What is Ifosfamide?
- Ifosfamide is an anti-cancer drug used in combination with other approved anti- cancer drugs for treatment of testicular cancer.
- Ifosfamide is an alkylating drug which is available in vial form for Intravenous injection.
Buy & Enjoy 20% OFF: Pharmeasy | Myra Medicines
Uses of Ifosfamide:
- Indicated for third line chemotherapy of germ cell testicular cancer
- Used in combination with Mesna to prevent hemorrhagic cystitis.
Also Reads: Harvoni Uses
How does Ifosfamide work?
- The exact mechanism of action of Ifosfamide is unknown but its cytotoxic action is mainly due to DNA crosslinks caused by alkylation, the formation of these cross links causes cell death.
Also Read: Dolopar Composition | Farxiga Composition
How to Take Ifosfamide?
Ifosfamide is administered intravenously along with extensive hydration consisting of at least 2 litre of oral or intravenous fluid per day in order to prevent bladder toxicity.
Common Dosage for Ifosfamide:
- The recommended dose of Ifosfamide is 1.2 grams per m2 per day for 5 consecutive days. Treatment is repeated after every 3 weeks or after recovery from toxicity.
- Ifosfamide should be administered as slow intravenous infusion lasting a minimum of 30 minutes.
Also Read: Gleevec Dosage | Fosamax Dosage
When to avoid Ifosfamide and precautions to take?
Ifosfamide should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Patients with liver and kidney disease
- Pregnant and lactating females
- Patients with cystitis
- Patients with immunosuppression
- Patients with bladder infection
Also Read: Incruse Ellipta Precaution
Side effects of Ifosfamide?
- Ifosfamide may produce multiple side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects include:
- Hemorrhagic cystitis
- Increased chances of infection
Effects on organs?
- Ifosfamide can lead to immunosuppression and thus increased chances of infection. Continuous monitoring of blood cells should be done prior to and at intervals after treatment.
- Ifosfamide can lead to neurotoxicity and cardiotoxicity. Use it with caution in patients with pre-existing cardiac disease or encephalopathy.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy with Ifosfamide may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful
Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Ifosfamide. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
Shows Effects / Results After Consuming Ifosfamide:
The time required by Ifosfamide to show its desired effect varies from person to person and depends on the clinical situation.
Storage of Ifosfamide
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Ifosfamide:
- Patients with long term use of Ifosfamide are associated with increased rate of opportunistic infections which may sometimes be serious and fatal.
FAQs – Things to Know About Ifosfamide
Is Ifosfamide addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Ifosfamide with alcohol?
Interaction of Ifosfamide with alcohol is unknown. But it may increase the incidence of hepatic (liver) damage when administered concomitantly.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grape fruit and grape fruit juice.
Can I have Ifosfamide when Pregnant?
Ifosfamide is contraindicated in pregnant women.
Can I have Ifosfamide when feeding a baby?
Women should be advised not to administer Ifosfamide while lactating.
Can I drive after taking Ifosfamide?
Ifosfamide does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Ifosfamide?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose or frequency.
- In cases of over dosage, observe the patient and supportive therapy is administered.
What happens if I eat expired Ifosfamide?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicines decreases and also it may lead to some adverse effects.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ifosfamide?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.