Isotroin Composition – Isotretinoin (20mg)
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Capsule
Price – Rs 260.7
Quantity – 10 soft gelatin capsules in 1 strip
What Is Isotroin?
- Isotroin contains Isotretinoin (INN) also known as 13-cis-retinoic acid as it’s active ingredient.
- Isotroin is a retinoid i.e. it is related to vitamin A (derivative of vitamin A), and is found in small quantities naturally in the body.
- Isotroin is mainly used to treat severe nodular acne which is unresponsive to conventional therapy including systemic antibiotics.
Manufactured By –Cipla Ltd.
Uses Of Isotroin
- Isotroin is primarily used to treat severe recalcitrant nodular acne. It is however only indiacted for those female patients who are not pregnant and who do no plan to be pregnant during the course of the therapy.
How Does Isotroin Work?
- Isotroin induces apoptosis (programmatic cell death) in various cells in the body, mainly meibomian glands, hypothalamic cells, hippocampus cells and—important for treatment of acne—in sebaceous gland cells. Therefore, Isotroin decreases the size and sebum output of the sebaceous glands.
How to Take Isotroin?
- Isotroin is available as soft gelatin capsules in different strengths to be taken orally, with food.
- Failure to take Isotroin with food will decrease the absorption of the drug.
Common Dosage Of Isotroin
- The recommended dose for Isotroin is 0.5 to 1mg/kg/day given in two divided dose for 15-20 weeks with food.
- If the total nodule count has decreased by more than 70% before 15-20 weeks, the drug can be discontinued.
- Long term use of Isotroin even in low doses is not recommended. Therefore it should be used as advised.
When to Avoid Isotroin& Precautions To Take?
- Do not take Isotroin if you are allergic to its ingredients.
- Isotroin is contraindicated in liver diseases and in Hypervitaminosis A.
- Pregnancy is contraindicated while using Isotroin,therefore appropriate means of birth control must be taken
- As Isotroin causes oral/hormonal contraception failure and hence use of multiple contraception is advised.
- Patients with psychiatric disorder should avoid the use of isotroin.
Side Effects Of Isotroin
Common side effects of Isotroin include-
- Transient worsening of acne (lasting 2–3 weeks)
- Dry lips (cheilitis)
- Dry and fragile skin
- Increased susceptibility to sunburn
- Muscle aches and pains (myalgias)
- Stomach upset
- Thinning of hair
- Vision changes
- Hearing loss
- Mood changes
- Increased lipid levels
- Nose bleed
- Birth defects in pregnant women
Effect on Organs?
- Isotroin may cause hearing impairment and disturbance in vision.
- Isotroin may impair liver function and can lead to acute pancreatitis
- Isotroin may decrease bone density leading to osteoporosis, osteopenia, delayed healing of bone fractures
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include:
- difficulty in breathing,
- severe skin rashes,
- Swelling of face. Tongue, throat etc
- Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Isotroin interacts with the following drugs-
- Vitamin A supplements
- Systemic corticosteroids
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Natural Micronised Progesterone
Shows Effects/Results In
The effect of Isotroin can be seen within 2-4 weeks of use.
Storage Requirements for Isotroin
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Isotroin
- Avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight as Isotroin may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
- Isotroin may cause dryness in eyes, avoid wearing contact lenses during treatment.
- Regular monitoring of liver function tests and lipid profile should be done during the course of the treatment.
- Patients must be advised not to donate blood during therapy and following one month after discontinuation of Isotroin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Isotroin addictive?
Can I have Isotroin with alcohol?
Avoid as it may increase the chances of liver damage.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Isotroin when pregnant?
It is contraindicated in pregnancy. Female patients in child bearing age must have had two negative serum and urine pregnancy tests before initiating Isotroin therapy.
Can I have Isotroin when feeding a baby?
No it is contraindicated.
Can I drive after taking Isotroin?
What happens if I overdose on Isotroin?
Over dosage of isotroin is associated with vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness. It can also cause serious birth defects if given to pregnant female in any dosage.
What happens if I eat expired Isotroin?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Isotroin?
If you miss a dose of Isotroin, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.