What is Lactihep Syrup?
Used mainly to prevent or treat allergic conditions like constipation, indigestion and hepatic encephalopathy. Facial edema and abdominal distension are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of Intestinal blockage and pregnant or lactating women.
Lactihep Composition: Lactitol Monohydrate 66.67 mg.
Manufactured By: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Price: Rs 222.00 for 200ml bottle.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: laxative
Uses of Lactihep Syrup
Lactihep serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Constipation: Used in cases of constipation as the drug is laxative in nature and therefore, helps in easier and smooth passage of stools.
- Tinea: Used in mild cases of Tinea (fungal infection), also known as athlete’s foot and jock itch.
- Hepatic encephalopathy: Used in cases of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Ingestion: Used to treat and manage cases of indigestion and it also provides relief in heartburn and neutralizes the gastric acid.
- Rectal/Anal pain: Used to provide relief from pain of rectus or anus in cases of constipation.
How does Lactihep Syrup work?
- Lactihep contains Lactitol monohydrate as its main active ingredient.
- Lactihep syrup acts by exhibiting its laxative property as it helps in water retention in the stool to make smooth and easy stool passage.
- Lactihep Syrup also works on the intestinal muscles to aid smooth bowel movement and removal of waste from the body in the form of faeces.
- It also helps in providing relief from indigestion and heartburn.
How to take Lactihep Syrup?
- Lactihep is available in the form of Liquid or syrup, usually taken orally with a glass of water, with or after food or as advised by the doctor.
- The drug should preferably be consumed at night so that it gets adequate time to work on intestinal muscles leading to easy stool passage the next morning.
- A measuring cup should always be used to consume the prescribed amount of dose and always shake the bottle well before consumption.
- Evenly spaced time intervals between two doses should be maintained.
- Consume plenty of fluids to aid easy stool passage.
- The dose should not be altered in any form without the proper guidance of the doctor.
- It is advisable to go through the leaflet inside the drug package for better understanding about the Do’s and don’ts of the drug.
Common Dosage for Lactihep Syrup
- Lactihep dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Usually recommended dose for an adult is 2 tablespoon 8-15ml during night but it may vary depending on the case.
- Usually recommended dose for children is 1 tablespoon 5-10ml during night but it may vary depending on the case.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Lactihep?
Overdose of Lactihep can cause serious undesirable effects like slow heartbeat, dizziness, muscle weakness. Always adhere to the prescribed dose only and in case of overdose, immediately inform the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Lactihep?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Lactihep?
Expired Lactihep Syrup might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Lactihep Syrup and till when does the effect of Lactihep syrup stays?
- The effect of Lactihep can be seen within a few hours of starting the therapy.
- Time is taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
- Complete prescribe dose should be taken.
When to Avoid Lactihep?
Do not Consume Lactihep if:
- Allergy: In cases of patients with known allergy to any of its constituents.
- Diarrhoea: In cases of patients with diarrhoea, as Lactihep can further worsen the condition by causing more water loss through stools.
- Blockage: In cases of patients suffering from intestinal blockage as it can worsen the situation.
- Appendicitis: In cases of patients with inflammation of appendix (appendicitis)
Precautions While Taking Lactihep
- Allergy: In case of any allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Dose alteration: Don’t alter/Change the schedule of the dose as per your own convenience.
- Pregnant women: Do not administer the drug to pregnant women unless necessary. Take extra caution while using the drug in pregnant women.
- Lactating mothers: do not use the drug in lactating women unless stated by the doctor.
Warnings When Taking Lactihep
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose.
- Do not use the drug for longer periods or for routine use to avoid habit formation and undesirable effects.
Side-Effects of Lactihep
The side effects associated with Lactihep are:
- Nausea (Common)
- Vomiting, (less common)
- Stomach pain, (less common)
- Gas in the stomach, (Common)
- Appetite loss (Common)
- Cardiac arrhythmias (rare)
- Dehydration (Common)
- Tiredness, (Common)
- Fatigue, (less common)
- Headache. (less common)
- Facial oedema (less common)
- Abdominal distension (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Lactihep?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips (rare)
- Rashes (common)
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Lactihep on organs?
Lactihep does not have undesirable effect on any organ as such but it should be used with caution in chronically ill patients or dehydrated patients.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Lactihep. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Lactihep. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Lactihep syrup
No food item is to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Lactihep syrup
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antibiotics (moderate)
- Ketoconazole (moderate)
- Prednisolone (moderate)
- Furosemide (moderate)
- Digoxin (moderate)
- Tetracycline (moderate)
3. Effects of Lactihep syrup on Lab Tests
Lactihep doesn’t affect any lab tests as such.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Intestinal blockage and allergy to the drug.
Q. Can I have Lactihep with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Lactihep can cause undesirable effects like drowsiness. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Lactihep.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Lactihep when pregnant?
No, it should be avoided in pregnancy unless stated otherwise by the doctor. Always inform the doctor before taking Lactihep in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive for case-specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Lactihep when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should use it only when necessary and the drug should be used with caution under the doctor’s guidance.
Q. Can I drive after taking Lactihep?
Yes, Lactihep does not affect the ability to drive. Although, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided in such cases after 24 hours of taking the drug.
Buyer’s Guide – Lactihep Composition, Variant and Price
|Lactihep Variants||Lactihep Composition||Lactihep Price|
|Lactihep 450ml Syrup||Lactitol monohydrate 10gm + Benzoic acid 0.023gm||Rs. 464.00 for 1 pack|
|Lactihep Plus 250ml Oral Emulsion||Liquid Parrafin 1.25ml + Magnesium hydroxide 3.75ml + Sodium Picosulphate 3.33mg/5ml||Rs. 211.00 for 1 pack|
Substitutes of Lactihep
The following are alternative drugs for Lactihep:
- Torrelax 200ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 178.43
- Eva Q 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Medley Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 81
- Nulax Plus 100ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Newgen Pharma.
- Cremaffin Plus 225ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Abbott.
- Price – Rs. 138.69
Storage requirements for Lactihep
- Store the Lactihep at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at temperature below 25OC
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
- Avoid freezing the medicine
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Lactihep
Q. What is Lactihep?
Ans. Lactihep is a laxative drug that is used to treat constipation, indigestion etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Lactihep to show results?
Ans. The effect of Lactihep can be seen within few hours of administration of drug. Although, time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every patient.
Q. Should Lactihep be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Lactihep can be taken empty stomach but avoid taking it empty stomach in case of gastric problems.
Q. Does Lactihep make you drowsy?
Ans. No, Lactihep does not cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Lactihep doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Lactihep should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Lactihep.
Q. Does Lactihep effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Lactihep safe for children?
Ans. Lactihep should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Lactihep?
Ans. Any Pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Lactihep.
Q. Is Lactihep legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Also check: Medlife Coupons For Existing Users