Table of Contents
- What is Lincocin?
- Uses of Lincocin
- How does Lincocin work?
- Lincocin Price in India
- How to take Lincocin?
- Common Dosage of Lincocin
- When to avoid Lincocin?
- Drug interactions to be careful about
- Precautions when taking Lincocin
- Side Effects of Lincocin
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- What Are The Effects of Lincocin on Organs?
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Pro Tips
What is Lincocin?
- Lincocin is a lincosamide antibiotic, prescribed for certain types of bacterial infections
- Lincocin should only be prescribed when other antibiotics are less effective or are not functioning
- Lincocin is only active against bacterial infections; it should not be used in viral infections
- In order to reduce the chances of antibiotic resistance, Lincocin should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly susceptible to this antibiotic
Manufactured By – Pfizer Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Lincocin 600 mg Injection||Lincomycin (600mg)|
|Lincocin 300 mg Injection||Lincomycin (300mg)|
Buy & Get 20% Off using 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
Uses of Lincocin
It is prescribed for:
How does Lincocin work?
- This potent lincosamide antibiotic inhibits protein synthesis by binding to 50S ribosome
- This in turn affects the synthesis of essential proteins required by the bacteria to carry out vital functions thus stopping the bacteria from growing and causing bacterial cell death
Lincocin Price in India
|Lincocin 300 mg Injection||Rs 225|
How to take Lincocin?
- Lincocin is administered orally in the form of capsule
- It is also administered through injection (intramuscular and intravenous)
- Take this medicine on an empty stomach because the food decreases absorption of medicine
Common Dosage of Lincocin
- Common dosage of oral Lincocin is 500 mg capsule, every 12 hours
- Dose of injections is 600 mg (2 ml) given in 12-24 hourly
- If significant diarrhea occurs during therapy, discontinue the treatment
When to avoid Lincocin?
- Avoid Lincocin is you are allergic to it or to any other component present in it
- Before you take this medicine, tell your doctor if you have ulcerative colitis
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use it with caution
Drug interactions to be careful about
Avoid administration of following drugs while taking Lincocin:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
Precautions when taking Lincocin
- Be cautious if you have a history of gastrointestinal disease, liver, kidney problems, and asthma
- Avoid prolonged use of Lincocin otherwise it will cause secondary infection
- This medicine can cause overgrowth of normally harmless bacteria in the intestine which may cause diarrhea. Discontinue the treatment if persistent diarrhea occurs
- Lincocin contains benzyl alcohol which has been associated with Gasping Syndrome in pediatrics patients, leading to multi-system failure
Side Effects of Lincocin
- Abdominal pain
- Pancytopenia (decreased blood cell count)
- Fast heartbeat
- Vaginal discharge/itching
- Skin rash and itching
- Yellow colored eyes or skin
- Hearing impairment
- Pain at the injection site
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Symptoms of allergic reactions:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling on face, throat or hands
What Are The Effects of Lincocin on Organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Inflammation of tongue/mouth/colon, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and itching in anus
- Hematological reactions- Decreased blood cell counts
- Dermatological reactions- Skin rash, hives and vaginal inflammation
- Hepatic reactions- Jaundice and abnormal liver function tests
- Genitourinary reactions- Elevation of blood urea nitrogen, low output of urine and/or protein in urine
- Cardiovascular reactions- Low blood pressure
Shows Effects / Results In
- Lincocin inhibits the protein synthesis which is essential for the bacteria to grow
- It binds to 50S ribosome which causes depletion in protein causing death of bacteria
- Peak level of Lincocin is observed in 2-4 hours following administration. The medicine should not be discontinued even if symptoms disappear until advised by your doctor as it may lead to antibiotic resistance
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture
- Keep it out of reach of children
- Lincocin is not used for the treatment of viral or fungal infections. This antibiotic should only be prescribed in the presence of a strong bacterial infection or else it will increase the risk of development of drug resistant bacteria
- Diarrhea is a very common adverse effect of this medicine which usually ends when the antibiotic is discontinued
Is Lincocin addictive?
Can I have Lincocin with alcohol?
Interaction of Lincocin with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Lincocin when pregnant?
Yes, only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I have Lincocin when feeding a baby?
Yes, only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Lincocin?
What happens if I overdose on Lincocin?
Overdose of Lincocin may cause chest pain, diarrhea, light-headedness or fainting.
What happens if I eat expired Lincocin?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Lincocin?
If you miss a dose of Lincocin, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.