Table of Contents
- 1 Benefits of Lemon for Weight Loss
- 2 Increases Metabolic Rate Aiding in Weight Loss
- 3 Vitamin C has Potent Weight-Loss Properties
- 4 Presence of Polyphenols effects Weight Loss
- 5 Flavonoids in Lemon lowers Cholesterol
- 6 Lemon’s Acidic Content Reduces Sugar Absorption
- 7 Pectin in Lemon Peels Effect Weight Loss
- 8 Reduces Hunger Pangs
- 9 Ways To Drink Lemon Water
- 10 Expert Tips
Drinking a glass of hot water with lemon squeezed into it first thing in the morning is probably the most popular way to lose weight naturally. There are many folks out there who literally swear by this early morning ritual. However, have you ever pondered why drinking this concoction would help in weight loss? Is lemon water really effective in losing weight? Read on to find out more about this.
Also Read - Acid in Lemons
Benefits of Lemon for Weight Loss
Increases Metabolic Rate Aiding in Weight Loss
Lemon water majorly comprises of water. Your body needs this water for the many processes and functions it carries out. It is believed that drinking about 400 ml of water immediately after waking up significantly revs up your metabolism.
Vitamin C has Potent Weight-Loss Properties
Lemon is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. Vitamin C is believed to have weight loss properties. According to an article published in ‘Journal of American College of Nutrition’ in 2005, vitamin C is inversely proportional to weight loss. The article states that consuming adequate amounts of vitamin C sets off a chain of chemical reactions in the body that breaks down fat in the body for energy use.
Presence of Polyphenols effects Weight Loss
According to ‘Journal of Biochemical Nutrition’ November 2008 issue, polyphenols (plant molecules having antioxidant properties) found in lemons suppressed weight gain, insulin resistance, high blood glucose levels, high amounts of fat in blood as well as fat accumulation.
Flavonoids in Lemon lowers Cholesterol
According to ‘Journal of Biochemical Nutrition’ November 2008 issue, lemons contain flavonoids that have several weight loss benefits. These ingredients reduce the production of cholesterol and triglycerides in liver therein aiding weight loss and preventing and controlling obesity.
Lemon’s Acidic Content Reduces Sugar Absorption
Lemon’s acidic content reduces the amount of sugar absorbed from the food we consume. Hence less sugar will be converted into fat.
Pectin in Lemon Peels Effect Weight Loss
The pectin contained in lemon peels when consumed is converted into a gel-forming material in the gut that further reduces sugar absorption from the consumed food.
Reduces Hunger Pangs
The pectin fiber contained in lemon has the efficacy of reducing hunger pangs. Drink lemon water as it will not only suppress hunger but contains a good amount of vitamin C.
Also Read - Lemon for Hair Growth
Ways To Drink Lemon Water
Lemon is more effective in weight loss when consumed in hot water. Consume this healthy concoction first thing in the morning.
- Squeeze half a lemon in 2 cups of hot or warm water having 5.5 calorie value.
- Alternatively, you can add the cut and peeled lemon to water and muddle it.
- Remove the large pieces for a naturally refreshing drink that is inclusive of the pulp.
- Lemon water can be used as a replacement beverage for high-calorie drinks. Beverages like soda, whole milk, coffee drinks can add excess calories. Instead, drink water flavoured with lemon. In fact, four cans of 12 oz cola when substituted with lemon water, can save you an average of 544 calories per day as per Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Inclusion of Olive oil and lemon water to the diet is more effective in losing extra pounds at a higher rate than with only diet and exercise.
- Though lemon water can help you lose weight, it cannot replace a proper calorie-controlled diet and exercise regimen. The only way to lose extra weight is to make a concerted effort to eat healthy and be more active.