What is Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- Hydroxyethyl Starch is used in isotonic solution form (6% Hydroxyethyl Starch in 0.9% sodium chloride injection) for prophylaxis and treatment of hypovolemia in adults and children.
Buy & save from: Myra Medicines | 1mg | Practo
Uses of Hydroxyethyl Starch:
- Indicated for treatment of Hypovolemia
Know more: Junior Lanzol Uses
How does Hydroxyethyl Starch work?
- Hydroxyethyl starch expands plasma volume when administered intravenously as a colloidal solution.
Know more: Levofloxacin Composition
How to Take Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- Each 100ml of solution contains 6g of Hydroxyethyl starch and 900mg of sodium chloride in water for injection.
- It is administered by intravenous infusion only. The dose and rate of infusion depends on the patient’s blood loss.
Common Dosage for Hydroxyethyl Starch:
- The recommended dose in adults is 50ml per kg body weight per day. The initial 10-20ml should be infused slowly to check for any anaphylactoid (allergic) reactions.
- Dosage should be adjusted in paediatric patients as per need.
Read more: Jalra M Dosage
When to avoid Hydroxyethyl Starch and precautions to take?
Hydroxyethyl Starch should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease
- Critically ill patients including patients with sepsis
- Patients with pre-existing blood disorders
- Patients with intracranial bleeding
- Patients receiving dialysis
Side effects of Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- Commonly observed side effects include:
- Pruritis (itching)
- Increased concentration of serum amylase
- Decrease in plasma proteins
- Coagulation disorders
- Allergic reactions (rare)
Read more: Mecobalamin Side Effects
Effects on organs?
- Hydroxyethyl Starch should not be administered in patients with severe kidney and liver disease and in patients with pre-existing volume overload.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy with Hydroxyethyl Starch may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Hydroxyethyl Starch. No drug interactions have been observed with Hydroxyethyl Starch as such.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time required by Hydroxyethyl Starch to show its desired effect varies from person to person and depends on the volume of blood loss.
Storage of Hydroxyethyl Starch
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Hydroxyethyl Starch:
- Administration of Hydroxyethyl starch in fluid form can lead to volume overload resulting in cardiac and pulmonary failure. Proper monitoring should be done in such patients.
Also check out: Dimethicone Price | Jalra M Price
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Hydroxyethyl Starch addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Hydroxyethyl Starch with alcohol?
- Interaction of Hydroxyethyl Starch with alcohol is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction with food products observed.
Can I have Hydroxyethyl Starch when Pregnant?
- Hydroxyethyl Starch should be used in pregnant women only if the potential benefits outweigh the risks.
Can I have Hydroxyethyl Starch when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Hydroxyethyl Starch is secreted in breast milk or not thus it should be administered with caution in lactating females.
Can I drive after taking Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- Hydroxyethyl Starch does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose or frequency.
- In cases of over dosage, observe the patient and supportive therapy is administered.
What happens if I administer expired Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicines decreases and also it may lead to some adverse effects.
What happens if I miss a dose of Hydroxyethyl Starch?
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.