Table of Contents
- What is Klacid?
- Uses of Klacid
- Klacid Composition
- How does Klacid work?
- How to Take Klacid?
- Klacid Price in India
- Common Dosage for Klacid?
- When to Avoid Klacid and precautions to take?
- Side-effects of Klacid?
- Effects on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage instructions
- Pro Tips When Taking Klacid
- Frequently asked questions
- Is Klacid Addictive?
- Can I have Klacid with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Klacid When Pregnant?
- Can I have Klacid when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Klacid?
- What happens if I overdose on Klacid?
- What happens if I eat expired Klacid?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Klacid?
- Similar Reads
What is Klacid?
Klacid is an antibiotic which belongs to macrolide group of antibiotics.
Klacid contains clarithromycin as its chief ingredient.
Buy & save from: Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Uses of Klacid
- Klacid is generally used in a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria, such as infection in
- infections of ear, nose, and throat,
- respiratory tract and lungs (pneumonia)
- bacterial infection associated with HIV infection
- Klacid is also used to treat peptic ulcers
Read more: Levofloxacin Uses
Know more: Fybogel Composition
How does Klacid work?
Klacid belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotics which interferes with the synthesis of essential proteins in bacteria, causing complete cessation of bacterial growth.
How to Take Klacid?
- Klacid usually comes in the form of a tablets & suspensions (which has to taken by mouth and injectable forms). Every possible formulation might not be listed here.
- Klacid tablets / suspensions are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, with or without food. For best results, Klacid must be taken at evenly spaced times.
- Shake the suspension liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
- The injectable form of Klacid is injected by a trained healthcare professional.
- The usage of Klacid must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
- It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Klacid Price in India
|Specification||Klacid Price in India|
|Klacid 500mg Injection||Rs. 876|
Also check out: Erythromycin Price
Common Dosage for Klacid?
The drug dosage and form are decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- tablets / suspensions
- Respiratory tract infections and skin infections – the usual adult dose is one 250 mg tablet two times daily.
- For more severe infections, the dose can be increased to one 500 mg tablet two times daily.
- The injectable form is injected directly in the vein by a healthcare professional.
Read more: Lopamide Dosage
When to Avoid Klacid and precautions to take?
- Klacid doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, common cold)). Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
- Do not take Klacid if you are allergic to clarithromycin, other antibiotics from the macrolide family, including erythromycin, roxithromycin or azithromycin.
- Do not take Klacid if you are suffering from severe liver or kidney diseases.
- Do not take Klacid if you are suffering from irregular heartbeat or long QT syndrome (or QT prolongation).
- Avoid Klacid if you have low blood magnesium, potassium or other electrolyte levels.
- Do not take Klacid if you are suffering from myasthenia gravis.
- Do not take Klacid if you have an intolerance to sugars.
Read more: Hydroxyethyl Starch Precaution | Motilium Precaution
Side-effects of Klacid?
Side effects to Klacid may include –
- cramps and pain in abdomen
- nausea, vomiting and severe diarrhea
- fungal infection in the mouth (oral thrush)
- vaginal itching or discharge
- altered taste
- weakness in muscles
- eye infections
- yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- loss of appetite
- hearing disturbances
- pain in chest
- confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, convulsions
- irregular heart beat
- rashes, itching and red bumps on skin
Read more: Dacarbazine Side Effects
Effects on organs?
Effects on liver have been reported. Symptoms of liver damage include –
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin)
- Pain in the stomach
- Severe tiredness
- Dark urine
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
Kidney complications have also been reported. Symptoms include –
- Metallic taste
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Changes in urine
- Itching / rashes on skin
- Dizziness, shortness of breath
- Pain in legs
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Possible allergic reactions reported are rashes, difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling, hoarseness, and
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use especially –
- Medicines containing clarithromycin
- Erythromycin, roxithromycin, azithromycin
- Ranitidine bismuth citrate
- Astemizole or terfenadine
- Ergotamine or dihydroergotamine
- Lovastatin or simvastatin
- Antacids that contain magnesium or aluminum generally are known to markedly reduce the absorption of Klacid in the body. Therefore, it must be taken minimum 2 hours before / after taking Klacid.
- You must not take any immunizations or vaccinations while using Klacid unless your doctor tells you to.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
- It is very unlikely for Klacid to affect hormonal birth controlsuch as pills, rings or patches.
Shows Effects / Results In:
You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Klacid.
A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear).
Keep Klacid tablets and powder for suspensions in a cool dry place, protected from light, where the temperature stays below 25-30 degrees Celsius.
Pro Tips When Taking Klacid
- Always inform your doctor if you are allergic to Klacid, clarithromycin, dirithromycin, erythromycin or any other ingredients in Klacid tablets or suspension.
- Always inform your doctor if you have ever had jaundice or any other liver problems while taking Klacid or if there is a history of liver/kidney disease
- Always inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of irregular heartbeat, heart failure, fainting, or sudden death or a blood infection; cystic fibrosis; myasthenia gravis, kidney or liver disease.
- If vomiting happens within an hour after taking Klacid, call your doctor right away.
Frequently asked questions
Is Klacid Addictive?
Can I have Klacid with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Klacid When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Since there are no well-controlled studies done on effects of Klacid in pregnant women, Klacid should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Can I have Klacid when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- There is evidence that Klacid might be excreted in human breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Klacid?
Klacid can cause confusion, hallucinations, severe abdominal pain and cramps as side-effects. Make sure you are not affected before you drive.
What happens if I overdose on Klacid?
An overdose of Klacid might cause irregular heart rhythm or liver damage. If you have taken an over-dose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Klacid?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Klacid?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.