What is Levolin Syrup?
Used mainly as a bronchodilator in cases of Asthma and other lung diseases like COPD. Decreased potassium level (hypokalaemia) is the major side effect which occurs at high doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of cardiac diseases (heart problems).
- Levolin Syrup Composition – Levosalbutamol 1mg in 100ml of syrup
- Manufactured By – MDC Pharmaceuticals
- Prescription – Required
- Form – Syrup, and tablets
- Price – Rs. 18.2 for 10ml bottle
- Expiry/Shelf Life – 24 months (when stored at the cool place)
- Type of Drug – Bronchodilator
Uses of Levolin Syrup
Levolin Syrup is used to prevent or treat various conditions like:
- Asthma: Used in cases of Asthma.
- COPD: Used in cases of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Airway Constriction: Used to provide relief in constriction of airways (Bronchi).
- Reversible Airway Obstruction: Used to treat airway obstruction.
How does Levolin Syrup work?
- Levolin Syrup contains Levosalbutamol as its main active ingredient.
- Levosalbutamol works by relaxing the bronchial muscles and thereby aids in the easy passage for air to travel.
- Relaxing the bronchial muscles helps to remove any obstruction in the airway.
How to take Levolin Syrup?
- Levolin Syrup is usually available in Syrup form.
- Levolin Syrup is administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or immediately after food.
- The bottle should be shaken up well before consuming the drug and a measuring cup or spoon should be used for proper dose dispensing.
- It is advisable to properly read the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Levolin Syrup
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common dose of Levolin Syrup for children of 6-12 years of age is 5ml Syrup 2-3 times a day.
- For Adults, the commonly recommended dose is 5-10ml syrup 2-3 times a day.
- It is advisable to consult a paediatrician before administering Levolin Syrup in children.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Levolin Syrup?
An overdose of Levolin Syrup can increase the chances of some serious side effects like restlessness, tachycardia, tremor etc. The doctor or trained medical staff should be consulted immediately in case of Levolin Syrup overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Levolin Syrup?
Levolin Syrup may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Levolin Syrup should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Levolin Syrup?
A single dose of expired Levolin Syrup is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Levolin Syrup and till when does the effect of Levolin Syrup stay?
- Levolin Syrup reaches its effect or shows the result within 5-10 minutes after oral administration.
- The effect of Levolin Syrup lasts up to 4-6 hours.
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Levolin Syrup.
When to Avoid Levolin Syrup?
Do not Consume Levolin Syrup:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Levolin Syrup or any of its ingredients.
- Cardiovascular Diseases: In known cases of cardiovascular diseases like cardiac arrhythmias and coronary insufficiency.
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy, Levolin Syrup should be avoided.
Precautions and warnings while Taking Levolin Syrup
- Lactating mothers: It is not advisable to administer Levolin Syrup in lactating mothers.
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Side-Effects of Levolin Syrup
The side effects associated with Levolin Syrup used for different treatments are:
- Palpitation- common
- Dizziness – less common
- Nervousness – Common
- Vomiting – Less Common
- Hypokalemia (decreased potassium levels) – Less Common
- Muscle cramps – Less common
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Levolin Syrup?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Levolin Syrup are:
- Rashes – less common
- Swelling of eyes, face, lips, mouth or tongue – less common
- Loss of consciousness – rare
What are the effects of Levolin Syrup tablets on organs?
- Levolin Syrup should be used with caution in cases of kidney dysfunction as it may require dose modification.
- Levolin Syrup should be avoided or used with caution in patients with ischemic heart disease as it causes increased heart rate and BP fluctuations.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Levolin Syrup. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Levolin Syrup. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Levolin Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Levolin Syrup
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
3. Effects of Levolin Syrup on Lab Tests
Levolin Syrup does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Levolin Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Cardiac Arrhythmias and coronary insufficiency.
Q. Can I have Levolin Syrup with alcohol?
No. The relation of Levolin Syrup with alcohol is unknown and there can be increased chances of side effects when Levolin Syrup is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Levolin Syrup.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided while consuming Levolin Syrup.
Q. Can I have Levolin Syrup when pregnant?
No, Levolin Syrup should be avoided during pregnancy as it can harm the foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Levolin Syrup when feeding a baby?
No, as there is no evidence of harm as well as benefits of consuming Levolin Syrup while feeding a baby. Therefore, it should be avoided as a precautionary measure and the doctor should always be informed in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Levolin Syrup?
Yes, as Levolin Syrup does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Levolin Syrup.
Also Read:Ibugesic Plus Side Effect
Levolin Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Levolin Syrup Variants||Levolin Syrup Composition||Levolin Syrup Price|
|Levolin Inhaler||Levosalbutamol 50mcg||Rs. 175.45|
|Levolin 1mg Tablet||Levosalbutamol 1mg||Rs.5.35|
|Levolin Plus 100ml Syrup||Ambroxol 30mg + Guaifenesin 50mg + Levosalbutamol 1mg/5ml||Rs. 86.51|
|Levolin 2mg Tablet||Levosalbutamol 2mg||Rs. 8.55|
|Levolin 0.63mg 2.5ml respules||Levosalbutamol 0.63mg/2.5ml||Rs. 4.46|
Buy Here: 1mg Offers | Medlife Offers | Netmeds Promo Code | Pharmeasy Promo Codes
Substitutes of Levolin Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Levolin Syrup:
- Lecope 30ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Price – Rs. 24
- Teczine 60ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Price – Rs. 68.25
- Allercalcin L 60ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Retort
- Price – Rs. 47.25
- Laveta 30ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 39.4
Storage requirements for Levolin Syrup Tablets
- Levolin Syrup Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place away from direct heat or light.
- The drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Levolin Syrup
Q. What is Levolin Syrup?
Ans. Levolin Syrup is a bronchodilator drug that helps in making the breathing easy by dilating the bronchial muscles and removing the obstruction.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Levolin Syrup to show results?
Ans. Levolin Syrup shows its effect within 5-10 minutes of administration of the drug.
Q. Should Levolin Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Levolin Syrup should preferably be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Levolin Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Levolin Syrup might cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Levolin Syrup doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Levolin Syrup toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Levolin Syrup should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and should not be unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Levolin Syrup.
Q. Does Levolin Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consults the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Levolin Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Levolin Syrup is safe for children of 5-12 years of age but the Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children below 5 years of age as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Levolin Syrup?
Ans. In cases of cardiac arrhythmias, Levolin Syrup should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Levolin Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.