Isordil Composition – Isosorbide Dinitrate (5mg)
Manufactured By – Ipca Laboratories Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 10.16
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What Is Isordil?
- Isordil contains isosorbide dinitrate as it’s active ingredient. It is a vasodialator used to prevent angina pain in patients with certain heart disease.
- Isordil prevents angina attack but is unable to treat an angina attack that has already begun.
- Available in tablet form for oral and sublingual administration in two doses: 5mg and 40mg.
Manufactured By – Ipca Laboratories Ltd
Uses Of Isordil
- Isordil is used in the prevention of angina pectoris and heart failure. It cannot be used in an acute angina episode as its onset of action is not rapid.
How Does Isordil Work?
- Isosordil contains nitrates which relaxes and dilates the blood vessels. This increases the flow of blood towards heart thus reducing strain on the heart and preventing acute anginal attack.
How to Take Isordil?
- Conventional Isordil tablet is meant to be taken orally, on an empty stomach.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush. Doing so can release all the drug at once and thus increasing the chances of side effects.
- Sublingual Isordil tablet is meant to be kept under the tongue, during an attack of angina pectoris.
Common Dosage Of Isordil
- The dosage of Isordil depends on severity of disease.
- Tolerance to nitrates is very common. To prevent this, a daily dose free interval must be provided in every dosing regimen.
- The usual recommended dose is 5mg or 20mg 2 -3 times daily. For maintenance dose, 10mg or 40mg 2-3 times a day is required.
To minimize tolerance, a daily dose free interval of 14 hours is advisable.
When to Avoid Isordil & Precautions To Take?
- Do not use Isordil if you are allergic to it.
- Isordil is contraindicated in anemia and obstructive coronary disease.
- Patients taking drugs for erectile dysfunction like sildenafil, Viagra
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Patients with hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Patients showing signs of acute myocardial infarction
Side Effects Of Isordil
Common side effects of Isordil include-
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Light headedness
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Skin rashes
Effect on Organs?
- Isordil may cause blurring of vision and lowers blood pressure
- Patients with heart failure and acute myocardial infarction should avoid use of Isordil.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
Seek immediate medical attention if such symptoms show up.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Isordil interacts with the following drugs –
Shows Effects/Results In
- Onset ofaction of Isordil can be seen within 20-30 of oral administration and within 2 to 5 minutes of sublingual administration.
- Duration of effect lasts for about 4-6 hours of oral administration and 2 hours of sublingual administration.
Storage Requirements for Isordil
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Isordil
- Do not stop taking Isordil abruptly as it causes withdrawal symptoms.
- Patients on Isordil might experience headache initially especially in first few days of treatment. Do not stop taking Isordil as these headaches may gradually become less severe as you continue to use this medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Isordil addictive?
Can I have Isordil with alcohol?
Interaction of Isordil with alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive dizziness and calmness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Isordil when pregnant?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary as animal studies have shown adverse effects on foetus.
Can I have Isordil when feeding a baby?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I drive after taking Isordil?
No. Few patients may exhibit dizziness and headache following oral administration of Isordil thus avoid its use while driving.
What happens if I overdose on Isordil?
Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects like throbbing headache, severe dizziness, vision problems, seizures etc
What happens if I eat expired Isordil?
The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Isordil?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
👋CashKaro Exclusive Offer👋
Hungry for more Cashback 💸? Download CashKaro App to get a Rs 60 bonus Cashback + Save up to Rs 15,000/month on online shopping.