Table of Contents
- 1 What is Imodium?
- 2 Uses of Imodium
- 3 How Does Imodium Work?
- 4 How to Take Imodium?
- 5 Imodium Price in India
- 6 Common Dosage for Imodium
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Imodium?
- 8 Side-Effects of Imodium
- 9 Effects of Imodium on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Imodium
- 12 Storage Requirements about Imodium
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Imodium
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Imodium
- 15 Is Imodium addictive?
- 16 Can I have Imodium with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Imodium when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Imodium when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Imodium?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Imodium?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Imodium?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Imodium?
- 24 When Was Imodium Made?
Imodium Composition – Loperamide (2mg)
Manufactured By – Janssen Pharmaceuticals
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Capsule
Price – Rs 14.95
Quantity – 4 capsules in 1 strip
What is Imodium?
Imodium which is a very effective anti-diarrhoea medication is a brand name for Loperamide. It is used to prevent the frequency of sudden diarrhoea which includes traveller’s diarrhoea. Imodium through some recent studies, has been proven to be more effective and have fewer side effects.
Manufactured By – Janssen Pharmaceuticals
Other variants and composition –
Imodium 2Mg Capsule – Loperamide 2 MG
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Discount Coupon | Netmeds Offers Today
Uses of Imodium
Imodium is used to treat people who have undergone ileostomy and decrease the discharge amount. It makes the intestine absorb more nutrients and fluids by making the digestion slower.
Also Read: Lisinopril Uses | Lomotil Uses | Loratadine Uses
How Does Imodium Work?
Imodium slows down the gut movement which would result in a reduction in the number of bowel movements. This will result in less watery stool.
How to Take Imodium?
- Take Imodium capsule with a full glass of water.
- As Imodium may cause dehydration, drink extra volume of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- If the tablet is chewable, take it on an empty stomach and chew it down completely before swallowing.
Imodium Price in India
|Imodium (a 2 mg tablet)||Rupees 4.00|
Also Read: Hydroxyzine Price | Insulin Price
Common Dosage for Imodium
Imodium is available in tablets, capsules or liquid form which can all be taken orally.
- Acute diarrhoea:
- Adults – 4mg per day.
- Children – According to the individuals’ age and weight, the dosage may vary from 1mg to 2mg per day.
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Adults – The recommended dose is about 4mg per day.
- Without the doctor’s advice children less than 3 years should not be given Imodium.
Precautions – When to Avoid Imodium?
While taking Imodium you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t do exercise or get yourself dehydrated an overheated.
- Don’t take Imodium along with certain medications.
- Avoid Imodium if you feel nausea
Side-Effects of Imodium
Some common side effects of Imodium are:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Meloxicam Side Effect | Metformin Side Effect | Mirtazapine Side Effect
Effects of Imodium on Organs
If the person already has damage in the liver or in its functions, taking Imodium will increase the chance of side effects.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction varies according to how the drug works. Drugs such as
- antispasmodics interact with Imodium and cause constipation.
- Hearing rhythm will get affected when Imodium interacts with quinidine,
- pentamidine, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Imodium
Imodium will show its effect in full capacity around 6 to 8 hours after being consumed. The effect will last for up to 48 hours.
Storage Requirements about Imodium
Imodium can be stored in a closed container at room temperature between 15 to 300C and away from heat, moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Imodium
Take some extra water while taking Imodium as it dehydrates the body. Without the doctor’s prescription, you must not take these tablets more than 3 times a day.
FAQs – Things to Know About Imodium
Is Imodium addictive?
Can I have Imodium with alcohol?
No. Having Imodium with alcohol will cause drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Fatty foods, dairy products, coffee, and tea, etc.
Can I have Imodium when pregnant?
You can take advice from your doctor before taking Imodium.
Can I have Imodium when feeding a baby?
Taking Imodium while breastfeeding can cause side effects in infants.
Can I drive after taking Imodium?
No. You may feel dizzy or drowsy after taking Imodium.
What happens if I overdose on Imodium?
It would cause breathing and heart problems and it would even cause death.
What happens if I eat expired Imodium?
You can expect a loss of potency if Imodium is expired.
What happens if I miss a dose of Imodium?
If you miss a dose of Imodium take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Imodium Made?
Imodium was made in the year 1969 and used medically in 1976.