Table of Contents
- List Of Six Most Amazing Lakes In Nainital
- Complete Guide To The Best Lakes In Nainital
- 1. Naini Lake – Beautiful Lake in Nainital
- 2. Bhimtal Lake – Popular Lake in Nainital
- 3. Sattal Lake – Picturesque Lake in Nainital
- 4. Naukuchiatal Lake – Alluring Lake in Nainital
- 5. Khurpatal Lake – Famous Lake in Nainital
- 6. Sariyatal Lake – Serene Lake in Nainital
Travelling is an enriching experience. It provides us with contentment, peace of mind and blissfulness. It heals our body, mind and soul and rejuvenates us. And, when it is a place endowed with immense natural scenery then the experience is unparalleled. Nainital is one such destination that you must travel to.
It is a popular hill station in the state of Uttarakhand and headquarters of Nainital district in the Kumaon foothills of the outer Himalayas. Situated at an altitude of approximately 2,084 metres (6,837 ft) above sea level, this hill station is known for its resplendent natural scenery and mesmerizing lakes.
Why Go There? Nature Escapes | Boating | Picnic and Ropeway Rides | Nature Photography | Trekking
Ideal For: Solo trips | Trips with Friends and Family | Natural Rejuvenation
Trivia: During the British rule in India, Nainital was the summer capital of the United Province. The Raj Bhawan of Uttarakhand which is situated in Nainital was built for the governor of the United Province.
Things To Bring Back: Pine tree craftwork, woolen items, bamboo crafts, and fabrics.
List Of Six Most Amazing Lakes In Nainital
|Lakes In Nainital||Region|
|Bhimtal Lake||Bhimtal town (22 km from Nainital)|
|Khurpatal Lake||Khurpatal town (10 km from Nainital)|
|Sattal Lake||Bhimtal town (22 km from Nainital)|
|Sariyatal Lake||Near Nainital (5 km from Nainital and 2 km from Khurpatal)|
Complete Guide To The Best Lakes In Nainital
1. Naini Lake – Beautiful Lake in Nainital
Nainital is named after the Naini lake which lies in the heart of this hill station. This is a beautiful freshwater lake surrounded by seven majestic mountains. It is the most popular tourist attraction in Nainital. You can go row boating or paddle boating in this lake while letting nature please all your senses.
Distance From The City Center: Just 20 metres from Mall road. Naini lake itself is the center of Nainital.
Things To Do At Naini Lake:
- Go for a boat ride and explore the grand vistas of the Kumaon Hills surrounding the lake.
- Drink a hot cup of chai at the local market.
- Observe Cheena peak and tiffin top from here.
2. Bhimtal Lake – Popular Lake in Nainital
Bhimtal Lake is the largest lake in the Kumaon region named after Bhima (one of the Pandavas from the epic Mahabharata). It has a little island where you can reach by boat and spend some time in peace. It also has an aquarium with a variety of fish from China, Mexico and South Africa. It is 11 kilometres from Bhowali and tourists make it a point to visit this serene lake and its island.
Distance From The City Center: 22 Km
Things To Do At Bhimtal Lake:
- Visit fish aquarium
3. Sattal Lake – Picturesque Lake in Nainital
Sattal lake is another amazing spot near Nainital which is popular among tourists. It is an interlinked group of seven freshwater lakes near Bhimtal. Each lake has a different tone of blue and green. Set amidst the forests of pine and oak trees, it provides tranquil natural scenes and pristine exquisiteness to the tourists. People often go to Sattal lake for picnics and relaxation.
Distance From The City Center: 45 Km
Things To Do At Sattal Lake:
- Visit ‘Subhash Dhara’, a freshwater natural spring that lies bundled in the dense forest of oaks
- Picnic and sightseeing
- Visit the butterfly museum
- Exotic birdwatching
4. Naukuchiatal Lake – Alluring Lake in Nainital
Naukuchiatal is a lake which has nine corners. It is 1,220 metres above sea level in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand state. With the length of 1 Km and depth of 40 metres, this lake is the deepest in Nainital. The place has lore attached to it. The lore says that whoever looks at the nine corners of this lake while keeping both feet on the ground opens door to ‘Nirvana’ for himself. The place is also a famous paragliding spot of Nainital.
Distance From The City Center: 26 Km
Things To Do At Naukuchiatal Lake:
- Pedal boating
- Visit Mukteshwar Temple and Hanuman Temple
5. Khurpatal Lake – Famous Lake in Nainital
Khurpatal lake is another inland water body in Nainital which is the source for several natural springs that provide fresh groundwater for consumption. It is also a natural habitat for a vast variety of fish. Therefore, it serves as a center for ‘angling’, the traditional method of fishing. Emerald in color, the surrounding of this lake is nothing less than a natural treasure hidden in an isolated hamlet.
Distance From The City Center: 11 Km
Things To Do At Khurpatal Lake:
- Angling fishing
- Relaxation and Birdwatching
- Visit Tarkeshvar Mahadev temple
6. Sariyatal Lake – Serene Lake in Nainital
Sariyatal is a beautiful lake near Nainital which you must visit if you are seeking solitude. The Himalayan Botanical Garden at Sariyatal has a butterfly Park, herbarium, library and a fern house with other facilities. It is a center of study for the scientists and the botanists.
Distance from the city center: 9.7 kilometres
Things to do at Sariyatal Lake:
- Visit the Himalayan Botanical Garden and library
- Try nature photography skills
- Relax and spend time in solitude