Table of Contents
- 1 What is Hydroxyzine?
- 2 Uses of Hydroxyzine
- 3 How Does Hydroxyzine Work?
- 4 How to Take Hydroxyzine?
- 5 Hydroxyzine Price in India
- 6 Common Dosage for Hydroxyzine
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Hydroxyzine?
- 8 Side-Effects of Hydroxyzine
- 9 Effects of Hydroxyzine on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Hydroxyzine
- 12 Storage Requirements about Hydroxyzine
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Hydroxyzine
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Hydroxyzine
- 15 Is Hydroxyzine addictive?
- 16 Can I have Hydroxyzine with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Hydroxyzine when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Hydroxyzine when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Hydroxyzine?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Hydroxyzine?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Hydroxyzine?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Hydroxyzine?
- 24 When Was Hydroxyzine Made?
What is Hydroxyzine?
Hydroxyzine is sold under the brand name Atarax and Vistaril. It is a first-generation antihistamine medication. Hydroxyzine is used to treat some types of allergic reactions.
Uses of Hydroxyzine
- Hydroxyzine is used to treat itching, hyperalgesia.
- It is also used to cure motion sickness and nausea.
- Hydroxyzine also treats the withdrawal effects of opioids.
- It acts a sedative, hypnotic and anxiolytic drug.
Also Read: Meloxicam Uses | Metformin Uses | Mirtazapine Uses
How Does Hydroxyzine Work?
Hydroxyzine is used to prevent allergic reactions. It blocks the production of some natural substances such as histamine, which forms allergic reactions.
How to Take Hydroxyzine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- It is in tablet or liquid form.
- It is recommended to take Hydroxyzine in the evening.
Hydroxyzine Price in India
Also Read: Lisinopril Price | Lomotil Price
Common Dosage for Hydroxyzine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For anxiety, the dosage is from 50 to 100mg which should be taken 4 times a day.
- For pruritus, the dosage is 25mg taken 3 to 4 times a day.
- In sedation, the dosage is from 50mg to 100mg per day.
- To treat nausea or vomiting the dosage is between 25mg and 100mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Hydroxyzine?
While taking Hydroxyzine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Hydroxyzine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Hydroxyzine.
Side-Effects of Hydroxyzine
Some common side effects of Hydroxyzine are:
- Weakness or tiredness
- Cough or stuffy nose
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Rashes or itching
- Loss of hearing
- Dark coloured urine
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Imodium Side Effect | Insulin Side Effect
Effects of Hydroxyzine on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects on the liver while consuming Hydroxyzine as it is metabolized in the liver.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Hydroxyzine are:
- Antidepressant drugs,
- anxiety drugs,
- sleeping pills,
- tranquilizers, and
- other antihistamines.
Effects/Results after Consuming Hydroxyzine
Hydroxyzine will show its effect within 1 to 2 hours and may take up to 6 hours to get out of the system.
Storage Requirements about Hydroxyzine
Hydroxyzine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Hydroxyzine
- Hydroxyzine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Hydroxyzine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Hydroxyzine
Is Hydroxyzine addictive?
Can I have Hydroxyzine with alcohol?
No. Having Hydroxyzine with alcohol will cause dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty in concentration by affecting the nervous system.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Hydroxyzine when pregnant?
Hydroxyzine is not reported to have any side effects on mother or baby during pregnancy.
Can I have Hydroxyzine when feeding a baby?
Taking Hydroxyzine while breastfeeding can cause serious side effects for the baby as it may pass through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Hydroxyzine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Hydroxyzine?
It would cause dizziness, drowsiness, and agitations.
What happens if I eat expired Hydroxyzine?
It will not be effective but sometimes it may cause changes in the eyesight.
What happens if I miss a dose of Hydroxyzine?
If you miss a dose of Hydroxyzine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Hydroxyzine Made?
Hydroxyzine was made in the year 1956 by Union Chimique Belge.