodone?
Hydrocodone may cause a headache as side effects. Make sure you are not affected before you drive.
What happens if I overdose on Hydrocodone?
Hydrocodone should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
What happens if I take expired Hydrocodone?
- A single dose of expired Hydrocodone may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Hydrocodone?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working.
- Kindly consult your physician.
Storage Requirements for Hydrocodone
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Hydrocodone
Hydrocodone may lead to slow or stopped breathing, especially during the first 2-3 days of initiating treatment and any time your dose is increased.