Lemon is one home remedy which solves numerous problems. They improve skin quality, support weight loss and a lot more. But did you know, lemons may provide a one-stop solution to fight your common cold and flu? Since they are loaded with vitamin C, they strengthen the body’s natural defenses. It helps tone down the flu and reduces phlegm. Although the scientific proof for this is limited, generations have witnessed lemon to be effective in fighting against cold.
Also Read - Lemon For Diabetes
Here are some other benefits of lemon with water
1. Supports Heart Health
Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C. According to a paper written by the Harvard School of Public Health, titled The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease, fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C keeps the heart healthy.
2. Helps control weight
Lemon is known to have soluble pectin fiber, which expands in the stomach and makes you feel full. A study conducted by the Division of Nutrition & Health, School and Graduate School of Life Studies, Sugiyama Jogakuen University, suggests that the plant compounds in lemon helps lose weight.
3. Prevents Anaemia
According to a paper titled The effects of fruit juices and fruits on the absorption of iron from a rice meal, published in 1987, lemon helps preventing anaemia by aiding the absorption of iron from plant foods.
4. Reduces the risk of cancer
Observational studies like the ones conducted by the Department of Preventive Medicine, Cheju National University College of Medicine, Jejudo, Korea, have suggested that people who eat more citrus fruits tend to have a lower risk of cancer.
5. Improves digestion
Lemons contain soluble fiber and simple sugars. According to the Division of Nutritional Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, USA, soluble fibers improve digestive health and slows the digestion process of starch and sugars.
Ways to use lemon
- Boil half a lemon and onion with water. After 15 minutes, remove the pulp and drink it throughout the day at regular intervals. It may taste bad but it helps reduce mucus.
- Boil a sliced up lemon in water for about 8 mins. Strain off the pulp and add 1 tbsp of glycerine. Add 1 tbsp of honey after 10 mins. Take a spoonful twice a day to treat a sore throat.
- Add 2 tsp. lemon juice and any tea bag in a shot of rum or scotch. Fill the glass with boiling water and allow it become cool enough to drink. Drink a glass at bedtime to help you fall asleep. (Do not serve this to children)
- A clove of garlic may be added to increase the antioxidant content of every drink.
Make your favourite teas with a few drops of lemon to enjoy a brilliant taste and its health benefits.