Table of Contents
- 1 Karela (Bitter Gourd) Price
- 2 Benefits of Karela for Hair
- 3 1. Adds Shine
- 4 2. Treats Dandruff
- 5 3. Combats Hair Fall
- 6 4. Treats Dry and Tangled Hair
- 7 5. Arrests Premature Greying
- 8 6. Treatment for Oily Hair
- 9 Benefits of Karela for Skin
- 10 1. Promotes Glowing Skin
- 11 2. Tackles Skin Diseases
- 12 3. Acts as an Anti-aging Agent
- 13 4. Quickens Healing
- 14 Health Benefits of Karela
- 15 1. Tackles Respiratory Problems
- 16 2. Addresses Liver Issues
- 17 3. Builds Immunity
- 18 4. Treats Diabetes
- 19 5. Treats Constipation
- 20 6. Maintains Kidney and Bladder
- 21 7. Good for Heart
- 22 8. Fights Cancer
- 23 9. Entails Weight Loss
- 24 10. Improves Energy Levels
- 25 11. Blood Purifier
- 26 Nutrient Composition of Karela (Bitter Gourd)
- 27 How to Use Karela
- 28 1. For Skin
- 29 2. For Hair
- 30 Karela (Bitter Gourd) Dosage: How Much of it is safe?
- 31 Side Effects & Precautions for Consuming Karela
Karela or Bitter Gourd (Momordica charantia) is a tropical and subtropical creeper belonging to the Cucurbitaceae family. Also known by names such as bitter lemon, bitter quash or balsam-pear, this very bitter vine grows in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean. It is an edible fruit of the vine that is consumed and used for its varied benefits.
Karela (Bitter Gourd) Price
|Specifics||Karela (Bitter Gourd) Price|
|Bitter Gourd (Karela) – 250 g||Rs 10|
Benefits of Karela for Hair
1. Adds Shine
Bitter gourd adds natural shine to your hair. Combine fresh bitter gourd juice and yogurt and apply the mixture to your hair. Rinse with water after sometime. This treatment will give you lustrous locks.
2. Treats Dandruff
Dandruff can be effectively treated with bitter gourd. Apply a hair pack made of bitter gourd juice and cumin seeds. Using this pack on a regular basis can help you in getting rid of stubborn dandruff.
3. Combats Hair Fall
A combination of bitter gourd juice and sugar can help reduce hair fall.
4. Treats Dry and Tangled Hair
Apply a cup of bitter gourd juice to your hair and let it soak for a while. Rinse your hair after 15 minutes to get soft, shiny and untangled hair.
5. Arrests Premature Greying
Applying bitter gourd juice on grey strands of your hair every ten days will reduce premature greying.
6. Treatment for Oily Hair
A concoction of bitter gourd juice and apple cider vinegar can remove surplus oil from your hair.
Benefits of Karela for Skin
1. Promotes Glowing Skin
Karela or bitter gourd is a natural blood purifier. You can get blemish and acne free, glowing skin by regular consumption of bitter gourd juice.
2. Tackles Skin Diseases
Skin infections such as eczema and Psoriasis can be treated effectively by regular consumption of bitter gourd juice. Fungal infections such as athlete’s foot as well as ringworm can be effectively treated with bitter gourd.
3. Acts as an Anti-aging Agent
The vitamin C of bitter gourd acts as an antioxidant and combats free radicals. It prevents wrinkles and fine lines as well as protects the skin from harmful UV radiation of the sun.
4. Quickens Healing
Bitter gourd controls clotting and lets wounds heal quickly, therein averting further infections.
Bitter gourd fights bacterial and viral infections including HIV. A report which appeared in the International Journal of Microbiology states that powdered bitter gourd when mixed with cinnamon, rice, chaulmugra (Hydnocarpus wightianus) and long pepper can be used over ulcers and in curing wounds.
Health Benefits of Karela
1. Tackles Respiratory Problems
Respiratory issues such as asthma, common cold and cough can be effectively tackled by consuming fresh pods of bitter gourd.
2. Addresses Liver Issues
A glass of bitter gourd juice daily for one week can tackle liver problems.
3. Builds Immunity
Consuming water boiled with bitter gourd leaves or fruits regularly can guard against infections and build immunity.
4. Treats Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is caused due to inability of cells to absorb sugar from blood due to low insulin levels. Bitter gourd contains certain chemicals which mimic insulin and help in blood sugar absorption, therein reducing the blood sugar levels.
The Journal of Ethnopharmacology states that more than 100 research studies have been carried out using contemporary techniques which have validated the use of bitter gourd in treating diabetes and its associated complications.
5. Treats Constipation
Karela has a rich fiber content which helps in preventing and treating constipation.
6. Maintains Kidney and Bladder
Bitter gourd supports kidney and bladder functions and also fights kidney stones.
7. Good for Heart
Bitter gourd reduces unhealthy cholesterol which would otherwise clog the arterial walls and lead to heart attacks. It also maintains blood sugar levels which is also helpful in maintaining a healthy heart.
8. Fights Cancer
Karela or bitter gourd can prevent cancer cells from multiplying. The School of Biomedical Sciences at University of Hong Kong have traced 20 active compounds in bitter gourd having anti-tumor properties.
9. Entails Weight Loss
The antioxidants present in bitter gourd can improve metabolism and digestion which can lead to weight loss. The bitter gourd is a vegetable with low calorific value. It is majorly composed of water which suppresses hunger.
10. Improves Energy Levels
If bitter gourd juice is consumed on a regular basis, it can improve energy levels as well as stamina.
11. Blood Purifier
Karela has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that can remove toxins from blood and purify it, treat skin problems such as acne, rashes, psoriasis and as well as enhance blood circulation.
Nutrient Composition of Karela (Bitter Gourd)
Karela or Bitter Gourd is very rich in vitamins, minerals, electrolytes as well as phyto-nutrients.
|Vitamin A||Iron||Dietary fiber|
How to Use Karela
1. For Skin
Bitter gourd serves as a natural blood purifier. It is of vital importance to consume nutrient rich food to avail glowing and healthy skin. You can consume nutrient dense Karela and improve the appearance of your skin.
2. For Hair
Dry and Itchy Scalp Treatment
- Rub a fresh portion of bitter gourd onto the dry scalp and massage the scalp
- Wash the scalp with water
- Combine bitter gourd juice with banana/avocado to prepare a hair pack
- Apply the mixture to your scalp
- Use the pack for at least once a week to get relief from itchy scalp
Karela (Bitter Gourd) Dosage: How Much of it is safe?
You should not consume more than two bitter gourds per day.
Side Effects & Precautions for Consuming Karela
- Pregnant women should be cautious while eating bitter gourd. This vegetable has laxative properties which can lead to labor contractions, vaginal bleeding and miscarriage.
- High consumption of bitter gourd juice can cause nausea and abdominal pain.
- Diabetic patients should consult doctor before consuming bitter gourd. Diabetics taking hypoglycemic drugs need to alter the dosage of the medicine in tandem with the bitter gourd juice consumption.
Where to Buy
Best Brands That Sell Karela Juice
- Good Care Pharma Pvt Ltd
- Apollo Pharmacy
- Basic Ayurveda