Table of Contents
- What is Jalra – M?
- Uses of Jalra – M
- How does Jalra – M work?
- How to Take Jalra – M?
- Common Dosage for Jalra – M?
- When to Avoid Jalra – M?
- Side-effects of Jalra – M?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage of Jalra – M
- Pro Tips When Taking Jalra – M
- Frequently asked questions
- Is Jalra – M addictive?
- Can I have Jalra – M with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Jalra – M when pregnant?
- Can I have Jalra – M when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Jalra – M?
- What happens if I overdose on Jalra – M?
- What happens if I take expired Jalra – M?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Jalra – M?
- Similar Reads
What is Jalra – M?
- Jalra – M is an oral anti-diabetic drug.
- Jalra – M comes in tablet form and contains Metformin hydrochloride 500mg and Vildagliptin 50mg as its active ingredients.
Save using: Myra Medicines Coupons | 1mg Coupons | Practo Coupons
Uses of Jalra – M
For patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to control glucose levels in the blood or when the body is unable to use insulin effectively.
Read more: Dimethicone Uses
How does Jalra – M work?
- Jalra – M is an oral hypoglycaemic drug which contains Metformin and Vildagliptin.
- Metformin works by lowering glucose production in liver, delaying absorption of glucose from intestines and increasing body’s sensitivity to insulin.
- Vildagliptin blocks the breakdown of ‘incretin’ hormones in the body. Incretin is released after a meal and it stimulates the pancreas for insulin production. By increasing levels of incretin hormones in the blood, vildagliptin stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin when blood glucose levels are high.
Know more: Erythromycin Composition | Klacid Composition
How to Take Jalra – M?
- Skipping meals should be avoided. Tablets should be taken after meals to avoid stomach upset.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids. For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time.
- Non-pharmacologic therapy (dietary modification, weight control and exercise) is equally essential to reduce blood glucose levels along with Jalra – M therapy.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without doctor’s consent or before the complete course.
Common Dosage for Jalra – M?
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Jalra – M is based on your age, severity of condition, other drug regimens prescribed to the patient, physical health, and response to therapy.
- Constant monitoring of blood glucose levels and dose variation accordingly is must.
- To reduce the risk of side effects, your doctor may initially start from a low dose and gradually increase your dose based on your condition.
- When using Jalra-M, the maximum daily dose of vildagliptin (100 mg) should not be exceeded.
- It should be used with caution in patients with history of liver and kidney disease and should be avoided in pregnant patients.
Read more: Dacarbazine Dosage
When to Avoid Jalra – M?
Jalra – M should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent diabetes)
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (complication of diabetes associated with building up of acids)
- Congestive heart failure
- Diabetic pre-coma
- Severe kidney or liver function disorders
- Acute conditions with the potential to alter kidney function, like
– severe infection
- Pregnant and lactating females
- Acute alcohol intoxication, alcoholism
- Jalra – M should be temporarily discontinued in patients undergoing radiologic studies involving intravascular administration of iodinated contrast materials.
Read more: Levofloxacin Precaution
Side-effects of Jalra – M?
- In addition to its intended uses, Jalra – M may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Hypoglycaemia – most commonly observed if patients take this medicine along with other diabetes drugs. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) include:
- Impaired concentration
- Tachycardia (increased heart beat)
Other less commonly observed side effects include:
- skin reddening or itching
- joint pain
- swelling of the hands, ankles or feet
- a burning sensation in the chest rising up to the throat (‘heartburn’)
- loss of appetite
- wind (flatulence)
- weight increase
- Metallic taste
- Abdominal pain
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Liver & Kidney – Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use Jalra – M with caution as it can cause severe hepatic and renal impairment.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Allergic reactions with Jalra – M have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Jalra – M.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drugs which interact with Jalra – M are listed below:
- Oral contraceptives
- Using all these products along with Jalra – M can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
- Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Jalra – M is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Jalra – M starts showing its effect within 24-48 hours by reducing the blood glucose levels. However, maximum effect takes some time depending upon the severity of condition.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete diabetes control even if symptoms have disappeared.
Storage of Jalra – M
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Jalra – M
- Jalra – M tablets should be administered along with non-pharmacologic therapy (proper dietary modification, weight control and exercise) to achieve best results. In early type 2 diabetes, only non-pharmacologic therapy may well provide ideal results.
- Over a period of time, patients may become less responsive to oral anti diabetic drugs because of deterioration of their diabetic state. Patients should therefore be monitored with regular lab tests like blood glucose levels and HbA1C to determine effective dosage.
Frequently asked questions
Is Jalra – M addictive?
- No habit forming tendency has been reported. However over dependence to these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Jalra – M with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Jalra – M therapy as it can cause lactic acidosis and may lead to sleepiness, malaise, respiratory distress and irregular heartbeat.
- It is best not to drink alcohol when on Jalra – M therapy. Consult your doctor for further recommendations.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Jalra – M when pregnant?
- Jalra – M is not recommended during pregnancy as abnormal blood glucose levels during pregnancy are associated with higher incidence of congenital abnormalities.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Jalra – M when feeding a baby?
- Jalra – M is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus by decreasing blood sugar levels.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Jalra – M?
- Jalra – M intake doesn’t affect your ability to drive. However hypoglycaemia caused due to over dosage or skipping meals and hyperglycaemia due to improper dosage may cause drowsiness, fatigue, impaired concentration, sleepiness etc which may hinder with driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Jalra – M?
- Jalra – M should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency may cause serious Hypoglycaemia (symptoms of which have been mentioned above)
- If suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Jalra – M?
- A single dose of expired Jalra – M may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime and it may cause hyperglycaemia (increased blood glucose levels).
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Jalra – M?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working,
- If you forgot to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take double dose.