Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Ivoral?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ivoral?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Ivoral?
- Q. What is the onset time of Ivoral?
- Q. Till when does the effect of Ivoral stay?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ivoral?
- What are the effects of Ivoral on organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Ivoral
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Ivoral
- 3. Effects of Ivoral on Lab Tests
- 4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Ivoral with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Ivoral when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Ivoral when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Ivoral?
- Storage requirements for Ivoral
- Q. What is Ivoral?
- Q. What are the uses of Ivoral?
- Q. Should Ivoral be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Ivoral make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Ivoral doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Ivoral effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Ivoral safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ivoral?
- Q. Is Ivoral legal in India?
What is Ivoral?
Ivoral is a combination drug belonging to “anthelmintics” group used to kill or expel infesting helminthes (parasitic worm). Ivoral is available in tablet form for oral administration. This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant and lactating females.
Ivoral Composition – Albendazole – 400mg, Ivermectin – 6mg
Manufactured by – Zydus Cadila
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 36.4
Type of Drug –Anthelmintic (Anti-parasitic)
Uses of Ivoral
Ivoral can be used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Hookworm infection
- Pinworm infection
- Roundworm infection
- Whipworm infection
- Hydatid disease
- Other parasitic infections.
Also Read: Dianuron Plus Tablet Uses
How does Ivoral work?
- Albendazole acts on the microtubular protein of the parasite thereby attaching with the parasite with high affinity and inhibiting its growth or destroying it without causing any damage to the host body.
- Ivermectin binds to nerve and muscle cells of the worm with high affinity causing increased permeability of cell membrane to chloride ion leading to hyperpolarization of nerve or muscle cell.
How to Take Ivoral?
- The dosage and duration of Ivoral tablet should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Ivoral tablet can be taken with or without food but at a fixed time. Bioavailability of Albendazole increases when taken along with high fat meal diet.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing or chewing along with plenty of fluids.
Common Dosage for Ivoral
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- The severity of symptoms and type of intestinal infection
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Depending on the type of infection, the most recommended dose of Ivoral tablet in adults is once orally.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ivoral?
Ivoral should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects like hepatitis, neutropenia (decreased neutrophil count) and GIT side effects like stomach pain, loss of appetite etc. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ivoral?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ivoral?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Ivoral?
You should start to feel recovered within one to three days following treatment with Ivoral. If no improvement is observed within 7 days, consult your doctor.
Q. Till when does the effect of Ivoral stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is not clinically established.
Read About: Iinezolid Dosage
When to avoid Ivoral?
Ivoral should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Ivoral.
- Liver Disease – Patients with severe liver disease must consult the physician before use.
- Kidney disease – Patients with severe kidney disease or on dialysis must consult the physician before use.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women – Pregnant and breast-feeding women must consult the physician before the use of Ivoral.
- Children under 2 years of age
Precautions While Taking Ivoral
Patients with bone marrow suppression should use Ivoral with caution as it may lead to a decrease in white blood cells. Such patients should be regularly monitored for blood cell count.
Read About: Emcoril Syrup Precaution | Emeset Tablet Precaution
Side-Effects of Ivoral
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Diarrhea (less common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
- Temporary loss of hair (less common)
- Dark urine (less common)
- Rashes (less common)
- Abdominal liver function tests (less common)
- Headache(less common)
- Flatulence(less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ivoral?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Ivoral on organs?
- Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in such cases.
- Patients with a history of eye disease should use Ivoral with caution due to the increased risk of retinal damage.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Ivoral. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ivoral
Consumption of grape fruit juice is not recommended as it may increase the incidence of interactions.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ivoral
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Alcohol (Moderate)
- Dexamethasone (Mild)
- Carbamazepine (Moderate)
- Phenytoin (Moderate)
- Clozapine (severe)
3. Effects of Ivoral on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Ivoral.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases and retinal damage must consult their physician before consuming Ivoral.
Q. Can I have Ivoral with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Ivoral as it might increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness & calmness.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Ivoral should not be administered along with grape fruit juice.
Q. Can I have Ivoral when pregnant?
Ivoral is not recommended for use during pregnancy as it may harm the developing fetus. Doctors may advise having a negative pregnancy test before you can start taking this medicine.
Q. Can I have Ivoral when feeding a baby?
There is no evidence as of whether ingredients of Ivoral are excreted in human breast milk or not thus it should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Ivoral?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness or decrease in blood pressure, then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Ivoral – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Ivoral Variants||Ivoral Composition||Ivoral Price|
|Ivoral Forte||Albendazole – 400mg, Ivermectin – 12mg||Rs. 36.4|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% off: Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Substitutes of Ivoral
The following are alternative drugs for Ivoral:
- Noworm plus
- Manufactured by – Alkem Laboratories
- Price – Rs. 17.93
- Manufactured by – Timon Pharma
- Price – Rs. 16
- Vermact Plus
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma
- Price – Rs. 27.28
Storage requirements for Ivoral
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Know More: Diabetone Price
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ivoral
Q. What is Ivoral?
Ivoral is a combination drug belonging to “anthelmintics” group used to kill or expel infesting helminthes (parasitic worm). Ivoral is available in tablet form for oral administration.
Q. What are the uses of Ivoral?
Ivoral is used in the prevention of Hookworm infection, Pinworm infection, Roundworm infection and Other parasitic infections.
Q. Should Ivoral be taken on an empty stomach?
Ivoral can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Ivoral make you drowsy?
Yes. It can make you drowsy and less oriented.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Ivoral doses?
Ivoral is usually recommended as a single daily dose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Ivoral effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Ivoral does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Ivoral safe for children?
Ivoral is safe for consumption in children above 2 years of age. Children below 2 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ivoral?
Patients with bone marrow suppression and retinal damage should administer this drug after informing and consulting the doctor.
Q. Is Ivoral legal in India?
Yes, Ivoral is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.