What is Lanoxin?
Lanoxin is the brand name for Digoxin. It belongs to the cardiac glycosides medication class. Lanoxin is used to treat various heart diseases such as atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and heart failure.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Promo Code | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Lanoxin
- Lanoxin is used to make stronger and regular rhythmic heartbeat.
- In the case of heart failure, it is used to help pump blood.
- Lanoxin helps to control fast heartbeat which occurs due to the atrial fibrillation.
- It is used to have an effect on myocardial tissues by controlling ventricular response rate.
Also Read: Lecope Uses | Looz Uses
How Does Lanoxin Work?
Lanoxin works on the cardiac muscles directly. It slows down the rate of increased heartbeat. It increases the force of heart muscle contraction for every heartbeat which in turn pumps the blood efficiently around the body.
How to Take Lanoxin?
- Take Lanoxin with glass full of water.
- Measure the liquid form of Lanoxin correctly before taking it.
- It is also available in injection form.
- Lanoxin should be taken at a regular time on a daily basis.
Lanoxin Price In India
|0.25 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 12.51|
|0.25 mg Vial of 2 Injections||Rs 12.88|
|Bottle of 30 Syrups||Rs 20.52|
Common Dosage for Lanoxin
- The dosage may differ for different conditions.
- Heart failure: Liquid form for adults-10 to 15 mcg/kg and for children it is about 30 to 45mcg/kg.
- In tablet form for adults -0.125 to 0.5mcg/kg and for children, it should be recommended by the doctor.
Also Read: Glycopyrrolate Dosage | Grenil Dosage | Gudcef Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Lanoxin?
- Don’t take foods such as green leafy vegetables
- Don’t take Lanoxin along with other diabetic medications
- Avoid the drug if you feel nausea and vomiting.
Side-Effects of Lanoxin
Some common side effects of Lanoxin are:
- Mood change
- Loss of appetite
- Vision problems like blurred vision
Are There Any Allergic Reactions Reported?
Allergies like rashes or irritation have been reported for Lanoxin.
Effects of Lanoxin on Organs
High dosage of Lanoxin may affect kidney, by increasing renal blood flow and increased rate of glomerular filtration. A mild diuretic effect also reported.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Serious adverse effects will be displayed when Lanoxin interacts with quinidine, cyclosporine, and chloroquine. It causes moderate side effects with aminoglycosides and tetracycline.
Effects/Results after Consuming Lanoxin
Lanoxin will show its effect within a few days but it will take months to see the results completely.
Storage Requirements about Lanoxin
Lanoxin can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Also, ensure that this medicine is not freezed.
Pro Tips When Taking Lanoxin
- Lanoxin should not be taken more or less than the prescribed dosage.
- It may be taken with or without food.
- Record your heart beat and blood pressure daily.
FAQs – Things to Know About Lanoxin
Is Lanoxin addictive?
There are some reports where people were reported to have Lanoxin addiction by FDA.
Can I have Lanoxin with alcohol?
No. Having Lanoxin with alcohol will cause confusion and lack of balance.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grape juice, Green leafy vegetables, tyramine containing food substances
Can I have Lanoxin when pregnant?
Although there is no recorded evidence to prove the birth risk while taking Lanoxin, you should only take the drug if it is prescribed. Take advice from your doctor.
Can I have Lanoxin when feeding a baby?
It is reported that Lanoxin can pass through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Lanoxin?
Some people may experience fainting, dizziness or blurred vision. So it is always safe to avoid driving after taking Lanoxin.
What happens if I overdose on Lanoxin?
It would cause arrhythmias, a heart failure condition which can even cause death.
What happens if I eat expired Lanoxin?
An expired Lanoxin might not show adverse reactions. However, in some cases, it may cause some dangerous effects on the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Lanoxin?
If you miss a dose of Lanoxin take it as soon as you remember it within 12 hours. If you don’t, just go back to your regular dosage.
When was Lanoxin made?
Lanoxin was first isolated in 1930′ from Digitalis lanata.