Skip to Content
- What is Jatamansi Powder?
- Health Benefits of Jatamansi Powder
- 1. Promotes Hair Growth
- 2. Enhances Memory
- 3. Treats Epilepsy
- 4. Lowers Blood Pressure
- 5. Stress Buster
- 6. Cures Skin Infection
- Uses of Jatamansi Powder
- 1. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-fungal properties
- 2. Anti-depressant properties
- 3. Memory enhancer properties
- 4. Anti-epileptic properties
- 5. Anti-microbial properties
- How to Use Jatamansi Powder
- Jatamansi Powder Dosage
- Side Effects of Jatamansi Powder
- Precautions and Warnings of Jatamansi Powder
- 1. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed before driving?
- 2. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed with alcohol?
- 3. Is Jatamansi Powder addictive?
- 4. Can Jatamansi Powder make you drowsy?
- 5. Can you overdose on Jatamansi Powder?
- Important Questions Asked About Jatamansi Powder
- 1. What is Jatamansi Powder made of?
- 2. What are Jatamansi Powder’s storage requirements?
- 3. How long do I need to use Jatamansi Powder till I see improvement in my condition?
- 4. How many times a day do I need to use Jatamansi Powder?
- 5. Does it have any effect on breast feeding?
- 6. Is it safe for kids?
- 7. Does it have any effect on pregnancy?
- 8. Does Jatamansi Powder contain sugar?
- 9. What are the benefits of Jatamansi Powder?
- 10. How do you take Jatamansi powder?
- 11. Is Jatamansi good for hair?
- 12. What is Jatamansi oil?
- 13. Which is the best Ayurvedic medicine for sleep?
- 14. Is Jatamansi helpful in growing hair thick and long?
- 15. Which is the best brain tonic in Ayurveda?
- 16. What is the nutritional value of Jatamansi Powder?
- 17. Can Jatamansi Powder cure bacterial infection?
- 18. How much of Jatamansi Powder to consume per day?
- Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Jatamansi Powder
- Research on Jatamansi Powder
What is Jatamansi Powder?
Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) Powder is referred to as ‘Spikenard’ in English and ‘Jata’ means dreadlocks and ‘Mansi’ means human. It is an endangered ayurvedic herb which is used in curing neuro-psychiatric and skin diseases. It is a flowering plant with pink flowers and grows in the Himalayas in India, Nepal and China. It is used as a memory enhancer that possesses calming and relaxing features. It is available for use in the form of root, oil and powder.
Health Benefits of Jatamansi Powder
1. Promotes Hair Growth
Jatamansi Powder has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that prevent hair fall, dandruff and any other microbial growth in your hair. This helps promote hair growth and also it makes your hair smoother, shinier and silkier. You can mix Jatamansi Powder in any carrier oil that you can apply to your scalp and leave it overnight for best results. Wash your hair thoroughly with warm water the next morning.
2. Enhances Memory
Jatamansi Powder is used as a memory enhancer because it enhances the faculties of mind and provides a sense of relaxation to your brain. It is used as an ayurvedic medicine to treat various ailments in the nervous system. It is known to cure diseases of the three doshas as described in Ayurveda- Vatta, Pitta and Kapha. You can massage Jatamansi oil in your head or consume its root for best results.
3. Treats Epilepsy
Jatamansi powder is known for its miraculous benefits in curing various ailments of the nervous system. It helps cure stress, spasms, convulsions, hysteria and epilepsy. According to Purushotham K, Department of Pharmacology, Sri Siddharth Medical College, Karnataka, the ethanolic extract of nardostachys Jatamansi roots at the dose of 400 mg/kg have shown significant anticonvulsant activity.
4. Lowers Blood Pressure
Jatamansi powder lowers down blood pressure and helps prevent clotting of blood. It improves blood circulation in your system and removes toxins that can cause cardiovascular diseases. You can add Jatamansi powder in your smoothie or gulp it down with warm water in your breakfast or before going to bed.
5. Stress Buster
Jatamansi powder balances biochemical reactions in the body and hence, it reduces anxiety, stress and tension. It is also a mind rejuvenator tonic for those who are suffering from mental diseases like depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder etc.
6. Cures Skin Infection
It can cure burning sensation on your skin caused due to various skin disorders like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, etc. You can mix Jatamansi powder in cold water and apply on affected areas of your skin.
Uses of Jatamansi Powder
A herbal ingredient that is often used for varied purposes, Jatamansi Ppowder is also used for its:
1. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-fungal properties
Jatamansi powder is said to possess anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties and is often found as an effective cure to any kind of skin infections.
2. Anti-depressant properties
Effective in reducing anxiety and stress inducing hormones, Jatamansi is quite helpful in improving the levels of Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (GABA) in the brain and can act as an anti-depressant.
3. Memory enhancer properties
Helping in improvement of memory by facilitating cholinergic transmission in your brain, Jatamansi powder helps boost memory and learning power.
4. Anti-epileptic properties
Consumption of Jatamansi is said to increase Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (GABA) level in the brain. This further helps in reducing and eventually diminishing the risk of seizures.
5. Anti-microbial properties
Jatamansi is said to possess anti-microbial properties and is an effective remedy to curb the growth of harmful microbes that can cause various skin irritations and other severe health issues.
Also Read - Akarkara Benefits | Baidyanath Ashwagandharishta Benefits
How to Use Jatamansi Powder
6g of Jatamansi powder can be consumed in divided dosages throughout the day. Ideally, it is recommended to consume Jatamansi powder twice a day.
1. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed before or after meals?
Jatamansi Powder should be consumed after meals along with water.
