What is Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride is a vasodilator used for the treatment of cerebrovascular insufficiency (poor blood flow to brain) and peripheral vascular diseases.
Save using: Netmeds Coupons | Medlife Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons
Uses of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride:
- Peripheral vascular disease like Raynaud’s disease, Buerger’s disease and arteriosclerosis.
- Cerebrovascular insufficiency
- Management of premature labour (after 20 or more weeks of gestation)
Know more: Mecobalamin Uses
How does Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride work?
- Isoxsuprine causes vasodilation by relaxation of vascular smooth muscle. This increases the blood flow in blood vessels thereby improving the symptoms.
Read more: Dacarbazine Composition
How to Take Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride is available in tablet form (10mg) for oral administration and in 2ml ampule (10mg) form for IV infusion and IM injection.
- Isoxsuprine is well absorbed orally and should be administered following meals.
Common Dosage for Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- The recommended dose for Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride in adult patients with circulatory disturbance is 20mg (2 tablets) three to four times daily.
- In patients with preterm labour, the recommended dose is 10mg (2ml ampule) IM every 3 hours for 24 hours followed by every 4-6 hours for a further 48 hours.
- Once uterine contractions have stopped for at least 12 hours with IM/IV Isoxsuprine, patients may be administered 2 tablets (20mg) orally 3-4 times daily.
Know more: Levofloxacin Dosage
When to Avoid Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride should be avoided or used with caution in following patients:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with bleeding disorders
- Patients with heart disease
- Pregnant and lactating females
Know more: Jalra M Precaution
Side-effects of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride:
- Common side effects with Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride include:
- Irregular heart beat
- Stomach upset
- Chest pain (rarely)
Read more: Dimethicone Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Patients with bleeding disorders and heart disease should abstain from using Isoxsuprine.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to the ingredients of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the doctor of all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions with Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride include:
- Drugs treating other heart conditions
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time duration following which Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride shows its effect is not clinically established.
Storage of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride:
- Isoxsuprine should not be used in patients with bleeding disorders and immediately following postpartum (after delivering a baby).
Frequently asked questions
Is Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride with alcohol?
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. However it may increase the incidence of adverse effects like dizziness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction with food products seen.
Can I have Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride when pregnant?
- The effect of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride is unknown on pregnant females and unborn baby so it should not be administered without medical advice.
Can I have Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride when feeding a baby?
- Nursing mothers should use it with caution as it is not known whether the drug passes in breast milk or not.
Can I drive after taking Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Isoxsuprine may cause dizziness thus use it with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride should not be administered in more than recommended dose or for longer duration as it may lead to toxicity (light-headedness, weakness).
What happens if I take expired Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
What happens if I miss a dose of Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride?
- Always administer the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose– do not take double the dose to make up for the missed dose.