Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ketoconazole?
- 2 How does Ketoconazole works?
- 3 Ketoconazole Price in India
- 4 How to take Ketoconazole?
- 5 Common dosage of Ketoconazole
- 6 Precautions- When to avoid Ketoconazole
- 7 Side effects of Ketoconazole
- 8 Reported allergic reactions
- 9 Effect on organs
- 10 Drug interactions to be careful about
- 11 Show effects/Results in
- 12 Storage requirements for Ketoconazole
- 13 Protips-
- 14 FAQ
- 15 Is it addictive?
- 16 Can i have Ketoconazole with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Ketoconazole when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Ketoconazole when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Ketoconazole?
- 21 What happen if I overdose on Ketoconazole?
- 22 What happen if I eat expired Ketoconazole?
- 23 What happen if I miss a dose of Ketoconazole?
What is Ketoconazole?
- Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal medicine which is used to treat a wide variety of fungal infections.
- It is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of fungal infections of-
- Mouth or throat
- Genital tract
- Skin infections such as athlete’s foot and ringworm infections and certain kinds of dandruff.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Ketoconazole in Hindi
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines
How does Ketoconazole works?
- Ketoconazole belongs to azole group of antifungal medicines.
- It works by stopping the growth of various types of fungi.
- It prevents the fungi from producing the membranes that surrounds the fungal cells.
Ketoconazole Price in India
|2 % 30 gm of Tube||Rs 125|
How to take Ketoconazole?
- Ketoconazole is available in the form of tablets, oral suspensions and topical cream.
- Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
- Ketoconazole tablets – Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew the tablet.
- Ketoconazole tablets should be taken with complete meals to avoid stomach upset.
- Ketoconazole should be taken 2 hours before or 1 hour after taking antacids as antacids may hinder the absorption of Ketoconazole.
- If you are taking drugs that can decrease acidity in stomach (such as ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, omeprazole, Rabeprazole), it is advisable to take the drug with a carbonated cola drink or cranberry juice to improve absorption.
- Ketoconazole cream must be applied in a thin layer and evenly to the skin as prescribed by your physician. The initial dose is usually once or twice a day.
- Clean and dry the area on which Ketoconazole cream has to be used. Hands should be properly washed before and after applying Ketoconazole cream.
- The area treated with Ketoconazole cream should not be washed immediately after cream application.
- The use of Ketoconazole should be continued as long as recommended by the doctor.
Common dosage of Ketoconazole
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- Oral suspension is available in the following formulation – 20 mg/mL
- Tablets – 200 mg tablets are available and is usually given once daily.
Also read other medicine's Dosage: Ketorol DT Dosage | LCZ Dosage
Precautions- When to avoid Ketoconazole
Avoid taking Ketoconazole if you have these conditions:-
- Allergy to Ketoconazole, or any other anti-fungal medicines.
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease (heart failure, coronary artery disease , heart valve disease)
- Lung disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Decreased or no stomach acid
- Low levels of potassium or magnesium in blood.
- Always inform your doctor if you have reduced testosterone levels, reduced cortisol levels or Addison’s disease.
Side effects of Ketoconazole
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Gas in stomach
- Fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain
- Nervousness, confusion, depression
- Changes in vision
- Decreased sexual interest.
- adrenal gland problem
- decrease in levels of testosterone
- menstrual period changes
- enlarged breasts in men
- Increased liver enzymes.
- Rarely, hepatitis can occur.
- lowering of white blood cells & platelets
- Ketoconazole cream can cause stinging, swelling, irritation, or redness of the treated skin as a side effect.
Reported allergic reactions
- Ketoconazole is not recommended if you are allergic to any active ingredient or constituents of it.
- Possible allergic reactions reported are-
- Sever skin rash
- Difficult breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat
Effect on organs
- It can affect your liver so consult your doctor if any of these symptoms appear:-
- Unusual fatigue
- yellowing of the eyes and skin,
- dark urine, fever,
- nausea and / or vomiting,
- pale stools,
- and abdominal pain.
Drug interactions to be careful about
- You must inform your doctor about all the drugs, vitamins or herbal supplements you are taking to manage or protect you from drug interactions.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Ketoconazole include:
- H2 blockers such as cimetidine
- Ergot alkaloids such as dihydroergotamine
- Oral Midazolam
- Statin drugs like Atorvastatin
- Drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction
Show effects/Results in
Depends on the condition being treated.
Also Read: Levolin syrup Side Effect | i-Pill Side Effect | lasix Side Effect
Storage requirements for Ketoconazole
- Tablets should be stored at room temperature 15-25 degree Celsius and protected from light and temperature.
- Oral solutions should be stored below 25 C but not frozen.
- Do not stop taking Ketoconazole or change the dose of this drug without consulting your doctor.
- You must immediately inform your doctor if you notice any signs of liver disease.
Other Medicine's: Itraconazole | Intagesic MR | Ibugesic Plus
Is it addictive?
- No habit forming tendencies have been reported with this medicine.
Can i have Ketoconazole with alcohol?
- This drug may make you dizzy and taking alcohol with it can make you dizzier.
- Alcohol may increase the risk of liver problems.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ketoconazole when pregnant?
- It is not advisable to take Ketoconazole when pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Can I have Ketoconazole when feeding a baby?
- Ketoconazole is not recommended for lactating woman as it is known to excrete in the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Ketoconazole?
- This drug may make you dizzy and weak. Changes in vision can also occur as a side – effect.
- Kindly refrain from driving if you suffer from any such side-effects which affects your ability to drive.
What happen if I overdose on Ketoconazole?
- Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happen if I eat expired Ketoconazole?
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happen if I miss a dose of Ketoconazole?
- You must take the missed dose as soon as you remember it.
- But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.