2. Can Jatamansi Powder be taken on an empty stomach?
No, Jatamansi powder should not be taken on an empty stomach.
3. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed with water?
Yes, Jatamansi powder can be consumed with water.
Jatamansi Powder Dosage
A maximum of 6 g of Jatamansi Powder is recommended to be consumed by adults. This dosage can be divided and consumed twice in a day after meals.
|Children||15 mg – 60 mg||Twice a day|
|Adults||1000 mg – 3000 mg||Twice a day|
Also Read - Dabur Ashwagandharishta Uses | Charak Neo Tablet Uses
Side Effects of Jatamansi Powder
Being a 100% natural and ayurvedic ingredient, Jatamansi Powder is safe to be consumed. However, if taken in high dosage, it can lead to nausea, vomiting frequent urination diarrhea abdominal cramps.
Harmful Interaction of Jatamansi Powder
People who suffer from hypersensitivity to chemical constituents of Jatamansi or are allergic to herbal medication should refrain from using this herb. Pregnant and breastfeeding women are recommended not to consume Jatamansi.
Precautions and Warnings of Jatamansi Powder
1. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed before driving?
No, Jatamansi powder should not be consumed before driving as it is known to induce sleep.
2. Can Jatamansi Powder be consumed with alcohol?
No, Jatamansi powder should not be consumed with alcohol as Jatamansi may give rise to dizziness and sleep.
3. Is Jatamansi Powder addictive?
No, Jatamansi powder is not addictive.
4. Can Jatamansi Powder make you drowsy?
Yes, Jatamansi powder is known to induce sleep by calming down the nerves. This may lead to drowsiness.
5. Can you overdose on Jatamansi Powder?
Ideally 6 gm of Jatamasi powder should be consumed by an adult per day in divided dosages. Overdosing on Jatamansi’s dosage may lead to the above-mentioned side effects.
Also Read - Ashwagandharishta Side Effects | Bael Fruit Side Effects
Important Questions Asked About Jatamansi Powder
1. What is Jatamansi Powder made of?
Jatamansi powder is made from the roots of Nardostachys Jatamansi, an Ayurvedic herb used in curing neuro-psychiatric and skin disorders.
2. What are Jatamansi Powder’s storage requirements?
Jatamansi Powder should be stored in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight and moisture.
3. How long do I need to use Jatamansi Powder till I see improvement in my condition?
Jatamansi Powder will show visible results if used regularly for up to 3 – 6 months.
4. How many times a day do I need to use Jatamansi Powder?
Consuming Jatamansi Powder twice a day after meals is recommended.
5. Does it have any effect on breast feeding?
Yes, Jatamansi powder is said to promote menstrual discharge. Thus, it should not be consumed during lactation period.
6. Is it safe for kids?
A dosage of 15 gm – 60 gm a day in divided dosage is considered safe for consumption by kids.
7. Does it have any effect on pregnancy?
Yes, Jatamansi powder can result in spotting or bleeding during pregnancy, thus it is not recommended to be used by pregnant women.
8. Does Jatamansi Powder contain sugar?
No, Jatamansi powder does not contain sugar.
9. What are the benefits of Jatamansi Powder?
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, Jatamansi is also used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Headache, Melancholic Depression, Anxiety and many more ailments like Menopause symptoms.
10. How do you take Jatamansi powder?
Jatamansi powder is recommended to be taken twice a day after meals. One should restrict the daily consumption of this herbal medicine to 6 gm (adult) in divided dosages. It can be taken along with warm water.
11. Is Jatamansi good for hair?
Yes, Jatamansi Powder processed in Sesame oil is said to be helpful in reduction of hair fall and premature graying of hair.
12. What is Jatamansi oil?
Jatamansi oil is sourced from the Ayurvedic herb Nardostachys Jatamansi or Spikenard and is one of the best and most effective essential oils that supports a balanced body and calm mind.
13. Which is the best Ayurvedic medicine for sleep?
The best Ayurvedic medicine for sleep is Jatamansi. Known for its calming and relaxing properties, this herb is also effective in reducing stress levels and acts as a good sedative that induces sleep.
14. Is Jatamansi helpful in growing hair thick and long?
Yes, Jatamasi promotes regeneration of new hair follicles, thus making your hair long and thick.
15. Which is the best brain tonic in Ayurveda?
While there are many brain tonics available in Ayurveda like Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, Vayambu, Kudangal, Amla and Mulethi, Jatamansi is the best brain tonic well known for its stress reducing, calming and relaxing properties.
16. What is the nutritional value of Jatamansi Powder?
It is a combination of various chemicals, like, actinidine, aristolene, carotene, caralene, clalarenol, coumarin, dihydroazulenes, jatamanshinic acid, nardol, nardostachone, valerianol, valeranal, valeranone, elemol, virolin, angelivin, Oroselol etc.
17. Can Jatamansi Powder cure bacterial infection?
Yes, it has very strong anti-bacterial properties. Rubbing it on the affected area can be beneficial for the skin.
18. How much of Jatamansi Powder to consume per day?
Half to one table spoon powder can be consumed with warm water per day twice.
Buyers Guide – Price and Where to Buy Jatamansi Powder
HealthVit Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi) Powder (100 gm)
Best Price: Rs.146
Popular brands that sell Jatamansi Powder
- Herbal Hills
- Vyas Balchhad
Research on Jatamansi Powder
A study titled ‘Comparative clinical study on the effect of Tagara (Valeriana wallichiiDC.) and Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi DC.) in the management of Anidra (primary insomnia)’ from the database of US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health states that Jatamansi has significant effect in offering relief in signs and symptoms of insomnia in patients.