What is Klonopin?
Klonopin (clonazepam) is a benzodiazepine. Klonopin is an intermediate-duration benzodiazepine used for the management of anxiety disorders. It is also used to treat seizures.
Manufactured By – Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Lonopin 40Mg /0.4Ml Injection||Enoxaparin 40 MG|
|Lonopin 20Mg/0.2Mg Injection||Enoxaparin 20 MG|
|Lonopin 60Mg 0.6Ml Injection||Enoxaparin 60 MG|
|Lonopin Pen 300Mg 3Ml Injection||Enoxaparin 300 MG /ML|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines
Uses of Klonopin
Klonopin (Clonazepam) is effective in the treatment of:
- generalized anxiety disorder
- panic disorder
- situational anxiety
- myoclonic seizures in children
- Clonazepam in non-sedative doses does cause muscle relaxation.
How does Klonopin work?
Clonazepam works by increasing the effects of GABA, a neurotransmitter that moderates the movement of nerve signals in the brain.
How to take Klonopin?
- Take Klonopin by mouth, usually 2 or 3 times daily.
- Swallow the tablet whole, with a full glass of water.
- The dose-dependent side effects are reduced if two or three divided doses are given each day.
- Clonazepam intranasal spray is designated as an orphan drug for recurrent acute repetitive seizures.
Common Dosage for Klonopin
- The initial dose of clonazepam for adults should not exceed 1.5 mg per day and for children 0.01-0.03 mg/kg per day.
- The dose may be increased every 3 days in amounts of 0.25-0.5 mg per day in children and 0.5-1 mg per day in adults.
- The maximal recommended dose is 20 mg per day for adults and 0.2 mg/kg per day for children.
Also Read: Lithium Dosage | Losartan Dosage
When to avoid Klonopin (Clonazepam)?
- Taking medications like codeine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, fentanyl, meperidine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, and tramadol with Klonopin increases the risk of breathing problems or coma.
- Using Klonopin together with diphenhydramine (Benadryl), citalopram, lamotrigine, sertraline may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating.
- In patients taking bupropion, excessive use of Klonopin or abrupt discontinuation following long-term use may occasionally trigger seizures.
Precautions while taking Klonopin
- Klonopin is not approved to treat panic disorder in anyone younger than 18 years old.
- Klonopin is potentially addictive and may cause emotional or physical dependence.
- Klonopin, like all other benzodiazepines, accentuates the effects of other drugs that slow the brain’s processes, such as alcohol, barbiturates, and narcotics and leads to increased sedation.
- Klonopin (Clonazepam) may contribute to respiratory depression in patients with advanced ALS.
- You should not use Klonopin if you have narrow-angle glaucoma or severe liver disease, or if you are allergic to Valium or a similar medicine.
- Some people have thoughts about suicide when taking Klonopin.
- Do not stop using Klonopin suddenly or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, including a seizure.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Klonopin because this may make side effects such as respiratory depression and sedation worse.
Side Effects of Klonopin (Clonazepam)
The principal side effects of long-term oral therapy with clonazepam are drowsiness and lethargy. Other side effects are:
- Muscular incoordination
- feeling tired or depressed
- memory problems
- Cardiovascular and respiratory depression may occur after the intravenous administration of clonazepam.
Also Read: Humira Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Nervous system reactions- Drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, abnormal coordination, dysarthria, and intellectual ability reduced, memory disturbance, nystagmus.
- Respiratory reactions- Upper respiratory tract infection, Bronchitis, coughing, pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinusitis.
- Genitourinary reactions- Colitis, dysmenorrhea, ejaculation delayed, impotence, micturition frequency, urinary tract infection.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Abdominal pain, constipation.
- Eye reactions- Blurred vision.
- Psychiatric reactions- Behavior problems, confusion state, decreased libido, depression, emotional lability, nervousness.
Storage Requirements for Klonopin
- Keep Klonopin (Clonazepam) in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips for taking Klonopin
- Klonopin is available as a generic under the name of clonazepam.
- Accidental falls are common in elderly patients who take benzodiazepines. Be cautious so as to avoid falling or accidental injury while you are taking clonazepam.
Is Klonopin (Clonazepam) addictive?
Can I have Klonopin with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid taking grapefruit juice.
Can I have Klonopin (Clonazepam) when pregnant?
Can I have Klonopin while feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Klonopin?
What happens if I overdose on Klonopin (Clonazepam)?
Overdosing on Klonopin may cause extreme drowsiness, confusion, muscle weakness, fainting, or coma.
What happens if I eat expired Klonopin?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Klonopin (Clonazepam)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.