Table of Contents
- 1 What is Lomotil?
- 2 Uses of Lomotil
- 3 How Does Lomotil Work?
- 4 How to Take Lomotil?
- 5 Lomotil Price in India
- 6 Common Dosage for Lomotil
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Lomotil?
- 8 Side-Effects of Lomotil
- 9 Effects of Lomotil on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Lomotil
- 12 Storage Requirements about Lomotil
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Lomotil
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Lomotil
- 15 Is Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) addictive?
- 16 Can I have Lomotil with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Lomotil when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate)?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Lomotil?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Lomotil?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Lomotil?
- 24 When Was Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) Made?
What is Lomotil?
Lomotil is another name for Diphenoxylate and Atropine, which is an opioid drug. It is a combinational drug and used in combination with atropine. Lomotil is mainly used in the treatment of diarrhoea.
Manufactured By – RPG Life Sciences Ltd
Other variants and composition –
Lomotil Tablet – Atropine 0.25 MG+Diphenoxylate 2.5 MG
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds Discount Coupon
Uses of Lomotil
Lomotil is used to treat drug abuse caused due to the presence of atropine. It is used to treat both acute and chronic diarrhoea only in adults.
How Does Lomotil Work?
Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) slows down the gut movement which would result in the reduction in the number of bowel movements. It will result in stool being less watery.
How to Take Lomotil?
Take Lomotil as the doctor recommends. This drug should be taken in an amount which is prescribed. The dosage may gradually increase or decrease according to the condition.
Lomotil Price in India
|Lomotil Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 10.90|
Also Read: Lisinopril Price | Loratadine Price
Common Dosage for Lomotil
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- The initial dosage for adults is about 20 mg tablets four times a day. It is recommended for people who are more than 13 years old.
- The result will be observed in the next 48 hours.
Precautions – When to Avoid Lomotil?
While taking Lomotil you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t do exercise or get yourself dehydrated and overheated.
- Don’t take Lomotil along with certain medications.
- Avoid Lomotil if you feel nausea.
Side-Effects of Lomotil
Some common side effects of Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) are:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Meloxicam Side Effect | Metformin Side Effect | Mirtazapine Side Effect
Effects of Lomotil on Organs
If the person already has damage in the liver or in its functions, taking Lomotil will increase the chance of side effects.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction varies according to how the drug works. Drugs such as antidepressant, antihistamines, anticholinergics, morphine, antispasmodics interact with Lomotil and cause constipation. Hearing rhythm will get affected when Lomotil interactes with quinidine, pentamidine, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Lomotil
Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) will show its effect to the fullest within 6 to 8 hours after it has been consumed. The effect will last for up to 48 hours.
Storage Requirements about Lomotil
Lomotil can be stored in a closed container at room temperature between 15 to 300C and away from heat and moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Lomotil
Take some extra water while taking Lomotil as it dehydrates the body. Without the doctor’s prescription, you must not take these tablets more than 3 times a day.
FAQs – Things to Know About Lomotil
Is Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) addictive?
Can I have Lomotil with alcohol?
No. Having Lomotil with alcohol will cause drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Fatty foods, dairy products, coffee, and tea, etc.
Can I have Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) when pregnant?
You can take advice from your doctor before taking Lomotil.
Can I have Lomotil when feeding a baby?
Taking Lomotil while breastfeeding can cause side effects in infants.
Can I drive after taking Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate)?
No. You may feel dizzy or drowsy after taking Lomotil.
What happens if I overdose on Lomotil?
It would cause breathing and heart problems and it could even cause death.
What happens if I eat expired Lomotil?
You can expect a loss of potency if Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) is expired.
What happens if I miss a dose of Lomotil?
If you miss a dose of Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Lomotil (Atropine And Diphenoxylate) Made?
Lomotil was made in the year 1956 by Paul Janssen.
Also read about other medicine's: Hydroxyzine | Imodium | Insulin