Table of Contents
- 1 What is Imatinib?
- 2 Uses of Imatinib
- 3 How Does Imatinib Work?
- 4 How to Take Imatinib?
- 5 Imatinib Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Imatinib?
- 7 When to Avoid Imatinib?
- 8 Side-Effects of Imatinib
- 9 Effects of Imatinib on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Imatinib
- 13 Is Imatinib addictive?
- 14 Can I have Imatinib with alcohol?
- 15 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 16 Can I have Imatinib when pregnant?
- 17 Can I have Imatinib when feeding a baby?
- 18 Can I drive after taking Imatinib?
- 19 What happens if I overdose on Imatinib?
- 20 What happens if I eat expired Imatinib?
- 21 What happens if I miss a dose of Imatinib?
- 22 Storage Requirements for Imatinib
- 23 Pro Tips When Taking Imatinib
What is Imatinib?
Imatinib is an anti-cancer drug used in the treatment of cancer.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines | 1Mg Medicines
Uses of Imatinib
Imatinib is used in the treatment of:
- Blood cancer
- Skin cancer
- Bone marrow disorders
- Stomach and digestive system tumors
Also Read: Griseofulvin Uses | Isoniazid Uses
How Does Imatinib Work?
Some proteins in our body act as a messenger for transmitting the signal to cancer affected cells to multiply. Imatinib acts as a blocking agent for these messengers thereby stopping the cancer cells from multiplying.
How to Take Imatinib?
Imatinib tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are having difficulty swallowing Imatinib tablet then dissolve it in a glass of water and drink it. You must consume this medication after a meal.
Imatinib Price In India
|100 mg Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 91.54|
|100 mg Strips of 10 Capsules||Rs 75.2|
|Imat:100 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 45.56|
Also Read: Enoxaparin Price
Common Dosage for Imatinib?
Imatinib is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Aminophylline Dosage | Doxorubicin Dosage
When to Avoid Imatinib?
Avoid Imatinib if:
- You are allergic to any component of Imatinib
- You have an underactive thyroid gland
- You are prone to stomach ulcer and bleeding
- You have heart conditions
- You have kidney or liver impairment
Side-Effects of Imatinib
Some of the reported side effects of Imatinib are:
- Pain in muscles or joints
- Pain in abdomen
- Muscle cramping
- Sore throat
Effects of Imatinib on Organs?
Long-term use of Imatinib is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Imatinib are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Imatinib:
- Blood-thinning medication
Effects/Results After Consuming Imatinib
The effect of Imatinib can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your cancer symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Imatinib addictive?
Imatinib is not addictive in nature
Can I have Imatinib with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Imatinib. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Imatinib causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice while on Imatinib. You must consult your doctor regarding the other foods to be avoided.
Can I have Imatinib when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Imatinib if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Imatinib when feeding a baby?
Imatinib is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Imatinib while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Imatinib?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Imatinib. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Imatinib?
An overdose of Imatinib will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Imatinib?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Imatinib, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Imatinib?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Imatinib
- Always store Imatinib at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Imatinib away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Imatinib
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Imatinib if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- You are at more risk of infections or falling sick while on this medication, so it is necessary to take precautions.
- Your doctor must know your complete medical history before prescribing Imatinib.
Other medicine's to read: Ethambutol | Famotidine | Filgrastim