Librax Composition – Chlordiazepoxide (5mg) + Clidinium (2.5mg)
Manufactured By – Abbott
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 104
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Librax?
Librax is a combination of two drugs, Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium, which is used to treat symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, stomach ulcers, and intestinal spasms. Chlordiazepoxide is a benzodiazepine which acts as anti-anxiety agent whereas Clidinum is an anti-spasmodic agent which relieves muscular spasms.
Manufactured By – Abbott
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Librax can be used in the prevention, control, and treatment of the following diseases:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Acute enterocolitis
- Acute withdrawal symptoms
Librax can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How does Librax work?
- Librax is available as a combination of two drugs in capsule form.
- Chlordiazepoxide is an anti-anxiety agent which enhances the effect of a neurotransmitter called as GABA which is responsible for its anti-anxiety, sedative (sleep-inducing) and anti-convulsant (anti-epileptic) activity.
- Clidinium relaxes the smooth muscles like that of stomach and intestine and also has an anti-secretory effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
Composition of Librax
Active ingredients and composition of Librax tablet:
- Chlordiazepoxide – 5mg
- Clidinium – 2.5mg
Librax Price in India
|2.5 mg / 5 mg Tablet||Rs 114.35|
How to Take Librax?
- The dosage and duration of Librax capsule should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Do not stop taking Librax suddenly as it may cause serious side effects and withdrawal effects.
- Librax is well absorbed orally and should be taken empty stomach before food and at night.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- Librax may become habit forming over the time. Use it wisely.
- Librax should not be stopped in between without doctor’s consent and before the course of the therapy is not completed.
Common Dosage for Librax?
- The optimum dosage of Librax varies with the condition of the patient, age of the patient and the initial response to the drug.
- Dosage should initially be limited to the smallest effective amount to decrease the severity of side effects. The dose can later be increased to get the best results.
- The recommended dose for librax is 1-2 capsules orally for 3-4 times a day before meals and at bedtime.
- In elderly patients, the dose shall be reduced to one capsule orally per day twice a day.
- Do not change your dose or stop taking your medicine suddenly without your doctor’s consent.
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. For best results, it should be taken at a fixed time.
Also Read: Mannitol Dosage | Maxtra Syrup Dosage | Mebex Dosage
When to Avoid Librax?
Librax should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with glaucoma
- Patients with enlarged prostate
- Patients with urinary bladder obstruction
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers
- Patients with a history of drug abuse or alcohol abuse
- Patients with kidney and liver disease
Side-Effects of Librax?
Common side effects with Librax include:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- Painful and difficulty in urination
- Irregular menstrual cycle
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Livogen Side Effect | Lyserd Side Effect
What Are The Effects of Librax on Organs?
Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Librax with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in a few cases.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Librax. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown some interaction with another drug resulting in decreased therapeutic effect and increased chances of side effects. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Librax capsules.
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Librax may interact with the following drugs and products:
Shows Effects / Results In
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
- The effects of Librax start from the same day in the majority of patients. Even if symptoms, disappear, do not stop using the drug suddenly.
Is Librax addictive?
Librax may cause psychological and physical dependence. As it is a habit-forming drug, it should only be taken only when prescribed by the doctor.
Can I have Librax with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Librax therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects and may make you feel sleepy and dizzy along with breathing problems. Consult your doctor before consuming alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction with food products seen.
Can I have Librax when pregnant?
- Usage of Librax during pregnancy is not recommended as it may increase the risk of birth defects in newborns.
- Always communicate with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Librax when feeding a baby?
- Nursing mothers are not recommended to use Librax tablets as chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby.
- Always inform your doctor before if you are breastfeeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Librax?
- Few patients on Librax may experience side effects like sedation, drowsiness, decreased blood pressure, confusion etc.
- Caution must be exercised in such patients when driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Librax?
- It should not be administered in more than recommended dose as it may have deleterious effects.
- Signs of overdosage include confusion, diminished reflexes, excessive dryness of mouth and blurred vision.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Librax?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Librax?
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose – do not take double the dose.
Storage Requirements for Librax
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Librax
Do not stop taking Librax all of a sudden. Stopping Librax on your own suddenly may show serious adverse effects like seizures, stomach and muscle cramps and vomiting.
Also read about other medicine's: Levosulpiride | Lanol-ER