Table of Contents
- What is Letoval?
- Uses of Letoval
- How does Letoval work?
- How to take Letoval
- Common Dosage of Letoval
- When to avoid Letoval
- Drug interactions to be careful about when taking Letoval
- Precautions when taking Letoval
- Side Effects of Letoval
- Letoval: Effect on organs
- Storage of Letoval
- Pro Tips when consuming Letoval
- Is Letoval addictive?
- Can I have Letoval with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided with Levotal?
- Can I have Letoval when pregnant?
- Can I have Letoval when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Letoval?
- What happens if I overdose on Letoval?
- What happens if I eat expired Letoval?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Letoval?
Letoval Composition – Letrozole (2.5mg)
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 193.51
Quantity – 5 tablets in 1 strip
What is Letoval?
- Letoval is an anticancer agent which is used in the treatment of breast cancer.
- The active ingredient of Letoval is “Letrozole” which is an aromatase inhibitor, prescribed for breast cancer either alone or in combination with other medications.
- It also works as an effective remedy against infertility in women as it causes super-ovulation by fostering an egg to develop in women who are failing to ovulate on their own.
NOTE: Use of Letoval for inducing ovulation in infertile women has been banned in India since Oct. 2011
Manufactured By –Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Uses of Letoval
It is prescribed for:
- Breast cancer (in postmenopausal women).
How does Letoval work?
- Growth of few cancers of breast is stimulated or maintained by estrogen hormone.
- Letoval reversibly inhibits aromatase enzyme which is responsible for estrogen productionall over the body, including that within the breast cancer cells, resulting in nearly total estrogen deprivation thereby inhibiting cancer cells.
How to take Letoval
- It is administered orally in the form of 2.5mg tablet.
- The tablet can be taken with or without meal but at the same time everyday.
- The tablet has to be swallowed as whole without crushing or breaking it.
Common Dosage of Letoval
- The recommended dose is one 2.5mg tablet per day, administered orally.
When to avoid Letoval
- Avoid taking Letoval if you are allergic to it or to any other component present in it.
- Do not take Letoval if you are pregnant or lactating or may become pregnant.
- Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you have any kidney or liver problem.
Drug interactions to be careful about when taking Letoval
- Letoval may decrease the effect of clopidogrel and increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Oxcarbazepine may decrease the effect of Letoval if taken together.
- Estrogen-containing preparations like Ethinyl Estradiol may decrease the effect of Letoval if taken together.
- Tamoxifen when administered together with Letoval may result in 38% decrease in Letoval levels in plasma.
Precautions when taking Letoval
- It may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car until knowing its effect.
- Letoval is not to be used in premenopausal women who are planning to become pregnant or in pregnant women.
- This medicine may decrease your bone mineral density and accelerates bone loss, predisposes to fractures, and shows arthritic symptoms.
- Monitoring of cholesterol levels is necessary as raised cholesterol levels are usually seen in patients taking Letoval.
Side Effects of Letoval
- Night sweats
- Vaginal bleeding
- Breast pain
- Bone fracture
- Chest pain
- Increased sweating
- Back pain
- Hot flashes
- Anxiety and nervousness
Increased thirstReported allergic reactions
Signs of allergic reactions:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat;
Letoval: Effect on organs
- Cardiovascular reactions- Hypertension, chest pain, coronary heart disease, paralysis, strokes, heart attack, fluid accumulation in the lungs, vein inflammation, mini stroke and blood clot in veins.
- Central Nervous System reactions- Weakness, headache, dizziness, fatigue, sleeplessness, drowsiness, anxiety and depression.
- Dermatological reactions- Hot flushes, increased sweating, night sweats, rash, hair loss and itching.
- Eye reactions- Blurred vision.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and loss of appetite.
- Genitourinaryreactions- Breast pain, urinary tract infection, kidney disorder, vaginal bleeding and vaginal dryness.
- Metabolic reactions- High level of cholesterol in blood, increased weight and high calcium in blood.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Joint pain, bone pain, back pain, limb pain, inflammation of joints, muscle pain, fracture and inflammation due to fracture.
- Respiratory reactions- Difficulty in breathing, cough and chest wall pain.
- Letoval is an aromatase inhibitor. It decreases the amount of estrogen (natural female hormone) produced in the body.
- This can slow or stop the growth of some breast cancers that need estrogen to grow.
- The effect of this medicine can be observed in few weeks to few months.
Storage of Letoval
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when consuming Letoval
- Regular monitoring of cholesterol and bone mineral density is needed as decrease in bone mineral density and increase in cholesterol levels are observed in few patients receiving letoval.
- Try to keep cool by wearing light/loose clothes because this medicine can increase sweating and hot flashes.
Is Letoval addictive?
Can I have Letoval with alcohol?
- No as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness and sedation.
Any particular food item to be avoided with Levotal?
- Avoid oily and spicy food.
Can I have Letoval when pregnant?
- Letoval is contraindicated in pregnant patients.
Can I have Letoval when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Letoval?
What happens if I overdose on Letoval?
- Overdosing may cause reduced motor activity, ataxia and other.
What happens if I eat expired Letoval?
- Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Letoval?
- If you miss a dose of Letoval, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double the dose for a missed one.