Table of Contents
- What is Hydroxychloroquine?
- Uses of Hydroxychloroquine
- How Does Hydroxychloroquine Work?
- Hydroxychloroquine Price in India
- How to Take Hydroxychloroquine?
- Common Dosage for Hydroxychloroquine
- Precautions – When to Avoid Hydroxychloroquine?
- Side-Effects of Hydroxychloroquine
- Effects of Hydroxychloroquine on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Hydroxychloroquine
- Storage Requirements about Hydroxychloroquine
- Pro Tips When Taking Hydroxychloroquine
- FAQs – Things to Know About Hydroxychloroquine
- Is Hydroxychloroquine addictive?
- Can I have Hydroxychloroquine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Hydroxychloroquine when pregnant?
- Can I have Hydroxychloroquine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Hydroxychloroquine?
- What happens if I overdose on Hydroxychloroquine?
- What happens if I eat expired Hydroxychloroquine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Hydroxychloroquine?
- When Was Hydroxychloroquine Made?
What is Hydroxychloroquine?
Hydroxychloroquine (hcq) is sold under the brand name Plaquenil. It is an antimalarial and 4-aminoquinoline medication. Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat some types of malaria.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Uses of Hydroxychloroquine
- Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat specifically chloroquine-sensitive malaria.
- It is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
- Hydroxychloroquine is also used in the treatment of post Lyme arthritis.
Also Read: Adderall Uses | Diltiazem Uses | Diphenhydramine Uses
How Does Hydroxychloroquine Work?
Hydroxychloroquine causes the reduction of fluid retention (oedema) caused by heart, kidney, liver diseases which would result in lowering the blood pressure.
Hydroxychloroquine Price in India
|Hydroxychloroquine (Volume of 10)||Rs 77.00|
How to Take Hydroxychloroquine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Take Hydroxychloroquine with a meal or water.
- Try to take this medication at the same time every day.
Common Dosage for Hydroxychloroquine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For malaria prophylaxis, the initial dose is 400mg.
- For rheumatoid arthritis, it is from 400 to 600mg.
Other medicine's Dosage: Duloxetine Dosage | Estradiol Dosage | Folic Acid Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Hydroxychloroquine?
While taking Hydroxychloroquine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Hydroxychloroquine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Hydroxychloroquine.
Side-Effects of Hydroxychloroquine
Some common side effects of Hydroxychloroquine are:
- Ringing in ears
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain or loss
- Rashes or itches in skin
- Nervous or irritation
- Hair loss
- Sudden Mood changes
Effects of Hydroxychloroquine on Organs
Long-term usage of Hydroxychloroquine may cause defects in the eyesight. Its mechanism also causes hepatotoxicity. High dosage may cause renal damage in the kidneys.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs like antacids will decrease the absorption of Hydroxychloroquine. The other drugs known for interactions are:
- cancer medication,
- heart or blood pressure medications,
- birth control pills, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine will show its effect within 1 to 2 months and it may take up to 6 months to a year for full recovery from symptoms.
Storage Requirements about Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Hydroxychloroquine
- Hydroxychloroquine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Hydroxychloroquine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Hydroxychloroquine
Is Hydroxychloroquine addictive?
Can I have Hydroxychloroquine with alcohol?
No. Having Hydroxychloroquine with alcohol will cause liver damage.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Hydroxychloroquine when pregnant?
No. Hydroxychloroquine is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes damage to the eye and ear.
Can I have Hydroxychloroquine when feeding a baby?
There are no side effects reported for the baby even though it is passed through breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Hydroxychloroquine?
No. Hydroxychloroquine can cause blurring of vision and impaired thoughts.
What happens if I overdose on Hydroxychloroquine?
It would cause dizziness, chest pain, light-headedness, seizure, decreased heartbeat, nausea, etc.
What happens if I eat expired Hydroxychloroquine?
It will not be effective but sometimes it may cause changes in the eyesight.
What happens if I miss a dose of Hydroxychloroquine?
If you miss a dose of Hydroxychloroquine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Hydroxychloroquine Made?
Hydroxychloroquine was made in the year 1955.
Also read about other medicine's: Hydrochlorothiazide