Table of Contents
- What is Isoniazid?
- Uses of Isoniazid
- How Does Isoniazid Work?
- How to Take Isoniazid?
- Isoniazid Price In India
- Common Dosage for Isoniazid?
- When to Avoid Isoniazid?
- Side-Effects of Isoniazid
- Effects of Isoniazid on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Isoniazid
- Is Isoniazid addictive?
- Can I have Isoniazid with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Isoniazid when pregnant?
- Can I have Isoniazid when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Isoniazid?
- What happens if I overdose on Isoniazid?
- What happens if I eat expired Isoniazid?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Isoniazid?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Isoniazid
What is Isoniazid?
Isoniazid is a medication which is active against tuberculosis causing bacteria.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Uses of Isoniazid
Isoniazid is mainly used for the treatment of tuberculosis and inactive tuberculosis.
Also read about other medicine's: Filgrastim Uses
How Does Isoniazid Work?
Bacterial cell wall is an essential component for its growth and survival. Isoniazid acts by destroying the cell wall of bacteria resulting in stoppage of growth and multiplication. This action results in finally killing the bacteria and curing the infection.
How to Take Isoniazid?
Isoniazid tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are prescribed with syrup form them measure the quantity prescribed with measuring cup and drink it. Always shake the bottle before use. You should consume Isoniazid on an empty stomach.
Isoniazid Price In India
|300 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||NOT FOR SALE|
|Isonex: 300 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 2.15|
Also Read: Ethambutol Price | Famotidine Price
Common Dosage for Isoniazid?
Isoniazid is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Imatinib Dosage
When to Avoid Isoniazid?
Avoid Isoniazid if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have liver disease
- You have diabetes
- You have HIV
- You have kidney disorder
Side-Effects of Isoniazid
- Tingling and numbness of extremities
- Increased liver enzymes,
- Hepatitis (liver infection)
- Vision changes
- Appetite loss
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Griseofulvin Side Effect
Effects of Isoniazid on Organs?
Long term use of Isoniazid is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Isoniazid are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Effects/Results After Consuming Isoniazid
The effect of Isoniazid can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your tuberclosis symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Isoniazid
Is Isoniazid addictive?
Isoniazid is generally not addictive in nature
Can I have Isoniazid with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Isoniazid. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with this medication causes flushing, increased heartbeat, nausea, thirst, low blood pressure and chest pain.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must avoid the food that is rich in tyramine (like smoked fish, cheese, meat, beers, etc.). Further, consult your doctor regarding the food items to be avoided
Can I have Isoniazid when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Isoniazid if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Isoniazid when feeding a baby?
Isoniazid is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Isoniazid?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Isoniazid. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Isoniazid?
Overdose of Isoniazid will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Isoniazid?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Isoniazid, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Isoniazid?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store this medication at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the cap tightly after use of suspension form of this drug
- Keep this medicine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Isoniazid
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Isoniazid if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Your doctor must prescribe a vitamin B6 supplementation along with this medication.
- Our doctor must be aware of your complete medical history while prescribing this medication.
- For best results consume Isoniazid either 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Other medicine's to read: Aminophylline | Doxorubicin | Enoxaparin