Skip to Content
Khus also known as poppy seeds are an annual herb with the thick waxy stem. The seeds are tiny and hard with a western variety in slate blue colour while Indian one in creamy off-white. Khus is found in a capsule-like fruit which is used widely as an herb and also used while cooking.
The poppy seeds (Khus) are cultivated in India, Russia, the Mediterranean region, Japan, China, Argentina and more. These seeds are rich in calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, carbohydrates, proteins and sodium. Khas has a lot of health benefits, so check them out.
Also Read - Hamdard Roghan Badam Shirin
Benefits of Khus
1. Treats Inflammation
Khus has medicinal properties that help to treat inflammation of nerves and other body parts. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties and it is used for preparing medicines from its natural extracts.
2. Relieves Pain
The analgesic properties present in khus helps to relieve pain and hence is used in making painkillers. Morphine being a constituent of khus, it helps to treat body aches.
3. Improves Heart Functioning
Khus contains iron which helps to increase the flow of oxygen in the blood. If khus are consumed regularly then it helps the heart to function properly.
4. Treats Sleep Disorders
The oils extracted from khus have components that help to soothe and relax your muscles and mind which in turn helps you to take a deep sleep.
5. Improves Immunity
With the presence of zinc in khus, the immunity of the body remains stronger. Zinc helps to build the overall strength of the body which also helps to make the metabolism stronger.
6. Prevents Kidney Stones
Khus has oxalates in them which helps to absorb extra calcium from the blood. While it also prevents deposit and crystallization of calcium in the kidneys.
7. Helps in Digestion
Khas prevents bloating and constipation as it comprises of dietary fibers which makes the entire process of digestion smooth.
8. Improves Nervous System
Being rich in calcium, iodine, magnesium, and copper, khus helps to keep the nervous system healthy.
Also Read - Gotu Kola Benefits | Bael Benefits
Uses of Khus
- Used in preparation of Cosmetics
- It is used to treat skin diseases like eczema
- It can be used as an effective moisturizer
- Helps in treating dandruff
- It is used as an ingredient to make khus syrup and cordial
- The seeds are also used to treat toothaches and earaches
- They can be used for various culinary purposes
Also Read - Babool Uses | Chitrakadi Uses
How To Consume Khus
- You can soak 50 g of khus roots in 2 L of water in a mud pot. Take the roots out after 4-5 hours, after which you can consume the water.
- Consumption of Khus directly can also be effective
Side Effects of Khus
- Excessive consumption may lead to pulmonary edema
- In rare circumstances, consumption of khus in tea has led to deaths
- May affect the growth of the unborn child, so pregnant women must avoid it