Lipaglyn Composition – Saroglitazar (4mg)
Manufactured By – Zydus Cadila
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 274.8
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Lipaglyn?
Lipaglyn is an orally administered dual regulator drug indicated for the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia with Type II diabetics. The active ingredient of each tablet is 4mg Saroglitazar. Hypertriglyceridemia is a condition in which a person with diabetes has very high blood lipid levels or triglycerides.
Manufactured By – Zydus Cadila
Uses of Lipaglyn
Lipaglyn is prescribed for:
- Diabetic dyslipidemia
- Hypertriglyceridemia with Type II diabetes
How Does Lipaglyn Work?
- Lipaglyn has both lipid and glucose lowering effects in a single molecule.
- Lipaglyn works by lowering the high blood triglycerides as well as blood sugar and improves the insulin resistance.
How to Take Lipaglyn?
- Lipaglyn is administered orally in the form of tablets.
- Lipaglyn is more effective when taken half an hour before the first meal (breakfast). For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time.
- Avoid skipping meals when on anti-diabetic drugs as it may lead to hypoglycaemia.
- Non-pharmacologic therapy (dietary modification, weight control, and exercise) is equally essential to reduce blood glucose levels along with Lipaglyn therapy.
Common Dosage of Lipaglyn
The usual dosage of Lipaglyn is 4mg, given once a day.
When to Avoid Lipaglyn?
- Avoid using Lipaglyn if you are allergic to it or to other ingredients present in it.
- Lipaglyn is not recommended for usage in pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use Lipaglyn with caution.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Caution is required while receiving following drugs together with Lipaglyn:
Precautions When Taking Lipaglyn
- The usage of Lipaglyn requires caution in elderly and children. The efficacy of drugs is not yet known.
- Lipaglyn should be used with caution in patients with abnormal liver or renal function, or history of myopathies.
- The treatment should be initiated with caution in patients with type 2 diabetes having cardiac disease, episodic congestive heart failure and should be monitored for signs and symptoms of congestive heart failure.
Side Effects of Lipaglyn
The following side effects have been reported with Lipaglyn:
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
No allergic reactions of Lipaglyn have been reported yet.
What Are The Effects of Lipaglyn on Organs?
No adverse effects of Lipaglyn have been reported yet.
Shows Effects/Results In
- Lipaglyn starts showing its effect within 24-48 hours by reducing the blood glucose levels. However, the maximum effect takes some time depending upon the severity of condition.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete diabetes control even if symptoms have disappeared.
Storage Requirements for Lipaglyn
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Lipaglyn
Lipaglyn is used to treat Hypertriglyceridemia with type II diabetic patients when statins fail to be effective. Lipaglyn tablets should be administered along with non-pharmacologic therapy (proper dietary modification, weight control and exercise) to achieve the best results.
Is Lipaglyn addictive?
No, Lipaglyn is not addicitive.
Can I have Lipaglyn with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Lipaglyn therapy as it may alter blood sugar levels. Ask your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Lipaglyn when pregnant?
No, Lipaglyn is not recommended during pregnancy as abnormal blood glucose levels during pregnancy are associated with higher incidence of congenital abnormalities.
Can I have Lipaglyn when feeding a baby?
No, Lipaglyn is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus by decreasing blood sugar levels.
Can I drive after taking Lipaglyn?
Yes; until and unless Lipaglyn does not affect thinking ability, drowsiness and alertness.
What happens if I overdose on Lipaglyn?
An overdose of Lipaglyn is not known.
What happens if I eat expired Lipaglyn?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Lipaglyn?
If you miss a dose of Lipaglyn, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.